Subject: Retrospective: The Empire Strikes Back (1980)

From: "Dragan Antulov" <[email-masked]>
Date: 29 Oct 1998 06:04:41 GMT

THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
A Film Review
Copyright Dragan Antulov 1998

When people discuss the slow yet unstoppable decline of
quality film-making within commercial Hollywood cinema, they
like to point out sequels as one of the symptoms. Sequels
might also be taken as a symbol of those trends, because
they illustrate the lack of creativity within big budget
cinematography; instead of innovation, resources are poured
into well-established and repetitive formulas. Naturally,
the movie often blamed for inspiring such bad trends, STAR
WARS, had the sequel of its own. But, luckily, it was one of
those precious few exception to the rule - THE EMPIRE
STRIKES BACK was the sequel that rose above the high
standards set by its glorious predecessor.

Unfortunately, the quality and real importance of this movie
is often ignored due to the simple fact that it is often
referred as "the second in STAR WARS trilogy". Unlike the
original, who could be seen by as standalone adventure, THE
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK required built-in audience, and those
audience, as well as the critics had some difficulties in
appraising the movie as a single artistic achievement. Those
who did mostly consider the second movie to be the best in
trilogy. The author of this review shares that sentiment,
same as the heroes of Kevin Smith's CLERKS. I might also add
that I consider one of the best in many splendid science
fiction movies made in that golden age between 1977 and
1982.

The same era was perhaps splendid for the fans of science
fiction cinema, but the content of those films, like MAD
MAX, ALIEN or BLADE RUNNER, was mostly pessimistic. The
feeling of gloom influenced even such light-hearted and
fairy-tale saga like the STAR WARS. Dark atmosphere is
evident from the beginning; the previous chapter ended with
Rebels celebrating the destruction of Death Star, powerful
weapon of evil Empire. Yet, despite their triumph, they are
far from decisive victory in the war. The Empire still has
the upper hand, and that is clearly demonstrated when
Imperial forces destroy the main Rebel base on the ice
planet Hoth. In order to save itself from total
annihilation, main Rebel force is dispersed all over Galaxy.
Heroes from the previous film are separated into two groups;
first group is Rebel commander Luke Skywalker (Mark Hamill)
who, together with his faithful robot R2D2 (Kenny Baker)
flies to swap planet Dagobah. His goal is to fulfil his
personal vision and find Yoda (voice by Frank Oz), 900 years
old Jedi master, that would complete his training in the
ways of mystic Force. Another group of our heroes - rogue
pilot Han Solo (Harrison Ford), his co-pilot Chewbacca
(Peter Mayhew), Princess Leia (Carrie Fisher) and robot C3PO
(Anthony Daniels) - are on the spaceship Millennium Falcon,
being mercilessly pursued by Imperial fleet, whose leader,
evil lord and former Jedi knight Darth Vader (David Prowse,
voice by James Earl Jones), wants to capture Luke Skywalker.

The sequel to the megapopular STAR WARS defied many
unofficial Hollywood rules about sequels. Instead of simply
enhancing well-established, attractive and obviously
successful elements of the previous film, this sequel used
it a foundation for its own, original narrative structure.
Instead of relying on bigger special effects, bigger
explosions or more spectacular sights and sounds, like many
sequel makers do these days, creators of THE EMPIRE STRIKES
BACK actually worked very hard to remedy those few flaws the
original had. Most notable of all was in cardboard
characterisation. That task was given to the talented
creative team of Leigh Brackett, respected Fantasy/SF
author, and Lawrence Kasdan, whose directorial star would
shine in the next decade. They managed to develop their
characters, breath some life and new dimension in their
appearance, and also forced them to make some difficult
moral dilemmas. The clear boundary between Good and Evil was
slightly blurred in this movie, when even the some members
of Imperial military were given opportunity to express their
human emotions. But, most of all, difference between STAR
WARS and THE EMPIRE is in plot and sinister overtones; the
heroes of the movie aren't superhumans immune from misery
anymore. They get maimed, hurt, tortured, both physically
and emotionally, and this time the viewers, even those who
consider the whole trilogy to be escapist fantasy, are
really compelled to care what would happen to them in the
end. The aliens, who used to be one of the more entertaining
attractions of the previous movie, are mostly left out of
the picture; there aren't nice fuzzy creatures here - apart
from Yoda, all the aliens are hostile or, either, prosaic
domesticated animals that "smell bad". That was another
element of gritty realism, that distinguishes this film from
the rest of trilogy. The movie is also full of surprise
twists, and the final one is probably the best known in the
entire history of cinema.

Even the acting, often regarded as the weakest segment in
whole STAR WARS saga, is here at its prime. Mark Hamill is
very convincing as the suffering hero, probably because bad
things that happen to his characters corresponded with some
bad things that happened to him in real life. Carrie Fisher
was also brilliant, especially in her scenes that witness
the unresolved sexual tension between Princess Leia and Han
Solo. Even Billy Dee Williams is good in his limited role of
Lando Karlisian, one of the rare new characters of the saga.
However, the most impressive character addition is Yoda,
small and frail, yet spiritually strong figure. The magic of
the Muppet creators, suggestive voice of Frank Oz, combined
with Yoda's sharp lines (one of them would become the
nemesis for Beverly Hills plastic surgeons)  left the strong
imprint on many generations of STAR WARS fans.

Apart from the a screenplay and well-defined characters, THE
EMPIRE STRIKES BACK also benefited from the superb direction
by Irvin Kershner, whose career reached its peak here. The
look of the film corresponds with the changes of the
atmosphere; the blue colour dominates Peter Suschitzky's
photography throughout the whole picture. Special effects
are improved over STAR WARS, and still impressive after
eighteen years (one of the proofs is 1997 special edition,
that, unlike other two parts of STAR WARS trilogy, leaves
most of them untouched and brings only small improvements).
Even the musical score by John Williams, with his immortal
"Imperial March" theme, sounds like the best in the trilogy,
with its dark overtones brilliantly corresponding with the
general feel of the film.

Grim atmosphere of the movie, however, can't prevent the
many generations of viewers to experience the very same
"sense of wonder" that overwhelmed them in the previous
picture. THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK is the original, very
special segment of STAR WARS saga, but also the element of
STAR WARS saga nevertheless. But even those who somehow
managed to escape the magic charms of George Lucas' universe
and failed to become hard core fans, could enjoy in the
magnificent quality of this masterpiece.

RATING: 10/10 (+++++)

Review written on October 28th 1998

Dragan Antulov a.k.a. Drax
Fido: 2:381/100
E-Mail: [email-masked]
        [email-masked]