Subject: Review: What Planet are you from? (2000)

From: Ross Anthony <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Mar 2000 03:16:12 GMT

Harold the Alien-Hearted
What Planet are you from?

By Ross Anthony

Admittedly, I love Garry Shandling. For those of you who don't appreciate
his wry sense of humor and constipation-faced guise; well, probably you're
better off missing this one.

But for those to whom the name Garry Shandling means nothing, go see it.
It's funny. It's light-hearted, and best of all you'll leave the theater
feeling good.

Oh, one more warning: There's quite a bit of comedic play on
not-necessarily-flattering male/female stereotypes. But remember this is a
comedy. And of course, there's the sexual humor. But again, this is a film
about an alien (Shandling) who comes to Earth with one mission and one
mission only ... impregnate an earthling woman.

That said, one might expect a silly script of "Mel Brooks" quality starring
unknowns or at best B-comics. The great thing about "What Planet are you
from?" is that it stars high-powered actors like Bening and Kinnear. And
Shandling's just as strong. Not only that, but the script is sharper,
cleaner and oddly has a lot of heart: Bustin' your gut while still managing
to tighten up your throat.

I liked it a lot.

What Planet are you from? Copyright © 2000. Rated R.
Starring Garry Shandling, Annette Bening, Greg Kinnear, Ben Kingsley, Linda
Fiorentino And John Goodman.
Directed by Mike Nichols.
Screenplay by Garry Shandling & Michael Leeson and Ed Solomon and Peter
Tolan Story By Garry Shandling & Michael Leeson.
Produced By Mike Nichols, Garry Shandling and Neil Machlis At Columbia.

Grade..........................A-

--
Copyright © 2000. Ross Anthony, currently based in Los Angeles, has scripted
and shot documentaries, music videos, and shorts in 35 countries across
North America, Europe, Africa and Asia. For more reviews visit:
http://RossAnthony.com