Subject: REVIEW: STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (SPECIAL EDITION) (1997)

From: [email-masked] (David Wilcock)
Date: 22 Apr 1997 15:16:09 GMT

STAR WARS: THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK (SPECIAL EDITION)
                       A film review by David Wilcock
                        Copyright 1997 David Wilcock

A sci-fi/adventure starring Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Peter
Cushing,Harrison Ford, James Earl Jones and Frank Oz

A TWENTIETH CENTURY FOX RELEASE

The second in the Star Wars trilogy is quite different to the first.
While the first one was full of action and adventure, it was also very
happy. However, the second one is not. The film itself is very dark,
and has a totally different atmosphere to the first.

The film starts off happy enough. An excellent walker scene sets off
the pace, with the walkers being destroyed (of course) and Luke going
off to visit Yoda, and Hans, Leia, Chewbacca and C3P0 trying to escape
from TIE Fighters in an asteroid. (With the princess giving hints of
her love to Solo) However, it is when Luke arrives at Yodas planet that
the atmosphere changes. The planet is very dark, and misty, filled with
strange noises. Also, after being taught a bit by Yoda about how to use
the force, Luke must confront his worst nightmare, which involves
facing Lord Vader, and chopping off his head. I found these scenes
really depressing compared to the oringal, and just not very
enjoyable.

Things pick up when Hans and Co arrive at Landos shipdock, although
even this gets dark when Han actually loses to the Empire, gets frozen,
and sent to the Empire. To add even more depression, Lukes arm gets
chopped off by the Vader. However, the film is very enjoyable, but I
just don't like the way that while the first was happy, this one gets
annoyingly depressing.

Overall, I rate this not as good as Star Wars, but must a bit better
than Jedi. Depressing bits aside, the film is well shot and made, and
there are some good set pieces (and some clever suprises) And, of
course, its Star Wars, which makes it great anyway.

RATING=****1/2 out of *****

REVIEW BY DAVID WILCOCK
===============================
DAVID WILCOCK
EMAIL:[email-masked]