

Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace
3 Stars (out of 4)
Reviewed by Mac VerStandig
[email-masked]
http://www.moviereviews.org

Director George Lucas' fourth undertaking of the Star Wars legacy is his
strongest. Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace has qualities that
make it a fine film. The special effects are some of the most dazzling and
amazing ever seen on the big screen. In addition, the acting is excellent.
However, that is met by an exceptionally weak plot that makes the 130 minute
film, about a half-hour too long.

The latest Star Wars installment takes place in the realm of space at a time
unknown. The evil Trade Federation is plotting to take over the planet
Naboo. The key to this task is having Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman) of the
Naboo people sign a treaty. Having intelligence and courage far beyond her
young years, the Queen refuses in the interest of her people.

In an attempt to negotiate a trade agreement, Jedi Knight Qui-Gon Jinn (Liam
Neeson) and his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) come to the Trade
Federation, acting as peacekeepers of sorts. The Trade Federation is opposed
to the Jedi, and therefor tries to kill these two ambassadors at once. If
this situation seems a little sketchy or lacking explanation and detail,
that is probably because the movie has none, something that is inexcusable
for a film calling itself "Episode One."

As the plot, or lack thereof limps along for the next two hours, you meet
several new characters. This long list includes some robots called R2-D2 and
C3-P0, creatures named Jar Jar Binks and Yoda, and a little boy named Anakin
Skywalker (Jake Lloyd) who is thought to be the so called "chosen one" of
the Jedi Force.

The other blunder in relation to the story is its complexity. This is a film
aimed at all audiences, proudly wearing a PG rating. But some of the
political aspects are far too elaborate for young audiences. A key point of
the film's later stage focuses around an intergalactic senate. As is, that
is a concept needing explanation for children. But almost all youngsters are
bound to be lost when the primary focus of a scene shifts to a no confidence
vote, again with no definition offered for those who are not already
familiar with this form of political assassination. In this aspect, the film
fails to truly reach a versatile audience of all ages.

Some 22 years ago, a little film called Star Wars revolutionized special
effects. The director had created something once thought to be an oxymoron:
low budget eye candy. Today Lucas has once again produced a film that is
delightful to watch. The light saber fights that the series is famous for,
are astonishing to see once again. For instance, take a climatic scene where
Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi find themselves fighting an evil creature
named Darth Maul (Ray Park). This is a moment that would ordinarily be
ruined by the gross predictability of the scene, but the dazzling
choreography and vivacious site of laser beams striking each other, hold the
audience over and actually makes watching the moment a voluptuous surprise.

Despite early bickering to the media about the experience of making an
effects driven science fiction film, Liam Neeson gives an immense
performance. Ewan McGregor does so as well. They bring quality to a script
plagued by obscenely distressed dialogue. Almost always on screen as a duo,
the two clearly have chemistry together. The finest example of this occurs
in the beginning of the film when the two are acting as ambassadors in the
Trade Federation, and come into their first battle scene alone together. The
surprise displayed by the two as they realize an attack upon them is
imminent, in combination with their performance fighting the creatures, is
simply magnificent.

Despite the positive screen presence of the film's key actors, and enjoyable
effects, Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace is about a half-hour
too long. It is slow to start in the beginning and there are fewer action
sequences in this installment than previous versions. It would come as
little surprise if the die-hard fans who stood in line for days to get
opening night tickets, caught up on some much needed sleep during the film's
slower parts.

Some movies are just different. They are not like the other films that come
out each year. They are unique. That is not necessarily to say that these
productions are the best works of cinema. Star Wars: Episode One - The
Phantom Menace is certainly one of these movies. It does not matter how good
or bad the various elements of this production are, because most people
aren't going to see it for the normal reasons. When you consider the
aforementioned fans that camped out for tickets, the 22 year legacy of the
series, and just the overall zest that Lucas gives each of these works, you
come to a simple conclusion: Star Wars: Episode One - The Phantom Menace is
not so much a film as an event, and because of that, everyone should see
this movie.