Subject: Review: X-Files (1998)

From: Matthew Brissette <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jul 1998 16:43:57 GMT

I think the first thing this reviewer should mention is wether or not I
am a fan of The X-Files. First , let me assure you that no prior
experience with the series is required to fully enjoy this movie. The
producers are not stupid , making a movie just for fans of the series is
not profitable. You have to reach for a larger audience. Therefore , the
movie is quite user-friendly. Altough , non-fans will only fail to
understand certain emotions behind the looks many characters exchange.
But fear not , Duchovny and another man later on provide more than
adequate background info on what is going on. You will never feel as if
you just walked in on the third act of some great opera. 

In any case , the answer is no. I am not a fan of The X-Files , I only
watch it when nothing else is on and I prefer Millennium. However ,
since the Fox network as been so kind as to air several key episodes for
several weeks before the movie's opening weekend I took that opportunity
to test the movie. I taped all of these episodes and watched them only
after seing the movie , I am glad to report that I learned nothing new.
Everything you need to know is explained to the viewer by Duchovny and
others. I know I am going maybe a bit too far to make my point but
everybody should get the chance to experience this movie.

Warning: Major Spoilers Follow! Please do not read to fully enjoy this
movie , you must not be able know what is coming , what exactly is over
that hill and what that weird "hummm" sound is all about. You have been
warned.

The X-Files is what a summer should be. Exciting , scary , great special
effects ( unlike other summer movies the effects do not take over the
movie and are only there when it is really necessary ) and good
performances. This is coming from a guy who thinks David Duchovny is the
human equivalent of a wooden plank. From start to finish , this movie
does not let go of you. When I compare it with last summer's movies the
best way to describe it would be : take the excitement and great score
from Face/Off and the deadly use of sound from Event Horizon. 

This flick is scary , not in a B movie kind of way where you always know
where and when the critter will jump at our heroes. In fact , the first
time the critter in this movie makes an apperance it is totally out of
the blue. You might as well bring ear plugs because this thing is
louuuudd! The last time a monster scared me that much was when I first
saw Aliens as a six year old kid. You know , when you are affraid to put
your feet on the floor because the creature might be under the chair ,
or when you keep trying to cover your throat with your shirt? 

So yeah , the X-Files is scary. And guess what? You never even have to
see the monster but your imagination works overtime and it sure beats
having to watch a flawed , computer generated , Babyzilla , it looks
like you could walk right through it not even scarier than your grandma
in undies type of monster. Do not think that The X-Files is a monster
movie. In fact , the creature is there for maybe three minutes total.

No , The X-Files is definately a Mulder episode of the series. Scully is
at his side , of course , but Gillian Anderson gets maybe half the
screen time. She has a couple of good scenes with Duchovny , but she
gets kidnapped during the last half hour of the movie so she does not
get to do much. No , this is Mulder's time in the spotlight. 

By now , you have heard of the scene where Mulder "showers" Independence
Day. If you have not then I will not spoil it for you , let's just say
that due to recent events Mulder should be "showering" Godzilla instead.
To those of you wondering if Mulder discovers that the truth is indeed
out there...who cares!? If he did find it the series would over anyway
so what are you complaining about? 

The dialogue in interesting and the director is marvelous. The camera is
almost always looking over the shoulder of our heroes so we feel as if
we are right there with them when they open a door or climb a hill. The
script is spotless , every thing that happens happens for a purpose. If
you are confused by something , do not worry because it will all become
clear later on but , and I cannot stress this enough , PAY ATTENTION!!!

Unlike most summer movies , the dialogue is twice as important as the
effects. Miss one vital piece of information and , like most people who
talk during movies , you will go home and tell all your friends how this
movie made no sense. Also , to those people who need to go to the
bathroom during movies...DON'T! The person who watched the movie with me
had to go twice and twice she missed an important conversation.

There is no time to take a breather between scenes because , again
unlike most summer movies ( Godzilla anybody? ) The X-Files does not
need to fill scenes between the suspense and the action with useless
subplots , every scene is crucial and serves a purpose. Who needs to see
the blond chiouaoua have a "big emotional scene" between Godzilla
attacks? 

So far this summer I have seen only one movie who ranks higher on my
list of movies I'd recommend and that is the Truman Show but it only
wins by a nose. But The Truman Show is not what I would call a summer
movie , The X-Files is. What more do you ask from a summer movie other
than the chance to be excited? Cool effects? It's got some. Pulse
pounding? Hell yes! 

Strangely enough , I think that fans of the series will hate this movie
while non-fans will have a good time. It does not provide answers to the
show's many questions , the status quo remains nearly the same and , no
, Mulder and Scully do not get together. 

Rating: Four and a half out of Five stars for the best movie yet this
summer , several jump right out of your seat thrills , many "Whoah , I
never saw that one coming!" moments , four "Holy Shit , where the hell
did that come from" and one heck of an ending. 

You may wonder where this movie lost half a star. Well , I swore never
to give a movie the full five stars so I had to find something about The
in his ice truck , the tracks it leaves in the snow behind him go on for
several miles but then they just stop. It's pretty obvious the film's
makers drove the truck for several miles to give the appearance that
Mulder had been driving for a long time , but in the end it looks like
Mulder just dropped from the sky and started driving. 

Nitpicking , I know. So sue me!

                                Play safe and have a good time