

"Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace" Review
by Fontaine Lien
More reviews: http://members.aol.com/saitiau/cinema.html
(SPOILERS.  SOME YOU'VE HEARD ABOUT, SOME YOU PROBABLY HAVEN'T.)
**This review is dedicated to Lori "McGregor," who yelled "SEXY!!"
whenever Obi-Wan appeared on-screen.**

"May the force be with you."

Imagine someone who's never seen or heard about Star Wars before
coming up to you and asking you what "Phantom Menace" was about and
what kind of movie it was like.  It would mostly likely be difficult to
describe creature fighting with atomic gumballs, a little boy who is
allowed to race "pods" at hundreds of miles per hour, and villains who are
never entirely introduced without some misgivings.  But this is "The
Phantom Menace," the prequel sequel to what is perhaps the most
successful science fiction franchise in the history of the western
hemisphere.  This is LucasFilms moviemaking, where they rely on
mindboggling effects, breathtaking graphics, and moviegoers' partiality to
win the hearts.  

This comes from me, X-Phile extraordinaire who has never been
especially inebriated by the Star Wars phenomenon.  I am no "Star Wars
groupie," as a friend attempted to label me a few days ago.   I have no
Skywalker or Han Solo action figures.  I never dressed up as Princess Leia
during Halloween.  I never _wanted_ to be Princess Leia.  I don't own the
trilogy.  I don't _remember_ most of the trilogy.  I did not see "Phantom
Menace" the first day it came out.   But nonetheless, the characters in
Star Wars has become as familiar to me as they have become to the
millions of Star Wars fans out there.  R2D2, C3PO, ewoks, Yoda, Obi-Wan,
Darth Vader, Jabba the Hut.  Oft-used terminology.  To sum it all up, I find
it extremely difficult not to extol this movie with high enthusiasm and let
that be the end of it.   

The idea that the "complete" story will be told in three sequels is
enticing, ingenious, but unfortunately, the integrity of "Phantom" was
sacrificed because of the same reason.  Those of you who were under the
delusion that we would find out how little Anakin becomes evil will be
disappointed.  Most of the characters were given little treatment, with
the primary focus being in Anakin.  At the end of the movie, we know
little about Qui Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan, or even Queen Amidala (except that she
is an extremely dedicated queen.) These are all characters that I would've
liked to spent more time with.  Darth Maul, who makes an interesting
villain, only appeared when he was required to look intimidating or to be
the enemy of the good forces.  He makes an appearance in only two to three
fantastic "duels" but is killed off too swiftly, too easily.  Goodbye,
painted face.  The primary villain in the movie is thus wasted.  The
federation, it seems, is entirely subject to the control of the hooded
hologram, and the hologram's purpose remains unknown (a story to be told
in Episode II, I suppose.)

Most of the action scenes are filled with typical Lucasian
improbabilities.  The Naboo troops never seem to take aim when they fire,
and yet they rarely suffer even a bruise.  The ultimate improbability
comes when the movie pulls an Independence Day -- oh no, we can't
disable their shields, here comes little Anakin who can do it just be flying
into the ships interior and flying randomly, thus enabling a swift victory
on ground.  Of course I realize that all of these events are essential for
the movie to continue, and they weren't quite so annoying given the
context.  This is Star Wars, after all.  The cheesy dialogue is no rumor,
folks; it seems great directors are incapable of writing sensible dialogue
(see Chris Carter's monologues or James Cameron's "Titanic.") Any angst I
felt during the Anakin/mom parting scene dissipated with the soap opera-
ish writing.  In contrast, the Qui Gon Jinn death scene was more effective
because it had more matter, and less art.   Again, the cheesiness seems
oddly in place in the scheme of things.  Nobody goes to this movie
expecting "The English Patient."

Most annoying character of the year goes to--yep, you guessed it--
Jar-Jar.  He is comical, yes, maybe even funny (though I find most of the
humor forced), if he hadn't been used so much and if his jokes were more
aptly-placed.  Portman, McGregor and Neeson were all reasonably
satisfying in their roles: Portman successfully portrayed the different
qualities of the queen all-dolled up, the decoy queen, and the gentle
"handmaiden" queen.   She looked for all the world a 14 year-old teenager
forced to take on the responsibilities of a planet yet strong enough to
shoulder it.  Neeson was also convincing as the wise Jedi Knight, and his
"moves" were none too shabby for a man his age; McGregor was often
reduced to saying "Yes, master," but when the occasion called for it he put
an admirable amount of intensity into Obiwan Kenobi, foreshadowing the
future that is to come.  All three were aptly cast.  Jake Lloyd is extremely
adorable, but sometimes the artificiality of his acting comes through; but
I suppose that's okay, because 12 year-olds don't have a tremendous
degree of depth anyhow.  In any case he compensates with his innocence
and charm, which is all the more poignant given the fact that Anakin turns
into the monstrous Darth Vader.  Most of the other minor characters (for
example, Anakin's mother and the captain), however, seemed lifeless. 

I think most will agree that the most successful element of the film
was its graphics and effects.  Lucas combined his powerful vision with
state-of-the-art technology and the best artists in the trade to produce a
world more breathtaking than even the previous Star Wars trilogy. 
Tattooine excites a degree of nostalgia; and the underwater city, the
Capitol, and the Naboo city are all works of arts on their own.  Each city
offers its share of curious creatures: the amphibians, the oddballs at the
Tattooine marketplace, the creatures of the Jedi Council (I especially got
a kick out of Mr. Conehead).  The dress and language seem to be successful
combinations of different world cultures -- I did not have a big problem
with the accents as others do.  I think it is mere coincidence that many of
the creatures ended up sounding like some ethnic groups on this planet. 
After all, if an actor is to emulate an accent, he's got to model it after
something he knows.   It just goes to show the diversity that exists in the
Star Wars universe.  Some people also find the CGI art to be to unrealistic,
but this also wasn't a problem with me -- this is a fantasy, and how can
you make a fantasy world look realistic?  It would take away the surreal
quality of it.  

While I am mindful of the flaws this film has (plot,
characterization, acting), I admit that for the most part they went
unnoticed during the 2 hours and some minutes I was in the theater
(except Jar Jar -- you just *can't* tune him out).  I was simply too much
in awe that I was watching Star Wars, that I had a chance to participate in
this even like my parent's generation had been able to do with the first
three Star Wars movies.  Seeing Portman and Mcgregor I couldn't but see
shades of young Hamill, Harrison, and Fisher.  However, I am not saying the
flaws are excusable; I make no attempt to disguise the fact that I am
extremely biased when it comes to Star Wars.  It's Star Wars.  Basically it
comes down to this: if you are as enchanted with the universe that Lucas
singlehandedly created as I am, you will enjoy this film; if you go in as a
casual viewer, you'd enjoy the film as well; but if you watch the movie as
a critic, you probably won't enjoy the movie.  I say let go for a while.  Let
the force take over for a bit.

It's Star Wars.  

(I will say that again and again, and I am sure its meaning will not
escape anyone who is in tune with pop culture to any extent.  When you see
the movie in this light, it becomes not just a movie but part of a whole, an
event that symbolizes the creation of an entire new world.  A continuation
(precursor?) of the saga.  A chance for two generations to connect in the
collective worship of a phenomenon.  As mentioned in the beginning, this
film relies heavily on the success of its predecessors to engage the
audience and to make them care for its characters.  I'd say, for me at
least, that they've succeeded.  I think I've found the ideal fantasy heros
for my generation.)

It's light and magic, sound and effects, heroes and princesses,
science fiction and drama, the allegorical good and evil.  And y'know?  It's
funny how, in the end, no matter what misgivings and cynicism I might
have had about the film, it all added up to one neat little ball of elation
and belief.  

It's Star Wars.

"There's something about that boy."

Rating: A- (First viewing, 5/21/99)

*Tip I got from somebody: Stay till the end of the credits.  You'll get a
"surprise" (or more like a foreshadowing).

*The federation aliens look a lot like the "little green men" we are so
familiar with today.

*Thanks to Catherine for the "amphibians" idea, and Spero for the
character names.