Subject: Review: X-Files (1998)

From: "R. L. Strong" <[email-masked]>
Date: 16 Jul 1998 06:08:55 GMT

"THE X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE"
Review by R. L. Strong

**** out of 5.

20th Century Fox Film Corporation presents a Ten Thirteen Productions
David Duchovny Gillian Anderson  
"THE X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE"  
Mitch Pileggi    Blythe Danner William B. Davis    Armin Mueller-Stahl   
John Neville  &  Martin Landau as  Dr. Alvin Kurtzweil
Music by Mark Snow  Special Make-Up Effects by Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff, Jr.  Co-Producer: Frank Spotnitz
Edited by Stephen Mark   Production Designer Christopher Nowak  Cinematography by Ward Russell
Executive Producer: Lata Ryan   Produced by Chris Carter & Daniel Sackheim
Screenplay by Chris Carter   Story by Chris Carter & Frank Spotnitz   Directed by Rob Bowman

In an era when most Summer Event films combine the most elaborate
special effects with the most insignificant story lines, it is indeed
a slap in the face to the industry when a television series can show
them how it show and can be done. This is no faint praise. "X-Files:
Fight the Future" is so far the best Summer thrill ride.

The plot opens in the prehistoric past as two Neanderthal men run
across the frozen tundra of Texas (!?) hunting down a strange
creature. Finally reaching it's cave, the two Dawn Men search the
caverns. One is attacked and killed by the unseen creature. The second
Neanderthal, manages to kill the beast. But it is here that the
mythology of the 'X-FILES' comes into play. The survivor is infected
by the creatures blood, which swarms like leaches under the ape man's
skin. We flash forward to present day Texas, where four boys are
playing in a field, looking for fossils. One of the boys (Lucas Black
of TV's 'American Gothic') falls into a cave and is, himself infected
by the black blood.

Fox Mulder and Dana Scully are introduced while investigating a bomb
threat at a Federal Building in Houston. Unable to stop the explosion
from accruing, Mulder and Scully escape within a hares breath of
becoming part of the rubble (a marvelously suspenseful scene that
gives the viewer a real feeling of danger). Contact with the enigmatic
Dr.  Alvin Kurtzweil (played marvelously by Martin Landau), leads
Mulder back into his old habits. The difference this time is that
Scully is starting to believe as well.

I don't want to give away anymore of the plot as that would rob you of
one of this summers most enjoyable thrillers. If you are a fan of the
television series, I feel that you may be a little disappointed as the
film answers some of the shows more interesting questions. But it
also, brings up as many new ones. And that is as it should be. The
never been an avid follower of the series, I believe that, that has
changed for me. To say that the concept intrigues me is to be
redundant. This is one of the most well thought out scripts of this
year. Kudos to Chris Carter and Frank Spotnitz for such fine writing.

The performances of David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are top
notch. Gillian proves more than worthy of the Emmy's she has won for
her portrayal of the analytical Dana Scully. David Ducovny is no
slouch either. Mulder develops into a more involved individual in this
film. He is forced to become less of a loner. His self mocking and
indifferent attitude about anything other than the X-Files is given a
serious shock here. The chemistry between Mulder and Scully is, shall
we say reserved romance. These two characters are obviously very fond
of one another. I'm not going to say that Mulder and Scully consummate
their relationship, but I can say that as of this film it is more than
professional.

The supporting cast is equally good with surprising cameos by some
very talented actors. Of course, William B. Davis returns as the
Cigarette Smoking Man (I still prefer the moniker 'Cancer Man'), and
is as sinister as he's ever been.  But the big surprise is John
Neville as The Well-Manicured Man, we get to know a bit more about
this character here. And his change of heart (?) is nothing if not
believable. The cameos by Blythe Danner, Glenne Headly and Terry
O'Quinn are marvelous surprises and their brief appearances are
wonderfully timed presentations.

Rob Bowman reveals himself to be a very strong director. His visual
style is not intrusive, but at the same time carries a marvelous use
of space and shadow. The cinematography by Ward Russel is
sumptuous. You've never seen corn fields look this ominous. The
collaboration between these two individuals has fostered one of the
most enjoyable adaptations of a TV series since 'Star Trek 2: The
Wrath of Khan'. The effects (both visual and physical) are
stunning. It's almost impossible to tell where one takes up. This is
seamless work and kudos go to all involved. A special note of praise
to the make-up effects team of Alec Gillis & Tom Woodruff . They have
done the impossible. They have given us an alien being that we have
never seen before. One that you'll believe to be real.

"X-Files: Fight the Future" is just what we've needed this summer. A
serious genre picture that does not dumb down to the lowest common
denominator. This is as good a conspiracy film as "JFK", but
fortunately not nearly as plausible. Or is it?!

Copyright 1998 R. L Strong
Nothing in this article may be quoted or re-printed without the express written permission of the author.