Subject: Review: The Fifth Element (1997)

From: Jesse Kaplan<[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Jul 1997 04:10:35 GMT

THE FIFTH ELEMENT:  A FILM REVIEW BY Jesse A. Kaplan
Cast:  Bruce Willis, Gary Oldman, Milla Jovivovich, Chris Tucker, Ian
Holm, Luke Perry
Directed by Luc Besson

Wow!  When I orginally found out about THE FIFTH ELEMENT (T5E) I was
amazed by not only the plot, the effects, the sets, and the casts, but
just how what an incredibly different movie it was going to be.  Well
now its out all over and has gotten some mixed reviews.  Let me tell you
something ladies and gentlemen, this movie is terrific.
    All the future will be lost unless the fifth element is found.  I
don't even know how to explain the movie so I won't.  Let me say this
then.  If you like action, Sci-Fi, great costumes, an amazingly hott up
and coming actress, shoot 'em up, futuristic ride of your life the T5E
is the movie for you this summer.
    Bruce Willis (DIE HARD, PULP FICTION) is at his best as an Ex-Marine
turned taxi who has to save the world from annialation from the
unltimate evil.  Evil is helped by the crooked arms dealer billioniare
Zorg, played by Gary Oldman (THE PROFESSIONAL, AIR FORCE ONE).  Leeloo,
as the Fifth Element, the surprime being must be used correctly to
defeat this evil with help from a struggling to save priest, Holm, and
his assistant.  Once the action moves to the space resort we are met be
D.J. Ruby Rodd ,Chris Tucker (FRIDAY) who is a great cross between
Prince, Dennis Rodman, and Orpah Whinfrey.
    The sets and costumes and the best part of the movie and the $90
million dolllar budget certainly isn't wasnted at all in this movie.
Definately one of the true hits of this summer.  Although compared to
Sci-Fi thrillers such as STARGATE and BLADE RUNNER, T5E works because
its not deep at all.  Simply great mindless fun, guarenteed to make your
$7.50 worthwhile.

THE FIFTH ELEMENT runs 2:07 and is worth every minute. It is rated PG-13
for brief female nudity, cartoonish violence, and a little profanity.
A definate winner,  *** 1/2.

**** = A must see film.
 ***  = Excellent show. Look for it
  . ** = Average movie. Kind of enjoyable.
      * = Poor show. Don't waste your money.
      0 = Totally and painfully unbearable picture.

Copyright 1997 [email-masked]  Jesse A. Kaplan