Subject: Review: Contact (1997)

From: "Choo Eng Aun, Jack" <[email-masked]>
Date: 24 Oct 1997 00:01:01 GMT

CONTACT (1997)

Reviewed by Jack Choo

Directed by Robert Zemeckis
Starring - Jodie Foster 
	Matthew McConaughey 
	Tom Skerritt
	James Woods
Running Time : 2hrs 30mins 

Ratinng : ***1/2 out of ****

FAITH, LOVE, HOPE AND SCI-FI

When I first heard of CONTACT, the hype was building it up as a sci-fi
blockbuster. Now, with that in mind, coupled with the knowledge of Jodie
Foster's involvement in the project, I thought "What in the world is Foster
doing in a sci-fi blockbuster???". As it turned out, my expectations were
completely nullified and turned topsy-turvy. Robert Zemeckis, back from the
euphoria created by his last film, FORREST GUMP, once again proves his
mastery in fusing tales of adventure with along the endearing lines of
human spirit. 

Don't get me wrong, CONTACT is sci-fi…but with a definite difference. Based
on the late Carl Sagan novel of the same name, the story delves itself in
questions on science and god; fact and faith. Allie (Foster) is a radio
astronomer. She spends her time listening to the stars, via ultra-huge
communication dishes in search of intelligent life beyond the Solar System.
Her passion for `long-distance communication' is the result of her younger
days being spent avidly in front of a ham-radio system (a hobbyist radio
communication device) which her late-father bought for her. A scene which
particularly strengthens the audiences' view of the passion is when she
asked her father whether she could contact her late-mother through the
ham-radio system in which her father replied "Not even the most powerful
radio in the world can do that, now".

Allie's research is based on the SETI project (Search for Extra Terrestrial
Intelligence), in which she listens to radio emissions from other galaxies
in the hope of finding one which would suggest intelligent manipulation.
Her work has never been off the scrutiny of the US government, which
considers it a waste of taxpayer's money and politically unviable, her
supervisor (Tom Skerritt) pulls the plug on SETI. Undaunted, Allie managed
to gather a loyal group of `believers' and eventually found funding from a
large private corporation. The following months were treacherous to their
hopes and research as they are contantly pressured by the government but
all that changed when one day, she caught an emission of a seemingly
intelligent repeating sound-wave. The news of her find attracted hordes of
alien believers, cultist, the media and of course, the government. The
situation became intense upon her discovery of pictorial plans on building
a form of transport which were embedded within the repeating sound
emission.

As the world join forces to build this transport, Allie is desperate to be
the one to go. She enrols herself among a few hopefuls, to represent the
world when the transport is ready for operation. Her eligibility for the
spot failed when she is questioned on her beliefs in the existence of god
by the President's spiritual advisor (McConaughey); Allie, being an
atheist, a result of her belief in fact and science, refuses to budge upon
questioning. At this point the movie plot thickens considerably as she is
romantically involved with the President's spiritual advisor. 

A strong point which propelled the movie is the depth of its main
characters played by Foster and McConaughey. From the very first meeting
scene, it is obvious that the two of them was sort of kindred spirits but
they were worlds apart in almost all aspects, Foster being a person drawn
to science and facts and McConaughey being one who believes in faith, hope
and the power of the unseen. The meeting of their worlds, added with the
situation which they are put into makes the entire storytelling process
near flawless. Many people who read the synopsis of this film would find it
a tad too ridiculous, but by actually immersing yourself in it, gives you
an entirely different perspective; one which is free from bias and
pre-conceptions. Zemeckis and his team of screen writers have done a
remarkable job in telling this tale through film. 

CONTACT works by NOT delving in controversy but rather, touches the
thinking audience, urging them to ponder upon the questions raised in the
film concerning fact and faith; whether one can actually find compromise
within. I consider CONTACT as one of the must-sees for this year.