Subject: Review: X-Files (1998)

From: "Ted Prigge" <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Jul 1998 15:56:49 GMT

THE X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE (1998)
A Film Review by Ted Prigge
Copyright 1998 Ted Prigge

Director: Rob Bowman
Writer: Chris Carter (story by Carter and Frank Spotnitz)
Starring: David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Martin Landau, John Neville,
Armin Mueller-Stahl, William B. Davis, Blythe Danner, Terry O'Quinn, Glenne
Headley, Lucas Black, Mitch Pileggi

The entire concept of "The X-Files" is extremely seductive: that we are
being allowed to see things that we're really not supposed to be seeing,
and that the more we know, the more mortal danger we are in.  It's at once
frightening and almost orgasmic to learn things that we're not supposed to
be knowing, and that must be the real draw to the show...at least it that
was the draw of the movie for me.

I have perhaps seen the TV show twice, maybe twice-and-a-half, and one
would think that since this is a film that does not try to pander to those
who don't watch the show (like me), that I would have a bitch of a time
following the complex plot this film lays out.  True, the film does not
insult those who have staked a living watching this show from the start
(there is no formal introduction to anything that goes on, no explanation
of what the "X-Files" really are), but it is able to walk on a tight rope
between never annoying the regular viewers and also not perplexing any
newbies to the area of X-Philedom.

But it won't hurt to do some research, in fact it may really help a lot. 
>From the shows I've watched and the article I read in "Newsweek" last week,
I was able to understand what the X-Files really are, the nature of the two
protagonists' relationship, and also able to point out a couple of the
supporting characters (Look!  There's "Cigarette-Smoking Man!"  Look! 
There's "Well-Manicured Man!"  But who are those three dorks hovering over
David Duchovny and why is everyone in the theatre laughing at them?!).

The film, as I see it, is really an expansion of the TV series, not only
coming off as a two-hour episode with a mighty-big budget and grade-A
special effects, but also as a starting point for some explanations of some
of the bigger secrets the series hides up.  As the show often deals with
the discovery and potential cover-up of extra-terristrials, the film
decides to unearth some of the deeper conspiracies about this subject.  The
film's focus is on the discovery of a certain slimy alien that is first
discovered in 3500 B.C. in Texas during the Ice Age (someone in the
audience ACTUALLY shouted out "There's no snow in Texas!" - true story) and
is then found out by an ill-fated little boy (Lucas Black, the kid from
"Sling Blade").

After an admittingly sloppy-as-hell cover-up (which brings about disturbing
memories of Oklahoma City), our two favorite Special Agents, Fox Mulder and
Dana Scully (David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson), rightly smell something
fishy and discover some alien virus cover-up material...only to find
themselves separated by the big cheeses in the FBI (headed by none other
than Blythe Danner).  Of course, they secretly get back together, and begin
to dig a little deeper.

That's enough description of the plot, in fact it may be too much.  Part of
the fun of watching this film is being able to walk into it with very
little knowledge of what's going to happen, and then being surprised by
every big twist and turn.  But I'm not exactly sure how much is revealed in
this film, because I don't know everything that has gone on in the show,
but the real power of the film is that the film is not so much about what
we learn as it is about the fact that we're actually learning it.  The
direction by series regular Rob Bowman is wonderfully eerie, and the
production design is icy and forboding.  Everywhere they go looks
unwelcome, and it gives off the feel that we just shouldn't be in there but
we can't help ourselves.  The show's power is that we all want to know the
truth, but finding it can easily cost us our lives.

However, the film often becomes a little cheap, and by the end, even the
most ardent fan will not know exactly what has been found out.  I suppose
the fact that the show is still on the air (and there's still the
potentiality of more films in the series) permitted the writers from
revealing everything, and thus wrapping up the film nicely.  And I have to
admit that as the film goes on, it often forgets some of the things it
started, thus confusing the audience a little more.

But for every problem you can discover with it, there's at least two things
to admire.  The two leads nicely convert to the big screen, even Duchovny's
deadpan deliver of almost all of his lines, and especially Anderson's
intensity.  Although we get very little character development, we honestly
don't need any: they're so likable that any real expansion into their
characters would be a distraction from the real points of the concept that
is "The X-Files."  And we also get some interesting performances from the
supporting characters, the best coming from Martin Landau as a man who
knows everything about conspiracies and lurks in the shadows and bars,
trying to find the right person to spill his guts to, and another great
performance coming from John Neville, continuing his role as Well-Manicured
Man from the series, who's incredible amount of wrinkles make him look like
the most eerie person on this earth (also look for a brief Armin
Mueller-Stahl as one of the old creepy guys running the world).

And, of course, the film has a sense of humor, not only in Duchovny's
admittingly droll performance, but also in those little comic moments (my
favorite being the scene where Duchovny and Landau share a piss on an "ID4"
poster - ha ha).  The best thing a film that is as serious as this can have
is a great sense of humor.

The best way to view the film is as a really intelligent popcorn flick. 
There's a lot of big action sequences, which are often extremely tense (a
couple of time, yes, I gripped my arm chair), and are directed with the
right amount of intelligence and intensity.  And you always have to at
least be intrigued by any film where the main intent is to try and discover
exactly what's really out there.  The way I see it, "The X-Files" is
successful in two ways: for regular viewers, it whets their appetites to
continue watching; for rookies, it just makes them want to watch the show
on a regular basis.

MY RATING (out of 4): ***

Homepage at: http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/8335/