

STAR WARS: EPISODE 1 - THE PHANTOM MENACE 1999
                      A film review by Timothy Voon
                      Copyright 1999 Timothy Voon
                   3 out of 4 for Lucas’ extravaganza

Cast: Liam Neeson; Ewan McGregor; Jake Lloyd; Natalie Portman; Ahmed
Best; Pernilla August; Ian McDiarmid; Ray Park; Samuel L. Jackson;
Oliver Ford Davies; Terence Stamp; Frank Oz; Kenny Baker; Anthony
Daniels
Director: George Lucas
Screenplay: George Lucas

In arguably the most anticipated movie this century, George Lucas has
achieved a very mixed reaction to a sure blockbuster. Despite the fact
the script and plot is a bit of a let down, the entire movie on the
whole can be considered a milestone in technical excellence, in the
sound and special effects department.

In terms of characters, by far the most outstanding and interesting is
Queen Amidala (Natalie Portman), whose mature performance far exceeds
her tender 14 years of age. She is one ‘hot’ babe who defines true
‘woman leadership’. She not only has a presence, but knows how to take
command of the situation and save her planet from ruination. No thanks
to the Jedi Knights who although led by the Force, lack leadership
qualities in terms of thinking up a plan to do anything.

The young Obi-Wan Kenobi (Ewan McGregor) who has a bad hair day in every
scene, gets to kill a bad guy in the end, but lacks a love interest to
make him a desirable sort of hero. In fact all the Jedi Knight are a bit
asexual - there must be something about the Force which makes them all
hermits and loners. I mean it would be interesting to see Yoda’s
girlfriend for a change, if he has one. Not much better is Qui-Gon Jinn
(Liam Neeson) who mostly broods, and has a better hair do than Obi-Wan,
but only to find the young Anakin Skywalker and make the biggest mistake
of his life.

Also fascinating is George Lucas ‘Metoclorian’ theory, which claims that
micro-organisms live within our cells and tie us to the fabric of the
universe. And it is the high concentrations of these organisms in an
individual which make them particularly powerful in the Force. More
humerous are the claims to the immaculate conception of Darth Vader, no
doubt a concept stolen from the Christian faith, except there will be no
Christmas to celebrate the birth of this dark emissary of the Force.

Overall an experience which is not to be missed because of the very fact
that it’s predecessor almost command a viewing of this inferior
successor. By all means not the pinnacle of the Star Wars phenomena but
an adequate addition to the clan. Watch out for the next one, it should
be one steamy encounter between Queen Amidala and Anakin Skywalker - who
I believe should be portrayed by … Leonardo Di Caprio.

                              Timothy Voon
                    e-mail: [email-masked]
        Movie Archives http://us.imdb.com/M/reviews_by?Tim+Voon
                           Movies In Melbourne
          http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~pfowler/week/movies.html