Subject: Review: Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999)

From: [email-masked] (Bob Bloom)
Date: 19 May 1999 15:38:49 GMT

Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace (1999). 3 1/2 stars out of 4.
Starring Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor, Jake Lloyd, Natalie Portman and Samuel
L. Jackson. Written and directed by George Lucas.

 Something eerie happened when the 20th Century Fox theme blared from the
screen and those magical words, "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away"
appeared.

 I felt an adrenaline rush, and I leaned forward in my seat.

 Then the familiar strains of John Williams "Star Wars" theme blasted from
the screen and I felt myself drawn into that mythical world created almost
a quarter of a century ago by George Lucas.

 "Star Wars: Episode 1 - The Phantom Menace" is not a great film, but it is
magical and majestic.

 Many people will dismiss it as an overblown, kiddie, Saturday matinee
popcorn confection. And they would be right.

 And that is exactly what makes "The Phantom Menace" a wonderful viewing
experience. It is a movie that resurrects the child in all of us. It
recalls a time of innocence in movies in which a clear demarcation existed
between the good guys and the bad guys.

 Like its predecessors, especially the first "Star Wars" movie from 1977,
"The Phantom Menace" evokes a feeling of nostalgia, which is ironic, since
it is one of the most technologically advanced features ever brought to the
screen.

 More than 2,000 effects were used in this 130-minute fantasy, yet the
movie does not feel cold or sterile.

 "The Phantom Menace" is a two-hour-plus appetizer, produced to whet our
expectations for the saga to follow. That also is the movie's main
drawback.
 It's more of a history lesson, a primer. Its main purpose is to introduce
us to its characters and explain a little about them.

 The movie is like those briefings combat pilots get before flying sorties.
They are shown the lay of the land and its outstanding landmarks in order
to familiarize themselves with the topography. The only difference is that
"The Phantom Menace" is much more enjoyable.

 The main objective of "The Phantom Menace" - besides being rousing
entertainment - is to show the beginnings of the downfall of the old
Republic as well as the machinations that lead to the rise of the evil
Galactic Empire.

 Along the way we are introduced to younger versions of characters we have
met or heard about in the first trilogy: a young slave boy named Anakin
Skywalker; the Jedi master Yoda; a young Jedi apprentice named Obi-Wan
Kenobi, a work-in-progress protocol droid named C-3PO and a feisty, round
little droid called R2-D2.

 We also meet some new characters: the Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn, young
Queen Amidala of Naboo, Jar Jar Binks, a clumsy, childlike amphibious being
belonging to an underwater race called the Gungans, Darth Maul, a Dark Lord
of Sith who wields a double-edged light saber, and Lord Sidious, his
master, who stays in the shadows as he plots to overthrow the Republic.

 Lucas fills "The Phantom Menace" with much exposition, but it is balanced
with various and spectacular action sequences and jaw-dropping vistas.

 One of the most awe-inspiring scenes involves a pod race won by the young
Anakin. It is the consummate high-tech drag race, inspired by its creator's
fond memories of his hot-rodding youth.

 And, of course, what would a "Star Wars" film be without the obligatory
dogfight in space. As usual, computer-generated vehicles roll, dive and
soar like miniature hawks.

 Lucas has been accused of lavishing more time on his props and computer
effects than on his human actors.

 And while a case can be made that he seems to have left Liam Neeson as
Qui-Gon Jinn and Ewan McGregor as young Obi-Wan to their own devices, it
appears he put in many hours with young Jake Lloyd (Anakin) and Natalie
Portman (Queen Amidala).

 Neeson gives a stalwart, dignified performance as the veteran Jedi. But he
has played larger-than-life characters before ("Rob Roy," "Les Miserables,"
"Schindler's List"), so he is familiar with the territory.

 McGregor ("Trainspotting," "A Life Less Ordinary") is one of the finest
young actors in movies today. And judging by his previous performances, he
also has an intelligence and instinct that leads him to make the correct
choices. However, to be fair, he really has little to do except say, "Yes,
Master,"" over and over to Qui-Gon, as well as engage in various laser
saber battles.

 With young Lloyd, Lucas walks a tricky path. Anakin, ostensibly, is the
movie's hero. Lloyd is charming, confident and endearing, but ...

 This is the boy who, when he becomes an adult, is corrupted to accept the
Dark Side and is transformed into Darth Vader, one of the most memorable
villains in movie history.

 Lucas underscores this at time through the music of John Williams, who has
created a resounding score. His Anakin's theme is a bit pastoral, yet
undermining it are hints of the Darth Vader theme from the first "Star
Wars" trilogy.

 Portman is regal and resourceful as the young queen, and it will be
interesting to see her mature if she retains the role in the two sequels.

 Also bringing heart to the proceedings is Pernilla August as Anakin's
mother. Their scenes together are poignant, the best in the movie.

 Also on hand are the vocal talents of Frank Oz as Yoda and, in what
amounts to a cameo, Samuel L. Jackson as Mace Windu, a member of the Jedi
Council.

 Unfortunately, Jackson has little to do except sit, ponder and issue dire
warnings about Anakin's future.

 The real stars of "The Phantom Menace" are the thousands of
behind-the-scenes people at Industrial Light and Magic who brought Lucas'
creations to life.

 This movie is a good 95-plus percent computer-generated effects. Yet the
characters, especially Jar Jar Binks as well as the rest of the Gungan,
seem so real, so human, that you soon forget they are pixels and bytes.

 "The Phantom Menace" is a rip-roarin' good time. Like its predecessors,
it's a throwback to an earlier era in movie history, while at the same time
it is in the vanguard of a cinematic future in which computers will create
worlds and landscapes we could only imagine.

 The Force is alive and well and beats strongly in "The Phantom Menace."

 Bob Bloom is the film critic at the Journal and Courier in Lafayette, IN.
He can be reached by e-mail at [email-masked] or at
[email-masked]

cb

Carol Bloom of Bloom Ink Publishing Professionals
3312 Indian Rock Lane  West Lafayette, IN 47906-1203
765-497-9320   fax 765-497-3112  [email-masked]

Committed to Lifelong Learning through Effective Communication