

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
Starring Liam Neeson, Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman
Directed By George Lucas
Running Time: 2 hours 11 minutes.
(20th Century Fox)

Lucas was wise to start his Star Wars trilogy with Episode 4: Episode 1 is a
boring, empty spectacle that features some nice special effects. After the
familiar 'A long time ago....' opening, the film starts with the opening
yellow crawl that features in every Star Wars movie and computer game. The
plot is that the trade confederation are blocking off supplies to the
peaceful planet of Naboo, ruled by Queen Amidala (Portman) Jedi Knights
Qui-Gon (Neeson) and Obi Wan (McGregor) are sent to negotiate a deal with
the confederation to stop the blockade. However, this simple blockade is not
all it seems, and the Jedi Knights soon have to deal with many more dangers,
including facing the evil Darth Maul (Ray Park.) They also meet the future
Darth Vadar, Anakin Skywalker (Jake Lloyd)

Star Wars is largely a failure in all the major areas of filmmaking: script,
direction and characters. The script desperately tries to make an thin and
boring story into a two hour epic. The trade confederation plot is just not
as exciting as the death star, and as the film goes on the drama becomes
more and more non-existent. There's no underlying tension, and no urgent
need to see what the outcome is. The film also takes a leisurely pace in
telling the boring story, which doesn't help. There's no snap to make the
film work, it moves at a plod.
The script is boring: all the characters speak in morals, especially Anakins
mother. There's no group spirit evident here, and when all characters can
speak only in profound statements or bark orders, it's evident that not much
is going to happen. The two leads are hideously boring, static characters
given little to do and too much time to do it. Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan hold no
presence on film, and give little for the audience to root for. The audience
will probably warm more to bad guy Darth Maul, if he had been given more
screen time. Maul is one of the most underused bad guys in  film history,
even if he does provide the only 'straight' plot line in the film (all the
other plots in this film are to be concluded throughout the trilogy.) Anakin
is annoying and unlikeable., instead of cute and huggable as Lucas no doubt
intended. It's probably not surprising that his hateful little boy,
unfortunately blessed 'Ani' by everyone he knows, joins the dark side and
kills everyone as quickly as possible. The comedy relief is supposedly
provided by the gangly Jar Jar Brinks, although in the end none is provided
in the film by him. Although his floppy features will no doubt be great for
stuffed toys, the lines and actions he is given are painfully unfunny. The
only good laugh is when his tongue is burned by a 'pod' racer, because I
knew he wouldn't be able to talk for a while. Queen Amidala is a nothing in
the film, she serves no real purpose apart from the fact that she must
'serve her people,' and go goo-goo over Anakin. Again, her role will become
more important in the later episodes, and is given little to do here.

The actors don't help the movie much either. Liam Neeson seems bored and
embarrassed, and seems desperate to leave the movie as quickly as possible.
McGregor comes across as a posh mothers boy, with little charm. The casting
director must have chose him because he's Scottish like Alec Guinness:
there's little other explanation for it. Natalie Portman is plagued by
hideous costumes and a poor script, but she delivers a spunky performance.
And Jake Lloyd looks at everyone with hateful eyes and delivers his lines in
a bored voice. There's very little talent evident with him, it's hard to see
why Lucas chose him when there are better child actors out there. He's not
even very 'cute.'

The main claim of the film, the special effects, are okay. There's nothing
impressive about them, yet they complement the story well. The CGI takes
away much of the human element, however. The battle droids for example, the
replacement for the stormtroopers, are characterless little computer
graphics, lacking the humour and humanness that came from the stormtroopers.

Episode 1 is just disappointing. It's got high production values, but little
else. The music is meandering, except near the end. The plot gives us no-one
to root for, or even care for. The effects are nice, but dull. The plot goes
on for half an hour longer than it should. There's an air of manufacturing
among the whole sorry affair, and many clichés are catered for throughout
the film. Apart from a remotely exciting pod race sequence, Episode 1 is a
dry affair that serves little purpose, except to make money and to get us to
watch Episode 2 to see what happens to the many unfinished plot lines in the
film. Disappointing is barely the word.
RATING=** OUT OF *****

A David Wilcock Review ©1999
DAVID WILCOCK
[email-masked]
Visit the Wilcock Movie Page for U.K film reviews!
http://www.wilcock54.freeserve.co.uk