

The Phantom Menace

Chad'z rating: ***1/2 (out of 4 = very good)

1999, PG, 131 minutes [2 hours, 11 minutes]

[fantasy/science fiction] 

Starring: Liam Neeson (Qui-Gon Jinn); Jake Lloyd (Anakin Skywalker); Natalie 
Portman (Queen Amidala); Ewan McGregor (Obi-Wan Kenobi); produced by Rick 
McCallum; written and directed by George Lucas.

Seen May 19, 1999 at 5 p.m. at the Crossgates Cinema 18 (Guilderland, N.Y.), 
theater #1, with my brother John for $8.50. [Theater rating: ****: excellent 
seats, sound and picture]

(Critic’s note: This review is the longest I’ve ever written and still only 
scratches the surface. I’d recommend this be read only by those who have seen 
the film as a form of critical analysis.)

	As my friend and fellow film critic Ted Prigge said in his review of 
“The Phantom Menace” - how do I even write this review? Never mind the fact 
that I’ve been waiting for a new “Star Wars” movie since I was seven years 
old. Never mind the fact everyone on the Internet had already dissected and 
discussed the movie before it was even released. Never mind that there’s so 
much going on in this movie in terms of plot, action, special effects and 
long-term story that to analyze every aspect would take a lot of time and 
energy and still wouldn’t cover everything.

	And also like Ted does in all of his reviews, I’ll try to review this 
in a way different from my usual reviews and instead write as casually as 
possible as if I was talking directly to you, the reader.

	Before we can begin analyzing the specific aspects of the film, many 
of the most general and most significant factors must be considered (to get 
the specifics of the film, skip this and the next four paragraphs). As has 
been made obvious for the last several years, another trilogy of films will 
be produced to account for the [missing] initial three installments of the 
“Star Wars” series (the first of the films was actually episode four, not 
one). George Lucas, the creator of the series, has probably just assumed most 
people know the first-produced trilogy (“Star Wars,” “The Empire Strikes 
Back” and “Return Of The Jedi”) is actually the second trilogy, 
chronologically. In media interviews in the past he has explained why the 
movies were made out of order, but I can’t recall his reasons. With this new 
film he as writer and director has also assumed viewers are at least vaguely 
familiar with the storylines and significant plot points of the first trilogy 
(err... second trilogy... well you know what I mean). And in order for this 
review to be thorough many of those significant points must be mentioned 
which, unfortunately, may serve as spoilers so proceed with caution.

	[Critic’s note #1: It is one my personal policy not to intentionally 
analyze spoilers because I would like my reviews to be able to make sense to 
the reader both before and after viewing the film reviewed, but it would be 
nearly impossible to do the film justice here without breaking the rule. 
Critic’s note #2: Reviewing this film also breaks the universal critics’ law 
of reviewing movies, which as Roger Ebert coined, “It’s not what a movie is 
about, but how it is about it.” Because so many outside factors come into 
play in the film’s plot and significance as part of a trilogy, and just 
considering modern society, it again would be difficult, if not impossible to 
simply review the film as a completely autonomous story.]

	First of all we have to catalog what we know about the film before 
even going into it. We know that young Anakin Skywalker will grow up to 
become the evil ruler Darth Vader who is also the father of Luke Skywalker, 
who will lead a successful revolution against him and his Empire. We know 
Obi-Wan “Ben” Kenobi was the trainer of Anakin in the ways of “The Force” in 
attempts to become a Jedi Knight, but would fail and thus Anakin would fall 
to the “Dark Side.” We also know something about “The Force” itself, that it 
is some kind of universal force which determines fate and can be manipulated 
by those whose minds are expanded enough to believe in it and feel it (the 
Jedi). 

	 What we don’t know for sure is the history of the ruling of the 
galaxy, which is most likely much longer and more complex than any government 
we have had here on Earth. To me, this was one of the most fascinating 
aspects of the first three films because there seemed to be a subtle, 
definite order to all the complexity. 

	Also, it seems that we’re supposed to be familiar with a few other 
details about the story which have come out of the thousands of comic books 
and paperbacks published in the years since the movies ended. Most notably, 
details regarding the Emperor from “Empire” and “Jedi,” and that he was once 
a senator and his last name is Palpatine. For those who haven’t kept up with 
all the “Star Wars” paraphernalia over the years, there is still a way to 
know these details simply by recognizing an actor (or his voice at least).

	With “The Phantom Menace” being the first chapter of a long saga, one 
would assume the basic groundwork would be laid, including the history behind 
all the major factors of the series, especially “The Force” and the Jedi 
Knights. Unfortunately, this film does more of the opposite as it simply 
builds on top of what must be a history so long and detailed it could never 
be explained.

	I didn’t liked that aspect to this film and is one of the reasons it 
falls just short of greatness. If you’re going to tell a story from the 
beginning - tell it from the beginning (is it possible that after this 
trilogy is complete there could be another trilogy of episodes -1 through -3 
to clarify the back story even further?).

	But I digress. I’ve said so much and yet I haven’t even touched on 
the specifics of the film itself. All these necessary “disclaiming” elements 
should go to show just how vast the story of the “Star Wars” series is and 
this individual film itself.

	What we get here is a movie not unlike any of the other three we’ve 
come to know and love since the late 1970s. Its similarity to the other films 
helps to keep the spirit of the series familiar, but at the same time seems 
to be a flaw in the filmmaking process itself since it sometimes rings of 
unoriginality.

	The basic story is rather sorted, complex and even confusing at 
times. We’re told that an army known as “The Trade Federation” has set up a 
blockade around an seemingly insignificant planet called Naboo. We’re not 
given too many details to clarify the back story of what the federation is 
and what their purpose is, instead the film opts to get its story moving 
quickly. 

	We’re introduced to two Jedi, the master Qui-Gon Jinn (Neeson) and 
his apprentice Obi-Wan Kenobi (McGregor). The two are acting as ambassadors 
of some sort in hopes of ending the obvious hostility between the federation 
and the planet’s queen, Amidala (Portman). The leader of the federation, an 
alien called Viceroy, is following the orders of a strange, mythical 
character - an older human man whose face and body are covered and shadowed 
by the black robe and hood he wears. He is referred to as Lord Sidious but 
considering his appearance, and especially that creepy evil voice of his, he 
is a obviously one of the most significant characters in the series.

	Sidious communicates to Viceroy only through digital transmissions 
and never in person. Clearly his actual whereabouts are something he wants to 
keep secret because that would also reveal his identity (which is never 
openly revealed in the film, but should be clear to most viewers. I have a 
feeling we’ll delve into his background in the next two films).

	But it doesn’t take the film long to spring into action and within 
minutes our hero Jedi are fighting for their lives and the film’s story 
begins to move along.		

	The film doesn’t have one specific plot and works in the same manner 
as the other films in the series where as what we get is one mini-plot and 
adventure on top of another. There are so many of these 
mini-plots-within-plots in this film I would not describe them all because it 
is what gives the movie its hook. The other films have relied on this type of 
storytelling, but because of the limits of the technology at the time, the 
films’ screenplays were also limiting.

	The sense of limitlessness here is what gives “The Phantom Menace” 
its unique traits.

	As we already know, the film takes place at least a generation or two 
before the original “Star Wars” trilogy which means a lot of the background 
which was unclear and/or unexplained may be cleared up here as it is the 
beginning of the vast epic story. And here the most significant storyline is 
that involving the discovery of 10-year-old Anakin Skywalker (Lloyd), by 
Qui-Gon Jinn and his introduction to the Jedi Council.

	To briefly summarize the story, Jinn stumbles upon Skywalker in an 
attempt to buy parts for Queen Amidala’s spaceship which was damaged in 
efforts to free her from the federation. Their meeting on Tatooine is mostly 
chance but of course Jinn chalks it up to the will of the Force. Jinn can 
feel that Skywalker has a great natural power in the Force, and through 
another sub-plot involving a bet on Skywalker in a fantastic race he will 
enter, more and more details of his significance begin to reveal themselves.

	This also provides for a new elaboration and explanation of the Force 
which has never been mentioned before. In fact, it seems to be something so 
important it is upsetting it has never been mentioned before. The element 
seriously undermines the mystical aspect of the Force and transforms it into 
something more physical and scientific which is completely unnecessary.

	By the film’s third act all the major significant elements become 
tied together in a rather familiar execution of the plot. It’s funny how the 
reality of the “Star Wars” world seems so embedded in mythology, New Age-like 
philosophy and religion and yet the solution to all the major conflicts in 
the series has been violence.

	Not that this technique hasn’t been used in movies and in real-life 
situations countless times throughout history. And at least it’s all in the 
spirit of the ultimate powers of good versus evil in a fun and exciting 
matter. It does border of the cartoonish sometimes, but that’s just the film 
appealing to our inner child, which is the basic reason the entire saga 
exists and has become such a big part of our modern society.

	“The Phantom Menace” delivers exactly what you’d expect from a “Star 
Wars” film which is why it succeeds as well as it does but is always why it 
never truly achieves greatness. So many things in the film we’ve seen before 
and done with more heart because the filmmakers concentrated just a bit more 
on story and character because they were limited. But this film is far from 
bad because it at least embraces the spirit of sheer fun at the movies.