Subject: Review: Spawn (1997)

From: Jesse Kaplan <[email-masked]>
Date: 6 Aug 1997 16:20:18 GMT

SPAWN        A Film Review By Jesse A. Kaplan
Cast:  Michael Jai White, John Leguizamo, Martin Sheen, Theresa Randle,
Mindy Clarke
Directed By mark A.Z. Dippe

So many movies are coming out now from former comic books and change
much so they can appeal to the general public who are not as familiar
with the stories.  SPAWN is no exception to this, the problem here is
that the plot, the directing, the effects, and the acting are so poor
that anyone even remotely interested in the movie will lose that slight
bit of interest 25 minutes into it.
        The plot deals with an assassinated hitman Al Simmons, (White)
who dies, makes a deal with the devil to lead his armies to taking over
the world in exchange for seeing his fiancee Wanda (Randle).  Violator
(Leguizamo), who looks like a cross between a constipated Danny Devito
and Chris Farley on a bad hair day, is there to make sure Simmons, now
called Spawn, lives up to his end of the deal, which includes killing
global kingpin Jason Wynn (Sheen) who is going to blow up the world if
he dies by a deal made with the Violator.
Yawn!! Who cares.  Leguizamo gives a horrendous and annoying
performance here, Sheen looks bored even though he couldn't be in a
better picture, and White doesn't have much to do as Spawn, as the
costume and effects on him steal the spotlight.
        Most of the effects in this movie, which were so anticipated and
talked up, look like you're playing Doom II on a 3DO system, its
completely computer and looks it, so the scenes of hell are ridiculous
and unrealistic.  This is another movie, such as TWISTER and
INDEPENDENCE DAY, where the plot and storyline are simply there to back
up the Special Effects, which can not and will not make a movie.
        The only positives I enjoyed from SPAWN are Mindy Clarke, not
for her acting but for some other features (nice rubber) and the special
effects on Spawn himself.

        I give this movie a single star * and do not recommend it to
anyone, there are much better movies out worth seeing.  AIR FORCE ONE,
anyone?

****    Excellent    (Air Force One, The Rock)
 ***     Good         (Face/Off, Mission Impossible)
   **     Fair            (Con Air, The Devil's Own)
     *     Poor           (Twister, Spawn)
     0    Horrible        (Batman and Robin, Congo)

Copyright 1997 [email-masked]    Jesse A. Kaplan