

Review: The X Files

Starring:	David Duchovny
		Gilliam Anderson

Review by:	Joy Wyse

It's risky to try to bring a popular TV series to the big screen.  Mainly
you're trying to give something special to the loyal viewers who are
overly familiar with the characters and most of the plot twists.  At the
same time, you want to attract and entertain those people who may not have
ever watched the show before.  How can you possibly familiarize these
'new" people without alienating those who can spout off every fact ever
shown?  However it's done, the producers have done it with The X Files.

As the feature begins you are hit with extremely technical dialogue that
makes you wonder if it'll all be like this.  But it isn't.  As different
characters come on the scene, you immediately sense whether or not the
person has an ongoing role.  Obviously, the cigarette smoking man is to be
"watched".    There is a scene where three men come to the aid of Muldar. 
You could tell by the mumbling in the audience that these three have been
seen before.  They don't explain who they are, but you feel that you know
them and that they are "good" guys.

The movie moves along at a good pace.  There is a lot of action: bombs,
chase scenes, and all the usual, but you're never quite sure what's going
on.  But then, neither are Muldar and Scully.  They have made careers of
trying to learn about things that they can't explain.  

This movie really makes you think.  When it's finally over, you're back
where you started.  You don't know what happened but it doesn't matter. 
It just makes you want to see more.  They will probably have a lot more
viewers when the new season begins.

It is a highly entertaining movie with an interesting premise.  I want to
see it again and I will definitely be watching the series.  I give it a B+.

See you at the movies.