Subject: Retrospective: Fifth Element, The (1997)

From: Dragan Antulov <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 19:45:22 -0000

THE FIFTH ELEMENT (1997)

A Film Review 
Copyright Dragan Antulov 2003

In a time where most of the big Hollywood blockbusters seem to be 
made exclusively for teenage boys, it is interesting to find a 
Hollywood blockbuster based on the writings of teenage boy. THE 
FIFTH ELEMENT, 1997 science fiction spectacle by famous French 
director Luc Besson, was originally devised by Besson during his 
teenage years.

The plot (or what goes for plot) of THE FIFTH ELEMENT is set in 
23rd Century. Earth is threatened by evil omnipotent and unstoppable 
force that crosses transdimensional boundary in order to threaten the 
planet every 5000 years. The only hope for Earth is Leeloo a.k.a. Fifth 
Element (played by Milla Jovovich), the perfect being which happens 
to be in the form of beautiful girl. In order to stop the evil force, 
Leeloo needs four stones representing four other ancient elements - 
fire, earth, air and water. In order to get them she would recruit 
assistance of Korben Dallas (played by Bruce Willis), cab driver and 
disgruntled war veteran who gradually falls in love with her. While 
he follows Leeloo to distant space station in order to obtain the 
stones, evil arms dealer Zorg (played by Gary Oldman) stands in 
their way.

It seems that THE FIFTH ELEMENT even in its early script form was 
envisioned as a movie based more on stunning visuals than on 
anything that could remotely be associated with coherent plot or 
multi-dimensional characters. The characters look like caricatures; 
sometimes this can work, just like in science fiction camp classics like 
Mike Hodges' FLASH GORDON. Here the one-dimensional 
characters are played by actors who at times seem lost (Luke Perry in 
prologue), not very original in their performance (Gary Oldman in 
umpteenth incarnation of insane villain) or obviously over-qualified 
for the job (Ian Holm in the role of priest Vito Cornelius). Bruce 
Willis, whose character, modelled on the cab driver in HEAVY 
METAL, is nominal protagonist of the film, is overshadowed by Milla 
Jovovich, fashion model who hardly speaks the word in the film, and 
Chris Tucker in a brief but memorable role of the TV show host who 
can't keep his mouth shut.

But the display of acting abilities is not the reason why THE FIFTH 
ELEMENT should be watch. Its main appeal lies in the incredibly 
effective combination of special effects, Eric Serra's music, Dan Weil's 
production design and Jean-Paul Gaultier's costumes. The special 
effects provided Besson with the tools to provide the movie with the 
spectacular images, displaying the eagerness of a child in the candy 
store. Eric Serra's music is also quite appealing, especially in while 
borrowing from Donizetti's operas. Dan Weil's visions of 23rd 
Century world pays homage to such futuristic classics like 
METROPOLIS, BLADE RUNNER, as well as comic books of 
Moebius. Finally, Gaultier provides campiness by dressing the 
characters in outrageous costumes and few pleasant moments for 
teenage (and older) males in audience by dressing Mila Jovovich in as 
little textile as possible. All that isn't enough to lift THE FIFTH 
ELEMENT into the science fiction classics category, not even into 
science fiction camp classic category, but it is enough to provide 
audience with two hours of entertainment and show that "guilty 
pleasure" sometimes can be associated even with 1990s Hollywood 
blockbusters.

RATING: 6/10 (++)

Review written on August 29th 2003

Dragan Antulov a.k.a. Drax
http://film.purger.com - Filmske recenzije na hrvatskom/Movie Reviews in
Croatian
http://www.purger.com/users/drax/reviews.htm - Movie Reviews in English
http://www.ofcs.org - Online Film Critics Society

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 35613
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 1192834
X-RT-TitleID: 1077152
X-RT-AuthorID: 1307
X-RT-RatingText: 6/10