Subject: Review: X-Files (1998)

From: "Dr. V. B. Daniel" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jul 1998 04:54:44 GMT

'The Big Leap to X-World'
Dr. Daniel's review of The X-Files: Fight The Future

Rating:  in for observation (***)

Starring David Duchovny, Gillian Anderson, Martin Landau,
Blythe Danner, Armin Mueller-Stahl, Mitch Pileggi, John
Neville, William B. Davis, Glenne Headly, Bruce Harwood,
Lucas Black, Tom Braidwood. 

Directed by Rob Bowman. Rated PG-13. 

Okay, here's the deal. There's a big ol' rush nowadays toward anything
along the lines of "unexplained phenomena," those weird
head-scratchers that just seem to happen for no apparent reason. We
get a lot of that stuff here in Carver Point, too, believe it or not.
There's a man named Herbert Potterman, lived here 63 years, who always
seems to get deathly ill about three days before his wife's people
have their family reunion. He can be perfectly fine one day, then,
Ethel Ann will remind him about her reunion this coming weekend, and
he's in my office the next morning, poor soul. He always gets this
mysterious aching in his back and stomach that we can't figure out,
but I always have to tell Ethel Ann that Herbert'll need to stay home
that weekend 'cause it pains him to travel.

Usually, about Monday of the next week, Herbert's pain fades away, and
he's back to normal. And, even more mysterious than that, on the
Tuesday of that same week, I find a hundred-dollar bill in my mailbox,
taped to a fruit jar full of a clear, slightly oily liquid that has a
strong scent of distilled spirits about it. Oh, the oddities of the
world....

I guess this new-found interest in the unexplainable could be traced
to TV's new darling, the "reality" show, starring aliens and crop
circles and haunted houses. But I believe it goes beyond that. I think
it can be traced to a conspiracy within television, eminating from the
Fox network. These people have secretly hooked a good part of the
country on a show called "The X-Files", a show devoted to every
unexplained mystery you could think of, and a few I bet you never
wanted to think about.  A sleek combo of sci-fi and horror, wrapped in
the guise of almost-documentary style of filming, it plays us all like
violins, pulling on every string we have that loves to be scared, and
puzzled, and scared some more. And I love it. I love it to death.

That's why I've been geared up for the new version of the show, this
time in theatrical form, known as "The X-Files: Fight The Future." If
there ever was a TV show that deserved to be a film, this is it. The
show has pushed the limits of TV, and it was only logical that movies
be the next output. They had the stars, they had the following, they
had the creepy little supporting cast, they had it all. So, when the
movie opened, I was there.  Planted.

The film stars the Dynamic Duo of the Nineties, David Duchovny and
Gillian Anderson as FBI agents Mulder and Scully, and it literally
picks up where the TV show ended its season a few weeks ago, a very
interesting twist on the "cliffhanger" theory of TV season-enders. As
we pick up, the two are investigating a network of power-brokers
(played by John Neville, Martin Landau, and Armin Mueller-Stahl) that
are involved in a project concerned with the colonization of the
planet by means of alien life forms. The movie pulls all of the tricks
it uses on the show, including my favorite semi-villain, the
Cigarette-Smoking Man (William B. Davis). We get other quick hits like
the "black oil" aliens and the super-bees. We also get a new,
meaner-than-hay-ull bunch of aliens.

I really don't feel comfortable going any further than that, because
I'd get into divulging secrets, and, as any fan of the show can tell
you, the only thing worse than a secret is a secret revealed.

Let's do this. I liked the movie, and parts of it impressed me, but it
never seemed to reach where it was shooting for. It's good, but it's
nowhere near what I was expecting.  When a show like The X-Files gets
the chance to strut its stuff on a big screen, it ought to absolutely
take it to the moon. The movie never makes that leap. Oh, there's more
gore than we get to see on TV, and there's some profanity stirred in
to spice things up, but, to dump this thing into the middle of a
summer line-up, everybody was geared up for super action and
heart-pounding suspense and some "WHOA!" special effects, and none of
that ever really shows up. The movie is bigger in scope than the show,
but it's not near better.

At the same time, I almost think that this might have been the plan
all along. Build a big hoo-rah for the movie, tease us with talk of a
consummation of the romance between Scully and Mulder, spring some new
villains on us, bait us for everything, and then leave us hanging
until the new TV season starts. If this is the case, that's almost
forgivable. But, if this is the best they can do, somebody might want
to wash off the blackboard and start over. The "coincidences" we've
learned to accept on TV don't play quite as well on a huge screen as
they do on a 22-incher at home with the bulbs out. And, I have to
admit, I was less than thrilled that Scully and Mulder act so
surprised when they discover a conspiracy going on and alien life
involvement. Just what have these folks been doing for five years now,
bending spoons with their heads and walking on fire? They've stepped
into bigger piles of governmental poo-poo on TV and never even
blinked, so why be amazed that it's happening again? Deal with it!

"The X-Files: Fight The Future" has a nice look to it, and, if you
follow it as a glorified two-hour episode of the show, then, yes, it
works fine. But, if the long-range plan is to pull a "Star Trek" with
this, and go full-time cinema, Chris Carter and Crew better tighten
some screws and do the same thing they did to make the TV show so
popular. They're gonna have to quit playing it safe and push the
envelope. Pardon the reference, but they will have to go where no
movie has gone before.

So, all that said, all you "X-ers" out there, relax. It works. Maybe
not as well as you'll want it to, but it works. And, remember, the
first "Star Trek" movie stunk, and they're still going. And there's no
way Shatner's gonna get a chance to ruin any of these. With Carter in
charge of the world, it could only get better, or worse, which always
seems more fun in X-World.

See more great reviews and movie fun at:

Dr. Daniel's Movie Emergency
http://www.stairwell.com/doc/

See our many other sites at http://www.stairwell.com
-----------------------------------------------------