

STAR WARS: EPISODE I    THE PHANTOM MENACE
Liam Neeson    Ewan McGregor   Natalie Portman   Jake Lloyd
Ian McDiarmid   Anthony Daniels  Kenny Baker  Ray Park   Samuel L. Jackson
Original music by John Williams   
Cinematography by David Tattersall
Executive Producer  Rick McCallum  
Film Editing by Ben Burtt & Paul Martin Smith
Produced by George Lucas      
Written and Directed by George Lucas
A LUCASFILM PRODUCTION     
RELEASED BY 20TH CENTURY FOX

"A long time ago.. in a galaxy far far away". No other phrase can
conjure such images of bravery and adventure. George Lucas, the
creator of the epic 'Star Wars' series has crafted an effortlessly
complex and remarkably simple tale of heroes and villains. A series of
films that deserve their classic status, if for no other reason than
their value as pure escapism. 22 years after the release of the
original 'Star Wars (Episode III: A New Hope), George Lucas has
returned to the saga that has remained vivid in the imaginations of
all who have seen it.  "STAR WARS EPISODE I: THE PHANTOM MENACE"
brings us to the beginnings of the tale, giving us the history before
Luke Skywalker.

The opening title crawl of the film continues the serial approach
established by the earlier Star Wars films. "Turmoil has engulfed the
Galactic Republic. The taxation of trade routes to outlying star
systems is in dispute. Hoping to resolve the matter with a blockade of
deadly battleships, the greedy Trade Federation has stopped all
shipping to the small planet of Naboo.  While the Congress of the
Republic endlessly debates this alarming chain of events, the Supreme
Chancellor has secretly dispatched two Jedi Knights, the guardians of
peace, to settle the conflict...."

It is here that we are immersed into the political world of 'Star
Wars', for the first time. As Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson)
and his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) board a Trade
Federation ship in an effort to negotiate a treaty. Unbeknownst to the
Jedi, is that the negotiations are not to take place. On the command
of Darth Sidious, the Jedi are attacked. In an epic battle, the two
men escape on board an armored transport. A full-scale invasion of
Naboo is emanating. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan must reach the city to warn
the Queen Amidala of the subterfuge that is taking place.

Reaching the palace with the assistance of an exiled Gungan, Jar-Jar
Binks. The two Jedi succeed in contacting the Queen who requests that
they return to the Congress of the Galactic Republic and report to the
senators of the events.  Along for the trip is the Queen's envoy
Padmé Naberrie (Natalie Portman) and Jar-Jar Binks. It is during
the escape that from Naboo that the ship is damaged and forced to land
on the planet Tatooine. While attempting to repair their ship, Qui-Gon
meets Annakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd), a boy / slave working for a junk
dealer.  Impressed with the boy's expertise with machinery and sensing
something unique, Qui-Gon tests the boy believing the young Annakin to
be "The Chosen One" predicted in Jedi mythology, "the one who will
bring balance to the Force".

What must be said first and foremost about "The Phantom Menace" is
that its visual effects are absolutely mind-boggling. There has never
been a film that has created such vistas so continually as this film
has. The cities, forests, and swamps of Naboo are wondrously
realized. So much detail to attention has been lavished that one feels
that these worlds are real. The cityscapes of Naboo, Tatooine and
especially the galactic capital of Coruscant with it's Senate Chambers
and Jedi Temple. Every single location of the plot is fully
realized. The only film that could come close to this level of
visualization would be the silent classic "Metropolis" (1925),
"Forbidden Planet" (1958), and "2001: A Space Odyssey" (1968). I can't
mention any film since the original 'Star Wars' (1976) as every film
since then has used that film as a template.  What George Lucas has
done here, is enlarge his template and his mythology to include so
much more depth and resonance.  This is not to say that the film does
not have flaws. The performances in the film are adequate if not fully
drawn out. Liam Neeson plays his part of Qui-Gon Jinn with a stoic
demeanor that could be seen as lethargic. I did not find this
performance as troublesome as others did, simply because of the
characterization of the Jedi. The doctrine that one must not give into
their fear or anger, gives resonance to Neeson's performance. Being a
mentor to Obi-Wan, he must hold himself to a higher level. His
demeanor throughout the film is one of cautious resolution. He knows
that his fate is leading him is a particular direction and he refuses
to move against his fate. This is a classic characterization of the
'Ahab' principle. Qui-Gon has found the 'Chosen One' and must, by any
means bring this savior (?) to his full potential.

Ewan McGregor makes an enigmatic Obi-Wan, a man who is just coming
into his prime. Just mature enough to understand his responsibility
but not enough to realize the consequences of his actions. McGregor
does carry the film, even from the background. His character is the
only one that we readily recognize from the previous Star Wars
films. And that being said, McGregor does a reasonable job in the
performance, one that I am certain will grow (as Mark Hamill's did in
the original trilogy) in depth and nuance.

Natalie Portman as Queen Amidala and her guardian Padmé Naberrie
has the hardest role in the film. Having to portray a character of 14
that must rule over a planet and it's citizenry is some
problematic. Having to establish Queen Amidala as a stern and
compassionate leader, it becomes very surprising when as Padmé, she
must emote some of the inquisitiveness that someone her age would
naturally have, while still holding a level of maturity. Portman does
this fairly well, and in moments actually raises the character to a
more mythic level. A performance similarly to Carrie Fisher's,
Princess Leia in the original Star Wars.

The other performances in the film are either background characters or
Computer generated. Much has been said about the character Jar-Jar
Binks. Most of it negatively so. For my viewing, I found the character
less than delightful, but far from insufferable. I think the most
bothersome characteristic about the creature is its design. The legs
are just far too long for any creature to walk on land, hence his
natural clumsiness. That being said, I found the character's comic
value appropriate to the film, in as much with all of the stern and
troubled characters in the plot, having one that was behaving like
"Jerry Lewis" in a Godzilla suit was appropriate. If only to lighten
the film.

The set and costume design for the film is ravishing. There is so much
to take in, in every scene that it forces the viewer to concentrate on
the main characters and the story (which may have been reason for some
of the more faint reviews). The visuals of the film, as stated before
are staggering in their complexity and all invasiveness. I don't
believe there is one scene in "The Phantom Menace" that does not carry
a visual effect. That being said, the effects are seamless, blending
into the film in such a way that one feels that huge sets and dioramas
have been constructed for the actors to perform in. No faint praise.

George Lucas has managed to create a good old-fashioned adventure
film. While his dialogue is at time trite and forced ('There's always
a bigger fish'), it works in the context that this film (as all of the
other Star Wars films) is a fantasy for children. Lucas has managed to
delve deep into his belief in eastern philosophies and bring new depth
to the mythology of the Star Wars saga. Having a biological essence as
being a precursor for being a Jedi is interesting, if not completely
acceptable. Also, there is the continuing adaptation of
Judeo-Christian faith and mythology into the story in the idea that
Annakin Skywalker may have been birth by a virgin. But these tracks
are but fleeting thoughts in the film, brought to fore only in a
single line of dialogue. This, like the reference to the "Clone Wars"
in the original film may be there just to create a more complete
universe.

Lucas's direction is straight forewarn and unobtrusive. His staging of
the many battles and fight scenes are masterfully achieved. While the
climatic light saber battle between Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon and the evil
Darth Maul is powerful and exciting, after years of seeing martial
arts displayed on screen from Jackie Chan to this years "The Matrix",
the fights have nothing new to offer. Also, I found the fights lacking
in character in all but the suspense sequence wherein Qui-Gon and
Darth Maul must suspend their battle, separated by force fields.  This
particular scene leads a certain tension to the battle, as well as
giving an opportunity to move to one of the other simultaneously
accruing plot threads.  Unfortunately, it's a short-lived moment. The
fight scenes could have used more character. Hopefully, in the next
films in the series an action choreographer can be brought in to help
define the different styles and individualities that each character
would really have.  Lucas has also peppered the film with loving
references and tributes to earlier films and influences.  One
marvelous (and blatant) scene is when Qui-Gon uses his light saber to
melt through a series of metal doors on the Trade Federation ship. The
scene wonderfully recreates the famous climax of "Forbidden Planet",
wherein, the invisible Creature from the Id, melts through the
impenetrable doors of the Krell lab to get at it's victims.

This brings me to what I found to be the weakest thread in the film,
and that is the performance by Jake Lloyd as Annakin Skywalker. While
I can see the plotting that is taking place, some of Annakin's scenes
do not work simply because they are either too abrupt or Lloyd's
performance is not tuned well enough to embrace it. The most jarring
moment comes when Annakin agrees to leave his Mother, Shmi Skywalker
(Pernilla August) to go with Qui-Gon to the Jedi counsel. The
emotional drama and angst here is almost non existent, being brought
to it's conclusion with the dialogue exchange of Annakin: 'Will I ever
see you again?"  Shmi: "What does your heart tell you?!"  While it
fits into the mythology, it doesn't fit into the drama of the scene.

The structure of the film is similar to "Return of the Jedi". In fact,
in retrospect it seems that 'Return of the Jedi' was the template for
the film. The differences between the two are the depth with which the
political drama is played out. For this reason "The Phantom Menace" is
a richer film.

I must comment on the negative quotient of the film. There have been
several vocal reviews of the film. Some valid, some not. Some
reviewers have gone out of their way to disdain the film simply for
the sake of it. I recall back in 1977, with the release of the first
'Star Wars' that most critics praised the film for its special effects
but disliked the poor characterizations and performances.  One critic,
David Sheenan even claimed that the film served no purpose other than
to show how to choreograph laser beams and explosions. That being
said, I must say that while some have not enjoyed the film as much as
others have, that is no fault of the film. There has to be a certain
suspension of disbelief involved. And for some (especially those that
do not care for Sci-fi or fantasy) is equivalent to lifting an anchor
over their heads.

Now for all intents and purposes, is 'The Phantom Menace' a good
film. Yes! Is it the best 'Star Wars' movie. No. "The Empire Strikes
Back" still holds that distinction. Now is this film a worthy
successor. Yes. In fact "The Phantom Menace" manages to do something
that no other film in recent years has been able to do. Take us to a
place and time we've never been before and make it seem familiar.

On a scale of 1 to 5, 'STAR WARS EPISODE 1: THE PHANTOM MENACE" rates
4 stars. A good forebear of things to come and a marvelous return to
classic filmmaking with new and wondrous technology.

Copyright 1999 R. L Strong
All rights reserved Nothing in this article may be quoted or re-printed without
the express written permission of the author.
--
Visit the Dungeonmaster Cornucopia of Film
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Makeup/5594/reviews/main.html