Subject: REVIEW: THE ARRIVAL (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Ben Hoffman)
Date: 4 Feb 1997 22:32:35 GMT

THE ARRIVAL
                       A film review by Ben Hoffman
                        Copyright 1997 Ben Hoffman

Over the years there have been very few science-fiction films that have
turned me on, for the simple reason that they are usually hokey,
completely unbelievable   It was therefore a pleasure to watch a film
of that genre that deals with the subject matter that is based on
current scientific knowledge.   Further, the music, composed by Arthur
Kempel, fits perfectly with the story yet is unobtrusive;  the sets are
realistic, and the special effects by Charles L. Finance were exactly
right for the film.  In short, not only is the story a good one, it
includes a warning  for those of us for whom Planet Earth is our only
home. Pretty nearly everything in the film is superb.

Zane Zaminski (Charlie Sheen)  is a scientist  whose hobby is listening
to the skies for  a sound, an indication, that life on some other solar
system is trying to communicate with us.  He spends night after night,
for many years, just listening with huge antennas.  This leads to
neglect of his wife, Char (Teri Polo) as he cannot tear himself away
from his "hobby."  Working and listening with him is another scientist,
Calvin (Richard Schiff).

It is generally conceded by most people who are knowledgeable about
such things that mathematically, it is almost a certainty that given
the incredible number of solar systems, with each star in the heaven
being a sun, that Earth is the only place where a life form exists. It
therefore is reasonable to assume that one day we will hear from them.

To the great delight and awe that their dream and efforts have come
true,  Zane and Calvin hear and see on their computer's monitor what
can almost surely be a signal from some far away solar system. They
record the sound and the picture on the screen and rush to their
superior at the JPL laboratory to show what they have found.

To their astonishment, their boss, Gordian (Ron Silver) belittles the
whole thing and tells them to forget it as it is only nonsense. They
beg him to take a look at the tape and give him a copy.  When they
leave, he breaks the tape and throws it in the trash.  Ron Silver, by
the way, straightfaced throughout the film, gives a great performance
as one of the key figures in the film.

Shortly after the discussion with Gordian, Zane is fired  because of
downsizing??? The next day his friend, Calvin, is killed.  He is one
among others who mysteriously die.  Is someone trying to keep a
secret?  Is the government afraid that news of communication with
another solar system will panic the people on Earth?

At this point, the film begins to pick up even more speed and
excitement.  There is the pre-teen black kid neighbor, Kiki (Tony T
Johnson) who is curious and Zane lets him in to his lab and shows him
the computer.and other instruments.  Kiki will play an important part
in the film as it develops.   Scientist Ilana Green (Lindsay Crouse) is
worried about the increasingly warm weather the Earth is having each
year, as we all should be.   If this continues the ice at the poles
will begin to melt and our seas will rise and the beaches and nearby
cities will be under water.  It is something about which the
governments of the world (as well as the people) should be concerned.

Here, then, is a fine film you will not want to miss.  It is unlike any
science-fiction film you have ever seen.  Charlie Sheen is great as the
serious scientist who wants to get to the bottom of what he sees as a
conspiracy.   Find out about the Aliens for yourself!

     Screenplay by and directed by David Twohy

Rating:   3.5 Bytes

4 Bytes = Superb
3 Bytes = Too good to miss
2 Bytes = Average
1 Byte  = Save your money

Ben Hoffman