Subject: Review: Contact (1997)

From: "Michael J. Legeros" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jul 1997 15:44:04 GMT

Contact (1997)

                      A movie review by Michael J. Legeros
                      Copyright 1997 by Michael J. Legeros

(WB)
Directed by     Robert Zemeckis
Written by      James V. Hart and Michael Goldenberg, based on a story
                by Carl Sagan and Ann Druyan, based on the novel by Carl
                Sagan
Cast            Jodie Foster, Matthew McConaughey, James Woods, Tom
                Skerritt, William Fichtner, Angela Bassett, John Hurt,
                Rob Lowe, David Morse, Jena Malone
MPAA Rating     "PG-13"
Running Time    150 minutes
Reviewed at     The Imperial, Cary, NC (05JUL97)

==

     Reliable Robert Zemeckis (FORREST GUMP) directs this glossy, easy-
to-follow adaptation of Carl Sagan's science-fiction novel, about a
radio astronomer (Jodie Foster) who intercepts the first intergalactic
e-mail addressed to the planet Earth, and then finds herself at the
center of controversies political, religious, and scientific.  (As the
trailer so kindly gives away, the alien-o-gram contains a blueprint for
a transport device.  And you can guess who has a First Class ticket.)
Closer to a character study than an epic sci-fi flick, CONTACT has a
little of something for everyone.  There's action, with people running
around a small lab, shouting technical terms and excitedly staring at
computer screens.  (Who knew that radio astronomy involved so much
adrenaline?)  There's romance, involving a hunky religious scholar
(Matthew McConaughey).  There's intrigue (of the White House variety),
some real suspense (how about those countdown sequences!), a couple of
science lessons (hey, you learn about prime numbers *and* Occam's
Razor!), a surface-level discussion of faith versus proof, and, even,
the occasional hint of hilarity.  (Check out the lunatic fringe that
sets up camp outside Cape Canaveral.  I spotted an Elvis impersonator.)

     And there's so much more:  great photography, exceptional effects,
a ready-made supporting cast (James Woods acting antagonistic, Angela 
Bassett being stern, etc.), loads of convenient dramatic invention (look,
there's someone on the gantry who shouldn't be there!), and cameos by, I
believe, CNN's entire on-air staff.  Everything fits together exactly as
it should and, at times, almost painfully perfunctorily so.  (Is this
the most exciting boring movie of the summer?  Or does that distinction
belong to FACE/OFF?)  Yup, everything fits together very nice and neat,
except for the ending, which, depending upon your sensibilities, is
either a major or minor botch.  (I found it as distracting as Foster's
narration during her magic carpet ride.)  When all is said and done, no
one in the film, including Foster's seemingly smart cookie, thinks to
ask the obvious and most logically scientific response to the hubbub:
"repeat the damn experiment and see if you get the same results."  Sigh.
Well, if nothing else, CONTACT is a summer movie that (a.) makes you
think and (b.) makes you think about the scientific method and, hell,
that's more brain power than you've probably used in the last six weeks.
And you *do* get to see stellar sights, such as the sculpted profiles of
McConaughey and Foster, when they turn away from the camera to kiss.
Have you ever seen such perfect noses?

     Grade: B

-
Mike Legeros - Movie Hell
http://www.nonvirtual.com/hell/