Subject: Review: Spider-Man (2002)

From: Christian Pyle <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 18:17:35 -0000

Spider-Man 
Reviewed by Christian Pyle 
Directed by Sam Raimi 
Written by David Koepp (based on the comic book by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko) 
Starring Tobey Maguire, Willem Dafoe, and Kirsten Dunst 
Grade:  A 

Fans of Marvel Comics have had to suffer through lots of awful live-action 
versions of their favorite characters (up to and including David Hasselhoff 
as grizzled secret agent Nick Fury) over the last thirty years.  Even when 
comic-book features were all the rage after 1989's "Batman," all Marvel could 
muster was a dull, low budget "Captain America" and a Roger Corman-produced 
"Fantastic Four" that was so awful that direct-to-video was too good for it.  

However, the time for Marvel Comics on the big screen seems to have finally 
arrived.  "Spider-man" captures the spirit of the comics perfectly, even 
miraculously.  
The basic story is familiar even to those who've never read a comic book:  
nerdy Peter Parker (Tobey Maguire) gets bit by a radioactive spider and gets 
super powers.  In the movie, the spider is not radioactive; it's the result 
of genetic engineering, a new species of super spider, but the result's the 
same.  Peter sprouts muscles that give him super strength and agility, finds 
he can climb walls, and learns how to shoot webs from his wrists.  (That's 
another revision from the comics; there Spider-man's web comes from 
mechanical devices he invented.  Frankly, the movie's version makes more 
sense.) 
Peter's first impulse is to use his powers for profit so that he can buy a 
sportscar to impress the prettiest girl in school, Mary Jane Watson (Kirsten 
Dunst).  However, a tragedy soon shows him that "with great power comes great 
responsibility." 

Meanwhile, industrialist Norman Osborn (Willem Dafoe) has decided to test his 
process to create super-humans on himself.  He emerges with a maniacal 
alter-ego, the Green Goblin. 

"Spider-man" is the most faithful rendering of a superhero comic to film 
ever.  The filmmakers obviously respect the work of Spider-man co-creators 
Stan Lee and Steve Ditko.  The "origin" portion of the movie adapts their 
first Spider-man story almost panel by panel.  Moreover, the tone of the film 
is true to the spirit of Marvel.  Although they vanquish their villains, 
Marvel heroes silently suffer inner pain that keeps them from achieving real 
happiness.  They agonize over sacrifices they have to make, and they are 
feared and hated by the public they protect.  David Koepp's script captures 
all of that. 

Maguire is perfect as the timid Peter, although his Spider-man voice could 
use more verve.  Dunst's sweet Mary Jane is different than the flashy 
fashion-plate in the comics but is quite effective.  (The movie M. J. seems 
more like Gwen Stacy, Peter's college sweetheart in the comics.)  Dafoe was 
born creepy.  J.K. Simmons (of "Oz" and "Law & Order") could have stepped 
right off the comics page as Spider-man-hating newspaper publisher J. Jonah 
Jameson 

Director Sam Raimi seemed to change personality when he directed 1998's "A 
Simple Plan."  Prior to that, the secret to appreciating his films was to 
realize that they were deadpan parodies.  But "Simple Plan" doesn't have a 
trace of a smirk in it.  He followed it with two more "serious" movies:  "For 
Love of the Game" (1999) and "The Gift" (2000).  "Spider-man" seems to 
integrate the two Sam Raimis and, as a result, strikes the perfect note.  It 
has the sense of fun that makes "Evil Dead II" such a hoot but treats the 
melodrama of Peter's life with a straight face.  Only one scene didn't seem 
to fit:  the moment where the Goblin is vanquished seemed more appropriate 
for "Army of Darkness" than for "Spider-man." 

Raimi fans should look for his pals Lucy Lawless, Ted Raimi, and Bruce 
Campbell in small roles.  His 1973 Oldsmobile Delta 88 also turns up. 

© 2002 Christian L. Pyle

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 31870
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 315035
X-RT-TitleID: 1112310
X-RT-AuthorID: 1057
X-RT-RatingText: A