Subject: REVIEW: KIDS IN THE HALL: BRAIN CANDY (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Scott Marcus)
Date: 7 May 1996 17:13:03 GMT

KIDS IN THE HALL: BRAIN CANDY
                       A film review by Scott Marcus
                        Copyright 1996 Scott Marcus

Cast:  David Foley, Bruce McCulloch, Kevin McDonald, Mark McKinney,
Scott Thompson
Director: Kelly Makin
Writers: : Norm Hiscock, Bruce McCulloch, Kevin McDonald, Mark McKinney,
Scott Thompson
Running Time: approximately 90 minutes
Grade: C-

     The Kids in the Hall are an acquired taste. It took at least a
season of watching their show on HBO before I became a believer.  Maybe
after watching a half dozen Kids in the Hall movies, they would grow
into the big screen. My recommendation is that, unless you are a big
fan of The Kids, skip the film.

     As it is, their first--and most likely only--attempt at a full
length film lacks the qualities that made their comedy work on TV.  A
big-budget and glossy production can not make up for a lack of
spontaneity that permeates their TV show. The Kids go through the
motions, but you get the feeling that they arent really having fun
doing so. And this makes it more difficult for the audience to enjoy
their antics.

     BRAIN CANDY is a bunch of skits tied together by the story of a
pharmaceutical company that develops a new drug to cure depression. In
typical sketch-comedy tradition, each actor plays several roles. Doctor
Cooper (Kevin McDonald) and his team create the drug. Then, under
pressure from Don Roritor (Mark McKinney), founder and president of
Roritor Pharmaceuticals, Dr. Cooper releases the drug into the
marketplace. The ensuing distribution of the new happy pill throughout
the populace drives the rest of the film.

     At about 90 minutes, BRAIN CANDY still seems long. The best thing
about sketch comedy--and The Kids are no exception--is the ability to
quickly deliver the laughs, then go on to another quick skit. But with
the additional set-up necessary in telling a longer, coherent story,
the laughs just dont come fast enough.

     Strangely, the show is even more tame than it was when on cable
TV. The movie makes several attempts at risqueness--mostly by pointing
up the gayness of one of Scott Thompsons characters--but they seem
almost forced; As if they have to live up to a PG rating. One of the
best bits, though, does make use of Thompsons naked buttocks; we see
him charging into battle--going to have sex with some guys taking a
shower.

     In the classic of this genre, Monty Python pulled off this
delicate balancing act between plot advancement and punchline delivery
for most of THE HOLY GRAIL. The Kids, unfortunately, are not up to the
task.  There are some amusing moments, to be sure, but not enough to
make the experience an enjoyable one.

Revision date:  29 April, 1996