Subject: Review: X Files (1998)

From: [email-masked] (Edward Johnson-ott)
Date: 7 Aug 1998 05:30:21 GMT

The X Files (1998)
David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Martin Landau, John Neville,
William B. Davis, Mitch Pileggi, Blythe Danner, Armin Mueller-Stahl, 
Terry O'Quinn. Written by Chris Carter. Produced by Chris Carter and 
Daniel Sackheim. Directed by  Rob Bowman. 115 minutes
PG-13, 3 stars (out of five stars)

Review by Ed Johnson-Ott, NUVO Newsweekly
www.nuvo-online.com/film/
Archive reviews at http://us.imdb.com/M/reviews_by?Edward+Johnson-ott
To receive reviews by e-mail at no charge, send subscription requests to 
[email-masked] 

A little behind-the-scenes glimpse at the fabulous world of film 
reviewing. Prior to the press screening for "The X Files," the promotion 
representative asked my paper to agree not to print a review prior to the 
film's official release date. I asked why, if Time and Newsweek were 
running advance reviews, anyone would give a rat's ass if an Indianapolis 
newspaper offered an opinion two days early. "It's studio policy," the 
rep informed me in curt tones. "Besides, they don't want to see any early 
reviews popping up on one of those sneak preview web sites." 

"Oh please," I moaned, "I'm a professional journalist. Do you honestly 
think I'm going to take material I'm paid to write and submit it to 
'Ain't It Cool News' under a pseudonym? Writing is not easy and I have no 
interest in seeing my finished work in giant type on a fan page, 
attributed to 'Pudding Whistle' or something." The rep was unimpressed by 
my little tirade and grudgingly, I agreed to their terms. 

The reason I've shared this with you is because there's only so much one 
can say about the actual film without spoiling the fun. A big part of 
enjoying "The X Files" series comes from trying to figure out the secrets 
of the show's labyrinthine conspiratorial story arc and the same holds 
true for the film, so you'll see no spoilers here. 

For those who have never followed the show and may feel intimidated by 
reports of the series' elaborate back-story, you can rest easy. The film, 
while complex, stands alone and is understandable to newcomers. Hard core 
fans who worried that the movie would reveal too much can relax as well. 
While "The X Files" clarifies the series mythology, there are definitely 
plenty of secrets left. 

After an effectively spooky prologue set in 35,000 BC, the film picks up 
where the show's season finale left off, with the X Files closed and Fox 
Mulder and Dana Scully working on an FBI terrorism unit in Dallas. An 
explosion draws the pair back into the thick of the conspiracy, which 
leads them everywhere from the desert to Antarctica. Along the way, we 
meet new shadowy characters, witness a significant moment in the droll 
duo's relationship, and get some dandy scares. Leaving the theater, I 
felt just satisfied enough and found myself looking forward to the fall, 
when we'll see where the series leads from this invigorating turn.

"The X Files" plays like an expanded episode of the TV show and that's a 
good thing. Instead of getting carried away with making an theatrical 
epic, Chris Carter and company wisely remembered the importance of 
maintaining the tone of the series. David Duchovny's laconic Mulder and 
Gillian Anderson's intense Scully are fascinating characters who play as 
well on the big screen as on the tube. 

Continuing the series tradition, the film tosses in humor at unexpected 
moments. Fans will delight in a scene addressing Mulder's chronic deadpan 
expression, while event movie producers Dean Devlin and Roland Emmerich 
will wince over a hilarious, very pointed dig at one of their films.

A couple of minor gripes. Mitch Pileggi, one of the series' strongest 
characters, is underused here. And the film's climax, while both scary 
and exciting, is a bit ragged, with a few plot holes and gaps in internal 
logic. 

The better episodes of the "X Files" series play like abbreviated movies 
and, quibbles aside, "The X Files" lives up to the high standards set by 
the show. Is it the best "episode?" No. But it's a good one. "The X 
Files" moves at a fast clip, sets and maintains a creepy tone and answers 
just enough questions. There's still a lot of truth left to be revealed, 
but this entertaining "X Files" does a nice job of whetting our appetites 
for what's to come.

© 1998 Ed Johnson-Ott