Subject: Review: Supernova (2000)

From: [email-masked] (Susan Granger)
Date: 17 Jan 2000 18:31:19 GMT

http://www.speakers-podium.com/susangranger.

Susan Granger's review of "SUPERNOVA" (M.G.M release)

        The behind-the-scenes story is far more interesting than this
mundane sci-fi thriller which should disappear as quickly as it popped
into our local theaters without previous critics' screenings. It seems
Walter Hill (48 Hours, Aliens) abandoned the project more than a year
ago, using a pseudonym, Thomas Lee, as titular director. And rumor has
it that Francis Ford Coppola did the final assemblage but he is not
officially mentioned anywhere in the film credits either. The story,
written without a cohesive structure by David Campbell Wilson,
revolves around the search and rescue patrol of a medical ship and its
six-member crew in the 22nd century. When their vessel, the
Nightingale 229, answers an emergency distress signal from an
abandoned mining colony on a rogue moon in a distant galaxy, the crew
soon finds itself in danger from the mysteriously charismatic young
man, Peter Facinelli, whom they rescue, the alien artifact he smuggled
aboard, and the gravitational pull of a giant, imploding star about to
go supernova, creating the most massive explosion in the
universe. Robert Forster is the Captain of the deep-space ambulance
but he's killed off quickly, allowing James Spader, his First Officer,
to take the helm, along with Angela Bassett, as Chief Medical
Officer. Robin Tunney, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Wilson Cruz complete
the crew - along with their trusty computer named Sweetie. On the
Granger Movie Gauge of 1 to 10, Supernova is a sputtering, pointless
3. Something went terribly wrong - and not in outer space.