Subject: Review: Star Kid (1998)

From: "Nathaniel R. Atcheson" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 Jan 1998 06:05:52 GMT

Star Kid (1998)

Director: Manny Coto
Cast: Joseph Mazzello, Richard Gilliland, Ashlee Levitch, Crinne Bohrer,
Joey Simmrin
Rated PG: cartoon violence

by Nathaniel R. Atcheson ([email-masked])

    As sick as it may sound, my New Year's resolution was to see every
film that opens in 1998. I didn't really think about some of the films I
might find myself sitting through, or what the experience would do to
me. So, imagine my state of mind as I sat alone in a theater, waiting
for Star Kid to begin. As mothers and fathers with their young children
began coming in, I couldn't recall a moment in time when I had felt more
out of place. Lucky for me the theater was very dark.

    But that's irrelevant, I guess. I just wanted to share my theater
experience. A more important note about me is that I tend to deplore any
and all films intended for children. I find them overly silly, banal,
and usually thoughtless about their own subject matter. Star Kid,
although clearly not intended for adults, is quite a surprise. Not only
did I find it somewhat entertaining, but it seems an appropriate kind of
film for today's younger generation (the ones that haven't been exposed
to a lot of violence and gore already). The themes are all in place, and
the simple fact is that it's a pleasant little film.

    Joseph Mazzello stars as Spencer, an intelligent young boy who has
no confidence in himself. He frequently gets harassed by the local
bully, and he can't speak a coherent sentence to a girl that he really
likes. He also has to deal with his father, who spends more time at work
than he does anywhere else, and his mean older sister who threatens him
and calls him names. One night while sitting in his bedroom, he sees a
flash of light and an object crashing into the local car dump. He goes
to investigate and finds Cy, a cybernetic suit that requires a bionic
host to operate. Naturally, he finds this very cool, and jumps right in.

    At first he just uses the suit to get back at the bully and to prove
to people that he is powerful. In the process of doing so he
accidentally destroys two houses because the suit is difficult to
control. Later, though, he uncovers an alien plot--he must stop them
from getting a hold of Cy, or Cy's makers and their planet will be
destroyed, as will Earth in the long run.

    I think what made the film for me is the performance of Joseph
Mazzello. I can't think of a child performance that is more convincing
than this one. Especially in one scene where Cy shows him memories of
his mother, Mazzello proves that he has a rare talent for such a young
kid.

    I also enjoyed the film because it's energetic and creative, which
is just what kids these days need to get the blood flowing. There are,
however, numerous Terminator 2 rip-offs (and some scenes stolen directly
from that film), but they're so blatant that I imagine the writers
intended for fans to notice these things. The sets and costumes are all
well done (except for a really bad-looking B-movie alien), and the film
feels well-made overall.

    It probably won't change your life, but Star Kid has enough in it to
keep your attention as your kids revel in the special effects and the
visual presentation. This is certainly a refreshing entry into the
dubious "kid" genre, and maybe I won't be so wary of a film like this in
the future.

>From 0-10:  7
Grade:  B

************/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\************
         Visit FILM PSYCHOSIS at
    http://www.pyramid.net/natesmovies

         Nathaniel R. Atcheson
************/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\************