Subject: Review: Contact (1997)

From: "Joseph Toscano" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Jul 1997 15:43:47 GMT

Movie Review: Contact
By Joseph Toscano

--
July 1997
[PG]
150 Minutes, 2.5 hours
Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Starring Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey, John Hurt, Tom Skerrit, James
Woods
Score: ***** / *****  or  9 / 10
SPOILER WARNING - some of the review may contain information regarding the
plot of the movie. If you haven't seen it already, take caution.
--

Finally.

After being tortured endlessly with the "explosive summer films" which
contain special effects and nothing more, and some other cheesy wannabe
dramas, along comes a truly satisfying and thoroughly enjoyable experience.
An experience called "CONTACT."

You've read other reviews probably. And most state what a good movie
CONTACT was. But it was more than good. It was actually a relaxing,
cleansing, refreshing type of "good" because it really showed that the
movies still can be movies, not just a show of special effects wizardry or
a tiring piece of unimaginative drivel, even despite some raging stinkers
that have come along, such as "MR. NANNY" and "8 HEADS IN A DUFFEL BAG."

Now the film, many say, was too long. I don't view it as being too long. I
view it as being masterfully stretched out. I loved watching it and taking
in every little tiny detail -- not to confuse and boggle the mind (much
like MISSION:IMPOSSIBLE did... aye...) but to just make the experience much
more enjoyable.

But when it actually comes to scenes in the film, they couldn't have been
done better. The very first scene is a majestic trip through our galaxy and
beyond -- just to show how small we are in comparison to this great
vastness that has been created.

The word creation has meaning in the story, too. When people think of what
kind of movie CONTACT was, they usually say it was Sci-fi. And yes it
definitely is dealing with science, but it is also a drama of science and
religion actually conflicting. This isn't just a movie made for special
effects, like I said before, much like Independence Day, it's a move meant
to either make you think, or make you more secure in what you believe in.

But just because the movie wasn't made specifically to show off special
effects, that doesn't mean that the few special effects contained in the
movie weren't spectacular. Though only boasted for a short while, the
special effects are perhaps the most amazing effects I have ever seen. They
don't simply please the eye, they stir the mind in a fascinating, dark way.
When Ellie's face is "blurred" out, during her descent in the worm hole,
speaks, and then later you hear her speak the same exact thing, chills run
up your spine. Yes the effects are amazing, but what makes them even more
amazing is the fact that they are enclosed in an excellent film.

But, of course, no film is entirely "perfect." There are definitely some
things that could have been improved upon. One thing that I personally felt
could really use some work is the whole ordeal involving S.R. Hadden. It
just didn't make sense when you first saw the man. I mean, I thought he was
going to be some evil sadistic character when I first saw him on the
screen. But of course the outcome was different. The Palmer Joss character
played by McConaughey really needed a little more effort. The characters in
some cases were flat and 2-dimensional. But I think the wonder and
excellence of the movie cancels out the imperfections.

When it comes to the ending of the movie, I really was satisfied. I've
heard that many people were disappointed because of what occurred in the
hearing. Yes it was disappointing. But once I heard the comment made by
Angela Bassett's character, Rachel, "It recorded 18 hours of static..." I
knew that seeing this movie was not a disappointment after all. I was truly
satisfied.

Yes, CONTACT is satisfying. It's wonderful. It leaves you with things to
think about, and a sense of closure... many other things that just make a
movie great. Really, I've never heard such a quiet theater, such thunderous
applause, or so many gasps when the "For Carl" screen was shown.

So go see CONTACT, and treat yourself to a good time. ;)

-- Joseph Toscano (July 18, 1997) [email-masked]