

STAR WARS: Episode I - THE PHANTOM MENACE Review

A Review by Jamey Hughton
***1/2 (out of five stars)

Starring-Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor,
Natalie Portman and Jake Lloyd
Director-George Lucas
Rated G

For more MOVIE VIEWS by Jamey Hughton, visit:
http://welcome.to/movieviews

With all the hype that Star Wars: Episode 1- The Phantom Menace has been
receiving, it seems almost impossible to avoid interest in seeing the
film. The movie is easily the most anticipated motion picture ever, with
a marketing campaign so strong it has brought Colonel Sanders, the Taco
Bell Chihuahua and Pizza Hut together. Can George Lucas succeed yet
again with transporting us back a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far
away....?

YES. This Star Wars prequel may be the worst of the bunch, with
amateurish dialogue and an overall lack of humanity. But that doesn’t
mean it fails to comply on the basis of solid entertainment. The Phantom
Menace features the most eye-catching, jaw-dropping visual look in
cinematic history. The tremendous action sequences will have you
clinging to your arm rest, and the special effects are nothing short of
the best (and most plentiful) to ever be caught on film.

The vast digitized worlds and sheer imagination that was applied to this
project is astounding. The Phantom Menace is a delectable feast for the
senses, even if it has some disappointing aspects.

After we’re treated to the famous prologue in the sky, with John
Williams’ thundering score, we meet Qui-Gon Jonn (Liam Neeson) and young
Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor), a Jedi master and his trainee “Padawan”.
They are on the ship accommodating the fleet headquarters for the evil
Trade Federation, and have been sent to settle disputes regarding the
taxation of trade routes to the planet of Naboo.

Oh, but enough about that. The prime concern for this prequel is
introducing young Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd) into the picture. As you
already know, this seemingly charming lad is the boy who will soon
become Darth Vader.

A spectacular Pod Race comes soon hereafter. This particular race is the
most exciting, energetic, high-octane action sequence that you’ll ever
see. One of the delights of the series is meeting the newest set of
strange alien creatures that Lucas has devised, and The Phantom Menace
is no exception. I loved Sebulba, the rat-like scoundrel whom Anakin has
to face in the Pod Race, and Boss Nass, the leader of the Gungans (who
are a neighbouring species to Naboo). One character who has been subject
to criticism is Jar-Jar Binks, a member of the Gungan race. Jar-Jar
speaks like Roger Rabbit on a hallucinogenic drug, and is there for the
sole purpose of supplying comic relief. Yes, he is initially annoying,
but I can admit to laughing over some of his harmless, goofy antics.

There is some lack of dramatic pull in this Star Wars entry, but the
presentation almost makes you forget the plot and character lapses. The
final light-saber battle, between the Jedi’s and the horrific (and
terminally underused) villain Darth Maul, is spectacular to behold.
Jabba the Hutt, Yoda, C-3PO and R2-D2 have cameo appearances.

 Lucas has not forget how to captivate an audience, even if his latest
shows obvious signs of tiredness. One can only wonder what the possible
technology will present for the next two installments, Episode’s I and
II. When they arrive, you’ll know where to find me.

....................

MOVIE VIEWS by Jamey Hughton:   http://welcome.to/movieviews
       [email-masked]