

THE X-FILES: FIGHT THE FUTURE
RATING:  7 / 10 --> Good movie
					
Review Date: 	June 20, 1998
Director:		Rob Bowman
Writer: 		Chris Carter
Producer: 	Chris Carter and Daniel Sackheim
Actors: 		David Duchovny as Fox Mulder		
		Gillian Anderson as Dana Scully
		Martin Landau as Dr. Alvin Kurtzweil 
Genre: 		Thriller / Science-Fiction
Year of Release: 	1998

Popular FOX TV series makes its big screen debut helmed by a veteran
director of at least 25 of the small screen episodes, Rob Bowman. The
paranormal vibes. During this year's last episode, the X-Files were
shut down by the FBI. That's pretty much all the intro you need to know
before you see this film.

PLOT:
A bomb blows off a big chunk of a federal building in Dallas, Texas. As
Mulder and Scully step up their investigation into the bombing, they
begin to uncover many zany theories and cover-ups about the puzzling
explosion. While delving further into the case, the defiant duo find
themselves trapped in an international game of intrigue, mystery and
extra-terrestrial politics.

***Understand that my critique comes from a solid streak of experience
with the show. Having said that, an inexperienced viewer can also enjoy
this critique, since you need not have seen one episode of the TV
series, to truly appreciate this well-developed movie***

CRITIQUE:
Mysterious, moody, exciting at parts, this movie succeeds in bringing
the spookiness and interest of the television series to the big screen.
Having said that, the film did at times feel like one big television
episode, with a larger plot line and greater special effects. Also, it
did seem to go on for a tad too long. 

The plot of the film is interesting, the characters are believable, and
the action is exciting and scary at times (The scenes with the aliens
are very cool and exciting). Mulder and Scully have no discernible
problems tackling the big screen, while adding words like "shit" to
their vocabulary. While the suspicions about their possible romantic
entanglement in this film are also answered, they certainly will not be
given away by JoBlo here. Also, there did seem to be a touch more
humour on the big-screen than the show, which helped many long-winded
and jargon-filled scenes move along at an easier pace. The creators of
the film also took the time to "piss" all over the greatest box-office
science-fiction success from 1996, INDEPENDENCE DAY (6.5/10), in a most
interesting and "subtle" way.

Overall, the movie worked for me as a thriller and a science-fiction
fable, but somehow seemed to run a little too long, and lacked the
earth-shattering ending that I was expecting. Having said that, they
have now added many new elements to explore in the TV series, which
will most certainly pick up many new viewers after this slick film.
Warm up your nachos and cuddle up with your love-bunny on this one,
folks...it's gonna be a bumpy ride!

Little Known Facts: 
David Duchovny once played a transvestite detective on the Twin Peaks
television series, and read for the replacing role for Val Kilmer as
Batman in BATMAN AND ROBIN.
David William Duchovny stands 6", was born in NY, New York, and earned
an undergraduate degree from Princeton University and a graduate degree
in English Literature from Yale University. While at Yale, he began
commuting to New York to study acting and was soon appearing in
off-Broadway plays. In 1987 he abandoned his doctoral studies at Yale
to pursue acting full time. Duchovny means 'spiritual' in Russian.
Gillian Anderson stands 5"3, was born in Chicago, Illinois, and has a
daughter named Piper. She was married to husband Clyde Klotz on the
17th hole of a golf course in Hawaii by a Buddhist priest, and claims
her favourite film to be the 1993 English animated comedy THE WRONG
TROUSERS.
Chris Carter worked for 13 years as writer and senior editor for
"Surfing" magazine.
--------------------------------------------
Visit JoBlo's Movie Emporium
http://www.microtec.net/~drsuess/
--------------------------------------------

(c) 1998 Berge Garabedian