

“Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menac” Review
by Fontaine L.
(SPOILERS.  SOME YOU’VE HEARD ABOUT, SOME YOU PROBABLY HAVEN’T.)
**This review is dedicated to Lori “McGregor,” who yelled “SEXY!!” whenever
Obi-Wan appeared on-screen.**

“May the force be with you.”

Imagine someone who’s never seen or heard about Star Wars before coming up to
you and asking you what “Phantom Menace” was about and what kind of movie it
was like.  It would mostly likely be difficult to describe creature fighting
with atomic gumballs, a little boy who is allowed to race “pods” at hundreds of
miles per hour, and villains who are never entirely introduced without some
misgivings.  But this is “The Phantom Menace,” the prequel sequel to what is
perhaps the most successful science fiction franchise in the history of the
western hemisphere.  This is LucasFilms moviemaking, where they rely on
mindboggling effects, breathtaking graphics, and moviegoers’ partiality to win
the hearts.  

This comes from me, X-Phile extraordinaire who has never been especially
inebriated by the Star Wars phenomenon.  I am no “Star Wars groupie,” as a
friend attempted to label me a few days ago.   I have no Skywalker or Han Solo
action figures.  I never dressed up as Princess Leia during Halloween.  I never
_wanted_ to be Princess Leia.  I don’t own the trilogy.  I don’t _remember_
most of the trilogy.  I did not see “Phantom Menace” the first day it came out.
  But nonetheless, the characters in Star Wars has become as familiar to me as
they have become to the millions of Star Wars fans out there.  R2D2, C3PO,
ewoks, Yoda, Obi-Wan, Darth Vader, Jabba the Hut.  Oft-used terminology.  To
sum it all up, I find it extremely difficult not to extol this movie with high
enthusiasm and let that be the end of it.   

The idea that the “complete” story will be told in three sequels is enticing,
ingenious, but unfortunately, the integrity of “Phantom” was sacrificed because
of the same reason.  Those of you who were under the delusion that we would
find out how little Anakin becomes evil will be disappointed.  Most of the
characters were given little treatment, with the primary focus being in Anakin.
 At the end of the movie, we know little about Qui Gon Jinn, Obi-Wan, or even
Queen Amidala (except that she is an extremely dedicated queen.) These are all
characters that I would’ve liked to spent more time with.  Darth Maul, who
makes an interesting villain, only appeared when he was required to look
intimidating or to be the enemy of the good forces.  He makes an appearance in
only two to three fantastic “duels” but is killed off too swiftly, too easily. 
Goodbye, painted face.  The primary villain in the movie is thus wasted.  The
federation, it seems, is entirely subject to the control of the hooded
hologram, and the hologram’s purpose remains unknown (a story to be told in
Episode II, I suppose.)

Most of the action scenes are filled with typical Lucasian improbabilities. 
The Naboo troops never seem to take aim when they fire, and yet they rarely
suffer even a bruise.  The ultimate improbability comes when the movie pulls an
Independence Day -- oh no, we can’t disable their shields, here comes little
Anakin who can do it just be flying into the ships interior and flying
randomly, thus enabling a swift victory on ground.  Of course I realize that
all of these events are essential for the movie to continue, and they weren’t
quite so annoying given the context.  This is Star Wars, after all.  The cheesy
dialogue is no rumor, folks; it seems great directors are incapable of writing
sensible dialogue (see Chris Carter’s monologues or James Cameron’s “Titanic.”)
Any angst I felt during the Anakin/mom parting scene dissipated with the soap
opera ish writing.  In contrast, the Qui Gon Jinn death scene was more
effective because it had more matter, and less art.   Again, the cheesiness
seems oddly in place in the scheme of things.  Nobody goes to this movie
expecting “The English Patient.”

Most annoying character of the year goes to--yep, you guessed it- Jar-Jar.  He
is comical, yes, maybe even funny (though I find most of the humor forced), if
he hadn’t been used so much and if his jokes were more aptly-placed.  Portman,
McGregor and Neeson were all reasonably satisfying in their roles: Portman
successfully portrayed the different qualities of the queen all-dolled up, the
decoy queen, and the gentle “handmaiden” queen.   She looked for all the world
a 14 year-old teenager forced to take on the responsibilities of a planet yet
strong enough to shoulder it.  Neeson was also convincing as the wise Jedi
Knight, and his “moves” were none too shabby for a man his age; McGregor was
often reduced to saying “Yes, master,” but when the occasion called for it he
put an admirable amount of intensity into Obiwan Kenobi, foreshadowing the
future that is to come.  All three were aptly cast.  Jake Lloyd is extremely
adorable, but sometimes the artificiality of his acting comes through; but I
suppose that’s okay, because 12 year-olds don’t have a tremendous degree of
depth anyhow.  In any case he compensates with his innocence and charm, which
is all the more poignant given the fact that Anakin turns into the monstrous
Darth Vader.  Most of the other minor characters (for example, Anakin’s mother
and the captain), however, seemed lifeless. 

I think most will agree that the most successful element of the film was its
graphics and effects.  Lucas combined his powerful vision with state-of-the-art
technology and the best artists in the trade to produce a world more
breathtaking than even the previous Star Wars trilogy.  Tattooine excites a
degree of nostalgia; and the underwater city, the Capitol, and the Naboo city
are all works of arts on their own.  Each city offers its share of curious
creatures: the amphibians, the oddballs at the Tattooine marketplace, the
creatures of the Jedi Council (I especially got a kick out of Mr. Conehead). 
The dress and language seem to be successful combinations of different world
cultures -- I did not have a big problem with the accents as others do.  I
think it is mere coincidence that many of the creatures ended up sounding like
some ethnic groups on this planet.  After all, if an actor is to emulate an
accent, he’s got to model it after something he knows.   It just goes to show
the diversity that exists in the Star Wars universe.  Some people also find the
CGI art to be to unrealistic, but this also wasn’t a problem with me -- this is
a fantasy, and how can you make a fantasy world look realistic?  It would take
away the surreal quality of it.  

While I am mindful of the flaws this film has (plot, characterization,
acting), I admit that for the most part they went unnoticed during the 2 hours
and some minutes I was in the theater (except Jar Jar -- you just *can’t* tune
him out).  I was simply too much in awe that I was watching Star Wars, that I
had a chance to participate in this even like my parent’s generation had been
able to do with the first three Star Wars movies.  Seeing Portman and Mcgregor
I couldn’t but see shades of young Hamill, Harrison, and Fisher.  However, I am
not saying the flaws are excusable; I make no attempt to disguise the fact that
I am extremely biased when it comes to Star Wars.  It’s Star Wars.  Basically
it comes down to this: if you are as enchanted with the universe that Lucas
singlehandedly created as I am, you will enjoy this film; if you go in as a
casual viewer, you’d enjoy the film as well; but if you watch the movie as a
critic, you probably won’t enjoy the movie.  I say let go for a while.  Let the
force take over for a bit.

It’s Star Wars.  

(I will say that again and again, and I am sure its meaning will not escape
anyone who is in tune with pop culture to any extent.  When you see the movie
in this light, it becomes not just a movie but part of a whole, an event that
symbolizes the creation of an entire new world.  A continuation (precursor?) of
the saga.  A chance for two generations to connect in the collective worship of
a phenomenon.  As mentioned in the beginning, this film relies heavily on the
success of its predecessors to engage the audience and to make them care for
its characters.  I’d say, for me at least, that they’ve succeeded.  I think
I’ve found the ideal fantasy heros for my generation.)

It’s light and magic, sound and effects, heroes and princesses, science
fiction and drama, the allegorical good and evil.  And y’know?  It’s funny how,
in the end, no matter what misgivings and cynicism I might have had about the
film, it all added up to one neat little ball of elation and belief.  

It’s Star Wars.

“There’s something about that boy.”

Rating: A- (First viewing, 5/21/99)

*Tip I got from somebody: Stay till the end of the credits.  You’ll get a
“surprise” (or more like a foreshadowing).

*The federation aliens look a lot like the “little green men” we are so
familiar with today.

*Thanks to Catherine for the “amphibians” idea, and Spero for the character
names.  
Silver-Screen List Administrator and PVPHS Class of '99
http://members.aol.com/saitiau/welcome.html