

THE X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE (1998)

A film review by Steve Kong
Edited by Cher Johnson
Copyright 1998 Steve Kong

Don't Miss The X-Files: Fight The Future!

Am I biased? Maybe. I've been an X-Files watcher since episode one and
haven't missed an episode since. I buy anything with the X-Files logo or
name on it: I have stacks of X-Files books, an X-File cup, X-Files posters,
fan.

I guess you can imagine the wait I endured after I heard in June of 1997
that The X-Files movie was starting its shoot. When the teasers hit the big
screen I was ecstatic; my two favourite FBI agents were going to be on the
big screen.

The X-Files: Fight The Future has to do two things: It has to satisfy the
die-hard X-Philes, like myself, and it has to entertain casual viewers.
Does the film do both?

The X-Files starts with three TV-style teaser bits. The first starts us off
in 35,000 BC, in the area of Texas. The second brings us to present time in
the same place. The third is longer, more exciting, and is a fitting
introduction to our favourite heroes.

The third TV-style teaser shows a bomb blowing off the front face of a
building in Texas. Special Agents Mulder (David Duchovny) and Scully
(Gillian Anderson) are being blamed for the explosion and the resulting
deaths. Mulder doesn't want to be the scapegoat in such an incident and
coerces Scully into investigating in order to clear their names. The
investigation leads to the duo finding out more than we can imagine.

If I tell you what the investigation turns up, I'll be spoiling the film
for you. But, let me give you some hints to what it turns up: informants in
dark alleys, a Smoking Man, a Well-Manicured Man, a deadly virus, corn
crops, bees, and more questions than answers.

Chris Carter, the creator of The X-Files, during the filming of the movie
bombarded us X-Philes with misinformation, trying to keep the plot a
secret. He did a good job. The last few episodes of The X-Files TV show
builds up the story that leads into the film. But, there is no prerequisite
of having seen the TV show to thoroughly enjoy the film. Carter, who wrote
the screenplay for the movie, does an incredible job of introducing us to
the characters and doing exposition in ways that don't scream "This is a
speech to fill you in on background and characters!" Watch for Mulder in
the bar to see how Carter intelligently hides exposition in a speech that
fits into the story so well. Also look for the scene where Mulder and
Scully come to a fork in the road; this scene so fittingly shows how well
these two work together.

As for the performances of the leads, both Duchovny and Anderson make the
leap from the small screen to the big screen without a hitch. Duchovny
brings his trademark under-acting to the big screen along with his dry
humor. Anderson looks stunning on the big screen. She brings her trademark
stoic acting to the screen along with her now famous scream, "MULDER!"
Kudos to both Duchovny and Anderson for not trying something new for the
big screen version of the show.

Among the supporting cast, Martin Landau and Armin Mueller-Stahl are
standout performances. I was sad not to see Krycek (aka "Ratboy") in the
film and was somewhat disappointed with the small role that the Smoking Man
(William B. Davis) was given. Other X-Files regulars show up also,
including Assistant Director Skinner (Mitch Pileggi), The Lone Gunmen (Dean
Haglund, Bruce Harwood, Tom Braidwood), and The Well Manicured Man (John
Neville).

Worth mentioning are the score by Mark Snow and the wonderful
cinematography by Ward Russell. Snow's score is haunting and rhythmic.
Russell's cinematography is the big screen extension of his work on the
small screen. The film is dark and moody.
A regular director on the TV series, Rob Bowman, directs this big screen
version and keeps the movie clipping along at a good pace. He also keeps
the scares coming.

The X-Files: Fight The Future is a two hour-long big budget episode of the
TV series. It is exciting to see Duchovny and Anderson together on the big
screen. The movie itself serves its purpose well: it satisfies the die-hard
viewers. I do feel that the casual watchers will get more satisfaction out
of the film, though. Carter promised a lot when he promoted the film ("The
truth is revealed") and there are still a lot of remaining questions, but
that doesn't bother me because there's a sixth season of The X-Files right
around the corner. The film serves to reinvigorate the series and to
revitalize the story line. It also serves to introduce new viewers to some
of the intriguing stories that are in The X-Files universe. Thank you,
Chris Carter for putting out a wonderful movie that extends the small
screen X-Files to the big screen. Don't Miss The X-Files!

"Trust no one, Mr. Mulder."

---
 Steve Kong                                    [email-masked]
         reviews from a guy who loves the cinema
         http://boiled.sbay.org/boiled/