Subject: REVIEW: THE ARRIVAL (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Larry Mcgillicuddy)
Date: 14 Jul 1996 14:52:39 GMT

THE ARRIVAL
                       A film review by Larry McGillicuddy
                        Copyright 1996 Larry McGillicuddy

*** (out of 4)                            
Directed by David Twohy                                           
Starring Charlie Sheen, Lindsay Crouse, Teri Polo, Ron Silver, 
Tony T. Johnson                                             

Review- So many science fiction films nowadays only seem    
concerned about special effects, action, and don't focus    
enough on story and characterization. Well, David Twohy has 
directed from his screenplay, and come up with a truly      
intelligent and clever sci-fi thriller. Every year comes at 
least one movie where you go in with low expectations and   
come out genuinely surprised. This is that movie for this   
year.                                                       
                                                            
Charlie Sheen stars as Zane, a radio astronomer who listens 
for sounds from other lifeforms. When he finally gets one,  
his boss destroys the tape and fires him. Naturally, Zane is
not ready to give up, and he comes up with an ingenious way 
to do this himself. He is aided by a young neighborhood kid 
and they discover that the sound is coming from Mexico. So  
Zane goes down there to investigate, and runs into a lady   
studying why the temperature of the earth has dangerously   
risen so suddenly. Zane is having marital problems at the   
time, and an offer by her to spend the night with him is    
very tempting. Hearing Charlie Sheen deliver the line, "I   
guess there is something to be said for celibacy" is the    
funniest thing I have ever heard in a movie since Matthew   
Broderick discussed asexual reproduction in Wargames.       
                                                            
This is just the setup, and I don't want to give too much   
away, because a large part of the movies fun is the         
surprises. Charlie Sheen, who has had a rocky career as of  
late, is in top form here. He is funny, serious, and        
determined to accomplish his goal. Sheen's absolutely       
terrific performance is another big plus to this movie. The 
story is ingeniously devised by Twohy, who also wrote and   
directed the equally clever cable movie Grand Tour: Disaster
In Time. The films major flaw is a very slow pace, and not  
much happens in the earlygoings. Viewers may be growing     
restless for a while, but trust me if you stick around and  
keep your head in it, you will have a good time.