Subject: REVIEW: THE FIFTH ELEMENT (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Elizabeth Reid)
Date: 20 May 1997 01:10:52 GMT

THE FIFTH ELEMENT
                       A film review by Elizabeth Reid
                        Copyright 1997 Elizabeth Reid

This movie brilliantly showcases the talents of Eric Serra, who wrote 
the music. Unfortunately the same can't be said for Luc Besson 
(director), Bruce Willis and Milla Jovovich (stars). 

Willis and Jovovich show only two emotions each throughout the movie 
-- Willis is either enraged or confused, while Jovovich is either 
feral or ditzy.  Besson seems to have abandoned coherence in favor of 
gaudiness. The plot is sketchy at best. Plot elements are introduced 
with impressive special effects but little explanation -- what exactly 
is a meteorite made from "pure evil", and what is the "Supreme 
Being/Fifth Element" supposed to do in the universe (apart from karate 
and the deflection of the evil meteorite)?  There is no sense of 
mystery, let alone suspense. The frequent countdowns toward bomb 
detonations or meteorite collisions pass zero without measurably 
quickening the audience's pulse-rate. 

The entire film is a sequence of petty larcenies from other movies. 
The opening sequence is from _Stargate_, the many spaceship shots are 
from _Star Wars_, the cityscapes are from _Blade Runner_ (and 
Jovovich's hair and acrobatics are cloned from Pris), the war montage 
is from _The Abyss_, DJ Ruby Rhod has just escaped (or possibly been 
ejected) from _Priscilla, Queen of the Desert_, Jean-Paul Gaultier's 
costumes are straight out of _Barbarella_ etc etc. Tributes and 
references are one thing; a constant lack of originality is quite 
another.

That said, the movie is fairly amusing. So long as you can stomach or 
ignore the metaphysical pretensions you can well enjoy the gaudy 
visuals, campy acting and slick action sequences. But frankly I think 
you'd do better to buy the soundtrack rather than a movie ticket.

Elizabeth.
______________________________________________________________________
Elizabeth Reid Steere   |   [email-masked]   |   http://www.crl.com/~emr/