Subject: Retrospective: Day the Earth Stood Still, The (1951)

From: Bob Bloom <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2003 19:31:38 -0000

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951) (Fox Home Entertainment). Starring
Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal, Billy Gray, Sam Jaffe, Hugh Marlowe and
Lock Martin. Directed by Robert Wise.

 By Bob Bloom
 [email-masked]

 This 1951 classic is one of the seminal science fiction features in
cinema history. It was one of the first to show an alien in a
benevolent, friendly light as well as one of the first to combine an
anti-war message within its science fiction motif.

 Fox Studio Classic has created a DVD that does the film proud. Beside,
a digitally remastered picture, plus an enhanced THX soundtrack, the DVD
features a most interesting 70-minute documentary, “Making the Earth
Stand Still,” in which director Robert Wise, producer Julian Blaustein
and actors Patricia Neal and Billy Gray provide insight into the
creation of this masterpiece.

 The documentary takes you from the inception of the project to the
first sneak screening, and includes discussions about the impact of
Bernard Herrmann’s score, how the title came about and the problems of
encountered by Lock Martin, the 7-foot doorman hired to play the robot,
Gort.

 The film's commentary track by Wise and author-filmmaker Nicholas Meyer
also adds to your appreciation of the film. Meyer discusses the
Messiah-like parallels of the Klaatu character, while Wise denies any
Christ-like references were intentional.

  Wise also expresses his dissatisfaction with the character played by
Hugh Marlowe and with Marlowe's performance. Meyer then throws in the
observation that Marlowe was also the weak link in the classic All About
Eve.

 Overall, this is a great DVD that science fiction fans should add to
their collection.

 The Day to the Earth Stood Still is a worthy addition to the Fox Studio
Classic series. You can learn more on the Web at
www.foxstudioclassics.com

 Bob Bloom is the film critic at the Journal and Courier in Lafayette,
IN. He can be reached by e-mail at [email-masked] or at
[email-masked]. Other reviews by Bloom can be found at
www.jconline.com by clicking on movies.
 Bloom's reviews also appear on the Web at the Rottentomatoes Web site,
www.rottentomatoes.com and at the Internet Movie Database:
http://www.imdb.com/M/reviews_by?Bob+Bloom

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 34787
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 1135894
X-RT-TitleID: 1005371
X-RT-SourceID: 872
X-RT-AuthorID: 1363