Subject: Review: What Planet Are You From? (2000)

From: Jamey Hughton <[email-masked]>
Date: 23 Mar 2000 05:44:23 GMT

WHAT PLANET ARE YOU FROM?
**1/2 (out of four stars)
A review by Jamey Hughton

Starring-Garry Shandling, Annette Bening, Greg Kinnear,
John Goodman, Ben Kingsley and Linda Fiorentino
Director-Mike Nichols
Canadian Rating-14A
Released by Columbia Pictures - 03/00

MOVIE VIEWS by Jamey Hughton
http://Welcome.to/MovieViews

After a wearisome floating space disclaimer akin to the “Star Wars”
movies, the alien sex comedy “What Planet Are You From?” changes its
setting to an environment that many audience members will likely find
disturbing. In a futuristic auditorium on a distant planet, there is
row-upon-row of men. These men seem to be the sole inhabitants of a
planet which has focused their highly advanced technology on a universal
takeover. Their latest target is Earth. One chosen member of the alien
colony is to travel to Earth, whereupon he will impregnate a single
female with his extraterrestrial seed so that the hostile takeover may
commence. The lucky guy is H1449-6 (Garry Shandling), who will adopt the
name Harry Anderson and be given a special reproductive attachment to
fulfill his mission. An unexpected side effect: when excited, Harry’s
genitalia hums.

And so marks the basis of this loosely amusing but scattershot and
disorderly comedy from veteran director Mike Nichols, who previously
pulled a comedic ace out of his sleeve with “The Birdcage” in 1996.
“What Planet Are You From?” is a pet project that Shandling has been
nursing for four years, and with such an array of versatile talent
involved, the film itself is more than a trifle underwhelming. Although
it boasts some hearty belly laughs and a generally sweet and warmhearted
nature, “What Planet Are You From?” leaves the chalky residue of a movie
that fails to meet its original promise. The film is mundane and watery,
but once you’re in the presence of its harmless approach of genial
nonchalance, you’ll find it agreeable just the same.

The cast certainly tweaks the curiosity. Once on Earth, Harry’s sleazy
co-worker Perry Gordon (Greg Kinnear) takes him to an AA meeting to
scope the chicks. Susan Hart (Annette Bening), a free-spirited soul
attempting to start again from square one in the relationship circle, is
the woman he meets there. Now, back on his distant home planet, Harry
was lectured in the proper methods to pick up an Earth woman (so that he
may impregnate her later, of course). These methods include “telling the
Earth female she smells nice” and “complimenting her on her stylish
shoes.” Once he finds himself in the heat of the battle, Harry discovers
that smooth-talking a lady isn’t as elementary as perhaps anticipated.
Watching side-splitting sequences such as Harry and Susan’s first date
are like rainbow sprinkles dispersed over this otherwise bland vanilla
concoction, because Shandling’s perfected sense of comic timing is given
time to shine. It’s unfortunate that there isn’t more screen time
dedicated to these bare essentials; instead, Nichols’ and company sculpt
the film into a feel-good drama. And multiple subplots weave through the
central plot, including the infatuation of Federal Aviation Agent Roland
Jones (John Goodman), who is very much onto Harry.

Even when it does shift gears into a light romantic comedy, featuring
Harry developing human emotions, “What Planet Are You From?” is sweet
and innocuous. But at the same time, it feels oddly detached and
careless, like it was assembled by chimpanzees equipped with scotch
tape. Numerous loose ends are never tied up, and the screenplay
frequently declines the opportunity to chart further into the realm of
comedic possibilities. Luckily, the enjoyable supporting cast is full of
bright and enjoyable faces. Kinnear reverses personalities and is fun as
the arrogant jerk, while Goodman and Ben Kingsley (as the leader of the
alien race) offer reliable support. The only certified shame is the
thorough waste of Linda Fiorentino (“Dogma”), who plays Perry’s alluring
wife in a mere window dressing role.

Believe it or not, Shandling and Bening actually make a cute couple. The
lack of progress achieved with his character is neutralized by Bening’s
lively, lovable performance, and the
pair together spark a sensation of innocent charm. They amplify the
otherwise rickety second half of “What Planet Are You From?” to
enjoyable romantic fluff. In certain spots, it’s also laugh-out-loud
funny... so collectively, why does “Planet” unhinge? It would be the
overdose of humming penis jokes if that particular sight gag wasn’t
fresh and inspired. No, it’s the fact that the film seems to be
puttering along without a piece of its own anatomy... this one being
closer to the heart. The only otherworldly aspect of “What Planet Are
You From?” is that, with such a terrific cast and experienced director,
the finished product isn’t funnier.

© 2000, Jamey Hughton

MOVIE VIEWS by Jamey Hughton
http://Welcome.to/MovieViews

Your Comments Appreciated!  [email-masked]