Subject: Review: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

From: "Steve Rhodes" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 May 1999 06:14:38 GMT

STAR WARS EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE
A film review by Steve Rhodes
Copyright 1999 Steve Rhodes
RATING (0 TO ****):  ***

Let's cut to the chase and answer the second most important question in
every moviegoer's mind.  Is the new STAR WARS, more formally known as STAR
WARS EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE, as good as the last 3?

No.

But, THE PHANTOM MENACE is a visually audacious triumph whose look far
surpasses the first three.  A thoroughly entertaining motion picture, it is
a PG-rated treat for the entire family.  This brings me to the most asked
question, how do you snag some early tickets to the most widely anticipated
film since GONE WITH THE WIND?  To this cinematic conundrum, this review
will offer no guidance.

Written and directed by George Lucas, the movie works best when it’s at its
busiest.  As armies of computer-generated figures war with each other, the
movie infuses the audience with a visceral excitement that's palpable.  Your
adrenaline will pump as if you personally are taking on those cleverly
designed robotic soldiers of the future.

If the look and the impressive sound are the picture's high points, the
charisma-challenged characters are its low points.  The uninspired casting
features some well-known actors who seem oddly out of place and some new
actors who don't.

There isn't a Han Solo class character to be found anywhere on this mission.
Harrison Ford, with his macho swagger and his humorous energy and charm, is
sadly missed.  No one with his abilities is found anywhere in this cast.  If
some are to the manor born, Ford's natural home is in a space opera series
like STAR WARS or an old-fashioned adventure anthology like INDIANA JONES.

In this STAR WARS prequel, Liam Neeson plays the Jedi master Qui-Gon Jinn,
and Ewan McGregor plays his apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi.  Giving restrained
and wooden performances, these fine actors look like they feel awkward and
somehow slightly embarrassed in their roles.  I expected them to warm up to
their characters, but they never did.  Both act way below their potential.

The biggest disappointment comes from the story's villain, Darth Maul (Ray
Park), who looks like a lumpy-headed soccer hooligan.  With all looks and no
menace, Darth Maul's no Darth Vader, not even close.  He's more like a video
game opponent who's waiting to be sliced and diced.  To emphasize how mean
he's supposed to be, they give him a double-ended lightsaber.  This reminded
me of the scene from SPINAL TAP, in which they claim that their band is the
best because the volume on their amplifier goes to 11 rather 10 like the
other bands' amplifiers do.

The pleasures in the casting come from relative newcomers Natalie Portman as
Queen Amidala and Jake Lloyd as Anakin Skywalker.  Much has already been
written about the latter, with people divided between those who find Jake
Lloyd's performance endearing and those who think it's lifeless.  I'm in the
former camp.  With his confident charm he is the one of the best reasons to
get excited about the future episodes.

The movie's most exhilarating scene comes in a big pod racing extravaganza
that's lifted straight out of BEN HUR.  The technological tour de force
crowd scenes alone are worth the price of admission.  A two-headed race
announcer supplies the humor in a picture that is sadly bereft of much
comedy.

The lovable R2-D2 (Kenny Baker) and C-3PO (Anthony Daniels) are back, but
they aren't allocated anywhere near the screen time that they deserve -- a
waste of one of moviedom's best comedy duos.

The dialog has classic STAR WARS lingo.  ("Be wary, I feel a disturbance in
the force," is one of the many canonical lines.)  Yoda, with his famous
fractured syntax, is back for a cameo part.  "Ah, hard to see, the dark side
is," he lectures Anakin.  The retreads are fun, but what is missing are many
memorable new lines.

John Williams's wonderfully dramatic music draws heavily on his previous
work for the series yet still manages to be fresh.  Gavin Bocquet's lavish
sets are visually enthralling with the Queen's large Italian Renaissance
palace with its massive marble columns being among the handsomest.

The typical STAR WARS plot involves the federation trying to kidnap the
queen and enslave her people.  But the thin and sometimes confusing plot is
all just a backdrop for the action.  The middle section of the movie gets
bogged down with the machinations of Senate bureaucrats squabbling over
issues ranging from taxes to trade to leadership.  Sometimes, you may feel
like screaming at the screen, "all right already, let's get back to the
action."  If we want to hear about bickering politicians, we can read the
newspaper.

So is THE PHANTOM MENACE a disappointment?  A little.  The first three
movies were such a huge success and built such a loyal following of fans;
the hype that ensued was to be expected.  With such enormous hype comes an
inevitable disappointment.  But is the movie one that you wouldn't want to
miss?  Absolutely.  See it on the largest screen you can find and with the
best sound possible.  This is a big event.  Don't miss it.  And don't even
consider waiting until it comes out on video.

STAR WARS EPISODE I - THE PHANTOM MENACE runs 2:11.  It is rated PG for some
sci-fi violence and would be fine for all ages.

My son Jeffrey, age 10, thought it was almost better than the first 3 and
gave it ****.  He liked the dialog, especially, "destroy them (pause) all of
them."  He went on and on about the things he liked, including the music,
the relationships, the figures and the action.  He couldn't think of
anything in the movie he didn't like.

Email: [email-masked]
Web: www.InternetReviews.com