

'Star Wars - Episode I - The Phantom Menace' (1999)

A movie review by Walter Frith

[email-masked]

Member of the 'Online Film Critics Society'
http://www.ofcs.org

When 'The Godfather Part III' was released in 1990, people knocked it as
disappointing and not living up to the standards of the first two films.
There was a 16 year gap between II and III and Francis Ford Coppola was able
to find a fresh story and I thought the film was well executed.  When such
great films play on our sub conscious minds for years and we replay every
exciting moment in our heads over and over again, it is human nature to
expect the roll to continue.  How many of us want our favorite sports team
to win the championship every year?  It simply won't happen.

George Lucas once commented that he wanted to wait many years after 1983's
'Return of the Jedi' to tell the story contained within the first three
chapters of his 'Star Wars' saga because he wanted film technology to excel
and become what it has today.  There is a 16 year gap between 'Return of the
Jedi' and 'The Phantom Menace' and the original three 'Star Wars' films
generate as much debate as they do entertainment.  Many are split on what
film is better, 'Star Wars' or 'The Empire Strikes Back'.  Certainly 'The
Empire Strikes Back' was a better character enhancement of its leading cast
and isn't it odd that Lucas had no hand in the film's finished screenplay or
the direction of the film.  Lucas was responsible for the film's story line,
however.  Those credits for the movie's finished script belong to Lawrence
Kasdan and Leigh Brackett and the man who directed it was Irvin Kershner.
Most agree that 'Return of the Jedi' was the weakest chapter and Lucas not
directing it makes you wonder if he's a better businessman that filmmaker
with the success of all the merchandising tie-ins and his creation of many
post production facilities for motion pictures

'The Phantom Menace' begins about thirty years before the original three
films started.  The peaceful planet of Naboo is involved in a dispute with
the sinister trade federation.  Two ambassadors who are also Jedi knights,
Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam Neeson) and young Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) are sent
to peacefully negotiate the trade dispute but the trade federation, who
would eventually become the evil empire seen later in episodes IV, V and VI
try to wipe them out and pursue the good Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman)
into signing a treaty that will do more harm that good for her people.
Senator Palpatine/Darth Sidious (Ian McDiarmid) is the most evil of the
federation members.  A trait that would serve him well in eventually
becoming the Emperor, Darth Vader's lord and master.

Throughout the course of the Jedi's adventures, they come upon a young slave
boy named Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd) whom they will train to become a
Jedi knight since the force is with him so strongly.  This idea is brought
fourth by Qui-Gon Jinn but Jedi master Yoda is unable to see his future
through the force and fears the boy may be an element drawn to the dark side
of the force and is against his training as a Jedi.

The story is sort of self defeating in many ways because we know how the
events will play out later so this is a major setback for the film.  It also
has a silly and unnecessary computer generated character named Jar Jar Binks
thrown in for no other reason than to mildly entertain children and even
then, some little ones may find his antics too silly.  On the redeeming side
of things are a space pod race halfway through the film that is absolutely
mesmerizing and a climax that manages to include four major conflicts that
keep our eyes glued to the screen.  Combined with the introduction of a new
master villain named Darth Maul (Ray Park, Peter Serafinowicz), and a look
at the origins of R2-D2 and C-3PO and Jabba the Hut also making an
appearance, the film is marginally well done from an academic stand point
and superb from a technical outlook.

Does 'The Phantom Menace' live up to its hype?  No.  It has major character
weaknesses that make many of the film's actors look like life size action
figures with little personality or complexity.  The story is well told in
part but is a bit tiresome and bears the markings of trying to go home again
which is usually not possible.  For technical zest and the memory of old
friends seen in the film, I recommend 'The Phantom Menace' to be savoured as
an experience  that will only be a one time deal for many but I am also
recommending it as giving George Lucas the benefit of the doubt that he will
improve in the weak areas when episodes II and III are released in the
coming years.  Maybe his plan is to build a slow burn uphill and not
downhill.  Time will tell.

OUT OF 5 > * * * 1/2

Visit FILM FOLLOW-UP by Walter Frith
http://www.cgocable.net/~wfrith/movies.htm

-----------------------------------------------------------------

* * * * * - a must see
* * * * 1/2 - don't miss it
* * * * - an excellent film
* * * 1/2 - a marginal recommendation
* * * - can't quite recommend it
* * 1/2 - don't recommend it
* * - avoid it
* 1/2 - avoid it seriously
* - avoid it AT ALL COSTS
1/2 - see it at your own risk
zero - may be hazardous to your health