Subject: Robert Silverberg's Time Tours: GLORY'S END by Nick Baron

From: [email-masked] (Evelyn C. Leeper)
Date: 18 Mar 91 13:48:28 GMT

Robert Silverberg's Time Tours: GLORY'S END by Nick Baron
		   Harper, 1990, ISBN 0-06-106013-5, $3.50.
		      A book review by Evelyn C. Leeper
		       Copyright 1991 Evelyn C. Leeper

     Well, it was time travel and alternate history (or at least a "change
war" sort of book) so, "YA novel" or not, I picked it up.  It's written in
the same universe as Robert Silverberg's UP THE LINE, with the same sort of
time travel (minus all the sex, of course), which is why his name is above
the title and Nick Baron's is at the bottom of the cover.  As a young adult
novel, it would be passable enough ... *except*.  Except that not once, but
twice, the book gives the year of the Gettysburg Address as 1883 instead of
1863!  (Yes, it's an alternate history, but not *that* alternate.)  For this I
blame not "Nick Baron" (whoever s/he might be), and certainly not Robert
Silverberg , but the poor typesetting/proof-reading at Harper.  Is this
unwarranted nit-picking?  Given the sad state of education today, I think
not, because young readers could well walk away from this book thinking that
the Gettysburg Address *was* in 1883.  If Harper would get their act together,
they could have a promising series here, of which this is the second.  The
first was THE ROBIN HOOD AMBUSH by William Wu.  The third will be (has
been?) TIMECRIME, INC. by John D. MacDonald and Debra Doyle, due out in
February.  (Oh, and one final question: is it just my cynicism, or is the
word "glory" in this title just in cash in on the movie GLORY's popularity?
I can't recall ever hearing the word applied to the Civil War until now.)

Evelyn C. Leeper   |   +1 908 957 2070   |   att!mtgzy!ecl or [email-masked]