Subject: REVIEW: THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN

From: [email-masked] (James Berardinelli)
Date: 2 Jan 1996 18:13:22 GMT

THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN
                       A film review by James Berardinelli
                        Copyright 1996 James Berardinelli

RATING (0 TO 10):  8.2

France, 1995
U.S. Availability: 12/15/95 (limited)
Running Length: 1:52
MPAA Classification: R (Mature themes, profanity)
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 1.85:1

Cast: Daniel Emilfork, Ron Perlman, Judith Vittet, Dominique Pinon, 
      Jean-Claude Dreyfus, Mireille Mousse, Jean-Louis Trintignant 
Directors: Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro
Producer: Claudie Ossard
Screenplay: Jean-Pierre Jeunet, Marc Caro, Gilles Adrien
Cinematography: Darius Khondji
Music: Angelo Badalamenti
U.S. Distributor: Sony Pictures Classics
In French with Subtitles

     In 1991, the creative team of Jean-Pierre Jeunet and Marc Caro 
introduced movie-goers to their nightmarish view of a post-apocalyptic 
world where troglodytes inhabited the underground and a butcher relied 
on apartment tenants to keep his meat cabinet full.  DELICATESSEN, a 
bizarre black comedy, became something of a cult hit -- certainly not 
everyone's fare, but those who got it, loved it.  Now, four years later, 
Jeunet and Caro are back, and, with their latest film, THE CITY OF LOST 
CHILDREN, it's apparent that they have neither moderated their approach 
nor mainstreamed their vision.  THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN is as visually 
striking and daringly offbeat as its predecessor.

     In THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN, Jeunet and Caro have presented 
another gloomy world where "normal" life is no more.  The film is 
saturated with atmosphere and features some of the most imaginative set 
construction of the year.  The picture works in part because the film 
makers have taken the time and effort to frame a strange land where all 
their quirky characters can live and operate.  Jeunet and Caro's movie 
is thematically and stylistically inspired by such diverse sources as 
FRANKENSTEIN, DRACULA, BRAZIL, TIME BANDITS, and THE WIZARD OF OZ.  Like 
DELICATESSEN, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN is characterized by dark, 
twisted humor, yet this movie is more of a fantasy than a macabre 
comedy.  

     THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN relates dreams to creativity, youth, and 
wonder.  The capacity to escape the rational world through imagination 
fuels not only the desire to continue living, but the need to make 
something out of one's life.  In this film, we are introduced the 
brilliant-yet-warped mad scientist Krank (Daniel Emilfork), who is aging 
prematurely because he cannot dream.  In an effort to stay alive, he has 
begun capturing children to steal their dreams.  One of the toddlers 
abducted by Krank is little Denree (Joseph Lucien), the brother of a 
simpleminded circus strongman named One (Ron Perlman).  One is joined in 
his search for his brother by Miette (Judith Vittet), the nine-year old, 
wise-beyond-her-years leader of an orphan gang.  Together, One and 
Miette seek to penetrate Krank's fortress; elude his six cloned henchmen 
(all played by Dominque Pinon), the deadly Miss Bismuth (Mireille 
Mosse), Irvin the talking brain (voice of Jean-Louis Trintignant), and 
the scientist himself; and rescue Denree.  It proves to be a difficult 
task.

     While much of THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN is surreal and strange, the 
film's emotional center -- the relationship between One and Miette -- is 
nurtured with care and genuine feeling.  Miette sees in One and Denree 
the chance for the family she has never known, although there are times 
when her intentions towards the older, child-like man seem more romantic 
than sisterly.  It's to Jeunet and Caro's credit that they are able to 
present the ambiguities of this relationship tenderly, without ever 
injecting a hint of the sordid or perverse.

     Daniel Emilfork is wonderfully frightening as Krank.  Bald-headed 
and evil-looking, he evokes memories of Max Schreck's vampire in the 
classic silent film NOSFERATU.  Dominique Pinon, who had the lead in 
DELICATESSEN, uses his unusual face and goofy mannerisms to good comic 
effect in turning the clones into the Six Stooges.  Judith Vittet shows 
great promise from one so young in her appealing portrayal of Miette, 
and Ron Perlman is effective as the strong, silent One.

     Like DELICATESSEN, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN won't be to everyone's 
taste.  In fact, even though I thoroughly enjoyed Jeunet and Caro's 
previous film, it took a while for me to warm up to this effort.  The 
first forty-five minutes are poorly-paced and it's easy to get lost down 
one of the script's many dark, maze-like alleyways.  The film tends to 
lurch along in fits and starts until Miette becomes established as a 
central character.  From that point on, improvement is immediate and 
consistent.  For those who enjoy the offbeat, THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN 
is worth taking the time and effort to find.