Subject: Review: Star Kid (1997)

From: David Sunga <[email-masked]>
Date: 19 Jan 1998 19:39:20 GMT

STAR KID (1997)

Rating: 2.5 stars (out of 4.0)
********************************
Key to rating system:
2.0 stars - Debatable
2.5 stars - Some people may like it
3.0 stars - I liked it
3.5 stars - I am biased in favor of the movie
4.0 stars - I felt the movie's impact personally or it stood out
*********************************
A Movie Review by David Sunga

Directed by: Manny Coto

Written by: Manny Coto

Starring: Joseph Mazzello, Arthur Burghard, Alex Daniels

Ingredients: 
Preteen boy who is underconfident, talking armored cybersuit from outer
space, evil space monster

Synopsis: 
Spence (Joseph Mazzello) is a young kid who doesn't have much
confidence. He is too shy to talk to the girl he has a crush on. He lets
a school bully harrass him. He is afraid of spiders. His dad doesn't pay
enough attention to him. His sister thinks he's a fungus.

One day Spence befriends a talking armored cybersuit named Cy that
aliens from outer space have stashed on earth for safekeeping. Wearing
the cybersuit gives Spence super powers. At first Spence use the suit to
scare the bully and to spy on the love of his life. But when an evil
space monster called the Brood Warrior kidnaps Cy, Spence must overcome
his many insecurities, rescue Cy, and defeat the Brood Warrior. 

Opinion:
The bad news is that for an adult this film would be totally
predictable, and the fight scene at the end would be ten minutes too
long. But the good news is that STAR KID represents the fantasy of
almost every young boy from age 5 to age 12, and it is squeaky clean in
terms of lacking bloodshed, swear words, or frightening material. In
other words, parents, if you want to score quick brownie points with
your male youngster, take him to this movie and call it family hour.

Reviewed by David Sunga
January 16, 1998

Copyright © 1998
This review and others like it can be found at 
THE CRITIC ZOO: http://www.criticzoo.com