Subject: Retrospective: Star Wars (1977)

From: "Max Scheinin" <[email-masked]>
Date: 15 Jul 1997 16:06:49 GMT

I imagine that upon the initial release of George Lucas's Star-Wars there
was much excitement; too this day SW is the greatest adventure film of all
time.Imagine what it would be like to enter the theatre with no
expectations and to exit having seen a revalation in the entire history of
cinema. I can't remember the first time I saw the film but it must have
been early in my life. Like 'Singin' In The Rain','The Wizard Of Oz', and
Disney's 'Dumbo'  ( all of which I saw on video ) it made an impression on
my imagination and my life. The excitement never let up. The story was
beautifully simple, the characterizations a  total delight. So when I heard
it was to be re-released in theaters I was wonderfully excited. I was
convinced it would be a life changing experience, something 	I would never
under any circumstances forget. The movie was not a dissapointment; I saw
it at an advance screening for the press and it was a truly moving
experience. 

The rating system:

A+: Perfecetion
A: Wonderful
A-: Very good
B+: Quite good
B: Good
B-: Not good
C+: Mediocre
C: Bordering on bad
C-: Bad
D+: Awful
D: Unbelievably bad
D-: Not worth watching  very bad unaceptable
F+: Do not forgive the director - never let him direct another film
F: On second thought, let's just lynch him

Star Wars

I have seen SW so many times that I know the dialogue by heart. The very
sight of C3PO scolding R2D2  before entering the pod relluctantly brings a
goofy grin to my face. When they arive on Tatooine I feel beautifuly
nolstalgic. I love to think to myself that this galaxy does exist. It all
works for me and  everytime I see the film I am completely engrossed from
start to finish (  I have the same reaction to The Godfather, Casablanca
and Singin' In The Rain ). Yet seeing it on a big screen was completely
different. I first saw it at the afore mentioned critic's showing. Then I
saw it on the third day of it's re-release with a friend. It was truly a
communal experience, the most exilarating experience I have ever had
staring at shimmering images on an other-wise blank screen
I knew that it would be wonderful as soon as I saw the trailer for Volcano;
halfway through the preview someone yelled "booor-rrrrrring", and there was
cheering. That's the kind of experience that money can't buy. Why is the
movie so wonderful? It takes a little adventure and stirs it around with
some wonderful special-effects and charming performances. But what really
makes the film special is it's sense of wonder and innocence. I think it's
fair to say that we would'n't have seen Independence Day if it hadn't been
preceded by Star Wars
and I think Independence Day's makers have seen Star Wars ( did anybody
else notice the tribute to Empire Strikes Back when Goldblum and Smith are
escaping from the mother ship? ).  I think that ID4 wants to be like Star
Wars - a film that will always be remebered. Yet it won't, and I'll say
why. Star Wars believed that there was something wonderful waiting to be
discovered. It believed that if it WAS discovered ( and it probably never
will ) there would be a sense of wonder to it all. And that is what ID4 (
and Twister, Waterworld, Jurassic Park and it's sequel ) are all missing;
that wonderful mysterious sense of awe. That is why Star Wars will always
be remembered.

Grade: A+