

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace

A simple review by M. Pierce

 I have never seen a man so in love with himself than George Lucas.  With the
overt success of the three original Star Wars films, Lucas has become, not
necessarily a filmmaker, but the head cheeze at a huge toy company, with The
Phantom Menace the new product on the shelve.  Only this toy was made for $115
million, but every kid wants it, and, like all other expensive toys, falls
apart within an hour after playing with it.

  The product in question, Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace (jeez!), is
pure and simple:  Its about the money, baby!  No one in their right mind would
create such a fiasco if they knew it wouldn't make a ton of money before its
fourth week of release.  I come to the SW franchise as a stranger, since I have
absolutely no idea why the SW movies are so popular.  I find them rather boring
and full of nothing but eye candy.

  Phantom Menace is like the first SW, minus 10.  Nothing in the whole concept
is remotely enjoyable.  Even the special effects seem rather bland.  The story
in this new one is a mindless mess...the acting wooden...and the action
sequences like something out of a video game.

  SW: Phantom Menace is one of the worst films of the year so far.  With a
title like SW E1: TPM, Lucas has one big head on those shoulders.  I thought
Chris Carter did for releasing an X-Files movie, although, that movie
adaptation was an excellent way to spend two hours.  PM is one long headache.

*1/2 (out of ****)

1999 (c)