

The Empire Strikes Back
A review by Joe Chamberlain

Starring Mark Hamill; Harrison Ford; Carrie Fisher; Billy Dee Williams &
Anthony Daniels

The Empire Strikes Back is the second film in the original Star Wars
trilogy, and the darkest of the three. And easily the worst. Although worst
is a relative term when it comes to Star Wars films, since I would still
rank The Empire Strikes Back as one of the ten best films of all time.

The film picks up shortly after Star Wars left off. The Death Star has been
destroyed and the Empire is none too happy about it. In particular, Darth
Vader wants to get his hands on Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill), and will go to
any lengths to do so. Vader and his men track Skywalker and company to the
Rebel's new base on the ice world of Hoth. The ensuing battle is still one
of the best in film history. The Rebels manage to escape (if they didn't it
would be a real short film). Luke, along with R2-D2 goes off to find Yoda,
the Jedi master, to learn how to become a Jedi like his late father. In the
mean time, Vader's forces pursue Han Solo (Harrison Ford), Princess Leia
(Carrie Fisher), Chewbacca and C-3PO. There is not much point saying more,
since the movie has been out almost two decades everyone knows what happens
from here. Let's just say it involves asteroid fields, swamps and a way cool
cloud city.

Even after this many years, the special effects still look good. Although
now that the Special Edition has been released, you may find it difficult to
find a copy of the original. This is by far the darkest movie of the
three -- it's almost depressing in places. But it still finds time to inject
some humor. No surprises when it comes to acting, directing or story. All
are impressive. Harrison Ford continues his trend from the first movie by
stealing pretty much every scene he is in with his roguish charm. And the
scenes that Ford doesn't steal go to Frank Oz in his performance of Yoda,
and Kenny Baker as R2-D2.

As stated earlier, one of the ten best movies of all time, always worth
checking out again and again. My guess is that you will probably have to
settle for the newer digitally mastered Special Edition though. But on the
up side, the differences are fairly insignificant, and some of the minor
flaws of the original version have been corrected.

10/10

Visit
The Movie Guy
http://movieguy.tripod.com