Subject: REVIEWS: Four Disappearing Films

From: [email-masked] (Mark R. Leeper)
Date: 10 Jun 93 20:29:00 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.movies. -Moderator]

                          Four Disappearing Films
                      A film review by Mark R. Leeper
		       Copyright 1993 Mark R. Leeper

     One of the things I like to do occasionally in my film reviews is to
make reference to some very good film that I doubt most of my readers have
heard of and that I would like to call some attention to.  There are a lot
of decent films, and a handful of very good ones, that at this point may
exist only in the film libraries of obscure television stations, and when
these few prints disappear the films will be gone.  I would like to generate
some interest in four of these films, if not to help save them, at least to
alert people that if you do get a chance to see these films, it is a rare
chance and you should give them a try.

     Of course, there are a lot of obscure films that are showing up on
videotape today, many of them very poorly-made films, and it is ironic that
some terrific films are being over-looked, but in each case I think I can
understand why some producer would think the film would not sell well on
tape.  There are three science fiction films and one horror film.  However,
none of the film has special effects.  Particularly for science fiction,
people have come to expect visual effects.  I guess they feel that if they
do not really enjoy the story then at least there will be something
interesting to watch.  These films are just actors in front of a camera,
perhaps with a very rudimentary make-up effect thrown in (but very little).
Three of the films are in black and white and unfortunately that is also
considered to be a strike against a film.  I still recommend these films
highly to watch for.

            THE MIND BENDERS (1962) (directed by Basil Dearden)

     This film combines Cold War thriller elements with science fiction and
a compelling human story.  A scientist working on sensory deprivation
commits suicide and is discovered to have been passing secrets to the
Soviets.  Was he to blame or could his mind have been twisted while under
the influence of the sensory deprivation tank?  The government decides to
experiment to find out.  Another scientist working in the same field (played
by Dirk Bogarde) is very devoted to his wife and family.  Can they change
that in his personality while he is in the tank?  This film is well-acted,
enthralling, and atmospheric.

             UNEARTHLY STRANGER (1963) (directed by John Kirsh)

     A secret project is working on space exploration right in the heart of
London.  The approach to exploration is a novel one.  Rather than sending
the whole human into space, they are working on a sort of technological
out-of-body experience.  Project your mind to another planet and there have
it take on physical form ... invasion by mental projection.  The rub is that
scientists on the project are being killed in some mysterious way involving
super-high energy.  And the wives of some of the scientists seem to have no
background that project security can trace.  The script is tense and the
acting is quite good, with a cast that includes John Neville (A STUDY IN
TERROR, THE ADVENTURES OF BARON MUNCHAUSEN) and Jean Marsh (UPSTAIRS,
DOWNSTAIRS).  (This film is so obscure that Leonard Maltin's usually very
complete MOVIE AND VIDEO GUIDE overlooks it.)

               DARK INTRUDER (1965) (directed by Harvey Hart)

     This film is only 59 minutes long and originally was intended as a
television pilot, but was released to theaters to play with films such as
William Castle's I SAW WHAT YOU DID--which it far out-classed.  Leslie
Nielson plays a detective in late 19th Century San Francisco whose foppish
appearance hides a man very knowledgeable and adept in matters of the occult
and the supernatural.  A series of unsolved murders and a friend's blackout
spells may be connected and have some occult significance.  Mark Richman and
Werner Klemperer also star.  The latter, best known as the gullible
commandant from HOGAN'S HEROES, does a terrific job in a sinister role.

              QUEST FOR LOVE (1971) (directed by Ralph Thomas)

     This film is loosely adapted from the short story "Random Quest" by
John Wyndham.  Colin Trafford (played by Tom Bell) is a  leading scientist
at Britain Imperial Physical Institute when one of his experiments goes
wrong.  Suddenly he finds himself in a parallel London in a parallel Britain
that has not been to war since the Great War in the early part of the
century.  Trafford here is not a physicist, but a popular playwright.  He is
also now married to a beautiful woman (played by Joan Collins) whose life he
has made miserable with his selfish ways and his philandering.  Can Colin
convince the world he is the playwright while convincing his new wife that
he is different?  Then there are plot complications that lead to a fast-
paced climax across parallel worlds.  Denholm Elliot also stars in the story
which is part science fiction adventure and part love story.

     Of these four films only the last is in color.  At present, the only
one available on video, UNEARTHLY STRANGER, is offered only by a tiny
specialty house, Sinister Cinema.  Of the four, only QUEST FOR LOVE has
played on New York area television in the last fifteen years.  I would much
like to get my hands on copies of THE MIND BENDERS or DARK INTRUDER.

					Mark R. Leeper
					att!mtgzfs3!leeper
					[email-masked]
					Copyright 1993 Mark R. Leeper