

No matter what, it's still Star Wars

Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace
A Film Review By Michael Redman
Copyright 1999 By Michael Redman

***1/2 (Out Of ****)

"The Phantom Menace" is possibly the most anticipated film of the last 50
years. "Star Wars" has transcended cinema to become one of the world's
mythologies. Obi-Wan Kenobi may not be more popular than Jesus Christ, but
he's giving him a run for his money.

For the two people who don't know, here's the <I>Cliff Notes<I>. This film
takes place a few decades before the first <I>Star Wars<I> movie. Obi-Wan
Kenobi (now Ewan McGregor) is a young Jedi apprentice to master Qui-Gon Jinn
(Liam Neeson). The two are dispatched to the planet Naboo which is being
blockaded by the Trade Federation. There they meet teen queen Amidala (Natalie
Portman) and amphibian Jar Jar Binks (played by a computer program).

Then they make a stop on Tatooine and encounter Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd),
a slave boy exceptionally strong in the Force and destined to become Darth
Vader. The bad guys are Sith Lords Darth Sidious and Darth Maul. There are
lots of light saber battles, weird creatures and space ships.

First of all: yes, it's great fun. The effects are magnificent, the best of
their type ever seen. A phenomenal high-tech hot rod race is guaranteed to
wake up the dead.  The battle between Darth Maul and the two Jedi is the most
stunning yet. The eye candy is beyond reproach. Forget the popcorn. Forget the
cokes. Forget the restroom. Don't take your eyes off the screen.

It's strange watching the first part of a story you know the ending to. When
young Skywalker's mother tells her son to go with the Jedi and live his dream,
you can almost hear a deep voice saying "To rule the universe."

As usual, director George Lucas cobbles together pieces of various cultures to
create an eerie but familiar atmosphere. When hordes of faceless droids under
the command of the Trade Federation Viceroy with an Asian accent attack the
peace-loving orange-robed inhabitants of Naboo, it feels like an intergalactic
re-enactment of the Chinese invasion of Tibet.

But then there's the rest of the movie.

Acting has never been the strong point of the "Star Wars" films. Mark Hamill
worked well as Luke Skywalker, but if you want to judge his acting skills,
take a look at the Marsh commercials.

It's especially disappointing in "Phantom Menace" because of the caliber of
actors. Neeson is remarkably flat. Samuel Jackson in a cameo as a Jedi master
is horrendous. Darth Maul seems to exist primarily to sell action figures.

There is an odd emotional distance to the movie. It's telling that the only
character who shows much humanity is the computer-generated alien Jar Jar.
There's no one the audience can identify with. The Jedi are too squeaky clean;
the villains, too dastardly and the kid, too damned cute. Where's Han Solo
when you need him?

There are flaws with the story. The Force is a mystical energy. Attempting to
explain it away with scientific babble is a bone-headed mistake. Too many
things happen by happy accident. The attack droids fall over at the slightest
provocation and are terrible shots. You know how the battles are going to turn
out: the good guys win.

Or do they? The major problem with the plot is that a very important element
isn't clear. Exactly who or what is the "phantom menace" is guesswork. The
relationship between the future Emperor and another character is key to
understanding what is going on and that relationship is only hinted at.
Revealed in the "Star Wars" novels, but not in the film, this knowledge
completely changes what the film is about.

Having said all of that, I'm going to make a confession and the first few
words of the next paragraph will forever brand me as an unrepentant fanboy.

Watching the film the second time a few days later, all of my problems with it
melted away. Jar Jar became enjoyable rather than annoying. Having figured out
the relationship mentioned above, the movie was much more intricate.
Expectations gone, I could settle back and have a great time.

Despite numerous flaws, it's still "Star Wars" and I was a kid again. That's
good enough for me.

(Darth Redman has written this column since before the first "Star Wars". He
considering starting to re-live his own prequel.)
	
[This appeared in the 5/27/99 "Bloomington Independent", Bloomington, Indiana.
Michael Redman can be contacted at [email-masked].]
-- 
mailto:[email-masked]
This week's film review: http://www.indepen.com/
Film reviews archive: http://us.imdb.com/M/reviews_by?Michael%20Redman
Y2K articles: http://www.indepen.com/