Subject: REVIEW: KIDS, MORTAL KOMBAT, THE PROPHECY, THE USUAL SUSPECTS (Capsules)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 1995 22:36:08 GMT

Capsules of KIDS, KOMBAT, PROPHECY, and SUSPECTS
	A movie review by Michael J. Legeros
	Copyright 1995 by Michael J. Legeros

Contents
  - KIDS
  - MORTAL KOMBAT
  - THE PROPHECY
  - THE USUAL SUSPECTS

KIDS

Once you get past the novelty of their uncensored (and unrated) behavior,
the remarkable first film from celebrated photographer Larry Clark becomes a
bit of a bore.  Though realistic enough to qualify as a documentary, the
*extremely* explicit story skirts dangerously close to the one-note
repetition of pornography.  (Which some will label this film as.)

KIDS is compelling, but cold.  There's very little joy in the lives of these
promiscuous, drug-abusing Manhattan teens.  I'd like to see a greater
contrast between the "adult" abusive behaviors and the "children" performing
them.  Alas, this is Clark's vision of hell, and his sermon has no place for
poignancy.

Grade: B+

MORTAL KOMBAT

A single hour of this was plenty for me.  Too much talk; too little action.
(And poorly filmed at that.)  Far more interesting were the male patrons who
began grunting as the MORTAL KOMBAT theme played over the opening credits.
Perhaps experiencing some sort of post-video combat stress syndrome?  Great
theme music, tho.

THE PROPHECY

Screenwriter Gregory Widen (BACKDRAFT, HIGHLANDER) makes his directing debut
with a modestly engaging religious thriller that wouldn't have been out of
place 20 years ago as a follow-up to THE EXORCIST.  Now, in the nineties,
where standards are *much* higher, plot problems and cheap FX nearly sink
the fascinating premise of renegade angels waging a millennia-old war on
Earth.  (The situation isn't helped by that awful, ambiguous title.  The
original-- GOD'S ARMY-- was much better.)

Christopher Walken stars as Gabriel, horn player extraordinare and leader of
the rogue seraphs.  He's delightfully wicked in his cross-country search
for the "blackest" of human souls.  Also watch Viggo Mortensen, sinister fun
as the late-arriving Lucifier.  Less appealing is the opposition.  The good
guys include Simon (Eric Stoltz) and his human helper Thomas Dagget (Elias
Koteas), a former priest-turned-police investigator.  Both are a bore.

Grade: C+

THE USUAL SUSPECTS

I don't know if you'll find a better film in Triangle theaters this week
than Bryan Singer's THE USUAL SUSPECTS.  His tale of a "heist gone bad" is
told in detailed flashback, as part of an interrogation between the sole
surviving participant (Kevin Spacey) and a very-interested investigator
(Chazz Palminteri).  These two are the anchors of a top-notch ensemble cast
that includes Stephen Baldwin, Gabriel Byrne, Kevin Pollack, Pete
Postlethwaite, Benicio Del Toro, and Dan Hedaya.

The convoluted plot requires a second viewing to fully appreciate the
intricacies of Christopher McQuarrie's ingenious screenplay.  Hint: take
notes.  However confusing to the uninitiated, THE USUAL SUSPECTS rewards on
more levels than I choose to describe here.  My favorite is the lush score
by John Ottman, who, oddly enough, also edited the picture.  Recommended.

Grade: A-

--
Michael J. Legeros    :
SAS Institute Inc.    :  "All of life's riddles are answered in the movies."
[email-masked]   :                    - Steve Martin in GRAND CANYON
919-677-8000  x6735   :