Subject: Retrospective: Star Wars (1977)

From: [email-masked] (Chad Polenz)
Date: 7 Jul 1997 04:33:08 GMT

Star Wars
Chad'z rating: **** (out of 4 = excellent)
1977, PG, 121 minutes [2 hours, 1 minute]
[fantasy]
starring: Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie
Fisher (Princess Leia), Alec Guinness (Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi), James Earl
Jones (voice of Darth Vader), produced by Gary Kurtz, written and directed by
George Lucas.

	The basic purpose of all forms of entertainment, especially fiction, is
escapism. If ever there was a film that fulfilled that need for escapism,
"Star Wars" is it. All stories must establish and make real the atmosphere in
which they take place, but this movie doesn't just establish an overall
setting, it creates an entire universe! The battle between good and evil is
the basic premise, but because it takes place in an completely different
reality, it is unlike any story ever told before.

	As the story opens, we watch a small spaceship be taken over by a much
larger one. We learn this small ship is part of a rebellion against an evil,
oppressive government. When the evil leader Darth Vader (voiced by Jones)
appears, we learn something about secret plans a cute princess named Leia
(Fisher) has stolen. The mood is then set and you can tell a grand adventure
is going to take place. 

	Just before her ship was captured, Leia hid the plans in the memory banks of
R2-D2 (Kenny Baker) and C3-PO (Anthony Daniels), two "droids" (robots) who
escape the rebel ship and crash-land on a desert planet. They are later
captured and sold to a farmer and his nephew Luke (Hamill).

	Luke Skywalker is a young man who, from his presence alone, represents some
kind of salvation or freedom. This is proved true during an encounter Luke
has with an old man named Obi-Wan "Ben" Kenobi (Guinness). We learn more
about his father - he was an important person in the rebellion, and he, like
Ben, were mystical masters of "The Force." The Force is an invisible energy
field that binds the universe and those that can expand their mind and can
use it to become powerful Jedi Knights. This element is probably the most
significant and original aspect to the film, as it resembles Zen philosophy
but takes it one step further and adds a supernatural power to it. This makes
the film even more interesting because it seems somewhat secretive. Ben
encourages Luke to learn the ways of The Force as he could be (and will be) a
powerful warrior against Vader's tyranny.

	The first half moves slowly as it takes the time to establish and define
many details. We witness the power of the Galactic Empire when its primary
space station, the Death Star, destroys a planet. Meanwhile, Luke and Ben,
along with their escorts and new friends Han Solo (Ford) and Chewbacca (Peter
Mayhew), find themselves in a real jam. En route to return the droids to the
rebels, they are captured by the Death Star's tractor beam. Harrison Ford
steals the show as the cocky space smuggler Solo, and we also get great
camaraderie between him and Luke.

	As if the grand adventure had not been potent and fluid enough, it becomes
the definition of excitement when Luke, Han, and Chewie attempt to rescue the
princess. Much action ensues as the heroes attempt to escape and save the
princess, but it doesn't always seem as if they're going to succeed - now
that's what makes for good suspense.

	Perhaps one of the greatest moments in movie history is the entire third act
of the film. When the rebels prepare to attack the Death Star it is not just
an adventurous battle, but a symbol of the powers of good versus evil.
Lucas's script builds the tension dramatically, his direction, along with the
outstanding special effects, work together so perfectly it doesn't seem like
a movie but a journey to a place where the events are actually happening. 

	In retrospect, "Star Wars" is a pretty simple story of adventure, but it
never presents itself in such a manner. Everything about this movie is
perfect: the story is detailed but not confusing; the characters are well
defined; the actors all deliver outstanding performances; and the final
payoff gives one a sensation that is almost undescribable. 

Please visit Chad'z Movie Page @ http://members.aol.com/ChadPolenz