Subject: REVIEW: THE FIFTH ELEMENT (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Scott Promish)
Date: 29 May 1997 21:18:55 GMT

THE FIFTH ELEMENT
                       A film review by Scott Promish
                        Copyright 1997 Scott Promish
Directed by Luc Besson

Egypt, 1915: Archaeologists are in the process of deciphering recently
discovered inscriptions in an ancient temple.  Meanwhile, an old priest
plots treachery in the name of a greater good.  Just as the secret is
about to be discovered, however, aliens arrive to retrieve it, claiming
it is no longer safe on Earth.  They leave the priest with the key to
the chamber, telling him to pass on his teachings so that humanity will
be prepared when the time comes...

Three hundred years later, an entity in the form of a fiery planet is
heading towards Earth, destroying everything in its path.  The only
thing that can stop it is a weapon consisting of four stones
representing earth, air, fire and water, along with an unknown fifth
element.  Unfortunately, the ship transporting these items is ambushed
and completely destroyed just as it reaches Earth.  The only ones with
a clue as to what is going on are the latest in that long line of
priests, and a woman cloned from salvaged DNA from the crash.

Bruce Willis plays Corben Dallas, the ex-military cab driver who
unintentionally finds himself wrapped up in these events.  He does his
usual Bruce Willis thing.  Chameleonic character actor Gary Oldman is
the bow-legged, southern-accented corporate overlord Zorg, who does
everything in his power to keep the elements from falling into the
right hands.  Zorg considers himself a servant of chaos and wants the
cosmic evil to arrive even though it will presumably mean his doom as
well.  But the real star of the film (aside from the effects) is
model-turned-actress-turned singer/songwriter Milla Jovovich as the
perfect warrior clone Leeluu.  For the first half of the film she
doesn't even speak any English, yet she still steals every scene she's
in.  Whatever language it is she's speaking, she does so as if it's her
first; that's how natural it comes off (and it's rapid-fire speech, so
it couldn't have been easy.)  Her acting in other respects is also
impressive - she's come a long way since RETURN TO THE BLUE LAGOON.
It's a gorgeously feral, convincingly alien role.

The effects are top-notch and flawless.  From the space battles to the
alien races everything looks perfect.  This is a film that should be
seen on a big screen, and in digital sound if possible.  The art
direction, which is by noted French comic artist Jean "Moebius" Giraud,
is stunning.  It may even look familiar to readers of Heavy Metal
magazine, to which he is a frequent contributor.

THE FIFTH ELEMENT runs a little over two hours but it goes quickly, and
it seemed to me there still could have been a lot more.  Apparently
Besson (director of LEON/THE PROFESSIONAL, NIKITA, and many others) had
to cut his original story in half to make a film of reasonable length.
As a result, there's much that wasn't fully explained or explored.  If
any of this was filmed and simply edited out, perhaps we'll see a
restored version on video.  Or maybe even a continuation of some
sort...?

[Review written 5/26/97]