Subject: Review: Shrek (2001)

From: Shannon Patrick Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 18:57:52 -0000

SHREK (2001) / *** 1/2

Directed by Andrew Adamson and Vicky Jenson. Screenplay by Ted Elliott,
Terry Rossio, Joe Stillman and Roger SH Schulman, with additional dialogue
by Cody Cameron, Chris Miller and Conrad Vernon, based on the novel by
William Steig. Starring Mike Myers, Eddie Murphy, Cameron Diaz. Running
time: 89 minutes. Rated PG by the MFCB. Reviewed on August 27th, 2001.

By SHANNON PATRICK SULLIVAN

Synopsis: Shrek (Myers) is an ogre living in contented solitude deep in 
the heart of a forest, until his home is invaded by fairy tale creatures 
fleeing the rule of the evil Lord Farquaad (John Lithgow). Farquaad agrees 
to relocate the pests, on the condition that Shrek rescues Princess Fiona 
(Diaz) -- whom Farquaad desires to wed -- from a far-off castle. 
Grudgingly, Shrek sets out, joined in his quest by an unwanted companion, 
Donkey (Murphy).

Review: One memorable aspect of Disney's "Aladdin" was that it finally 
gave Robin Williams a character -- the Genie -- to best take advantage of 
his comic talents. "Shrek" does the same for Eddie Murphy; ironically, 
though, Murphy's ideal vessel turns out to be an ass. All the same, 
"Shrek" does represent Murphy's best comic outing in years, and as Donkey 
he steals all the best lines. For instance, after getting belted with 
pixie dust while trying to conceal his nature as a magical creature, 
Donkey soars into the air and scoffs, "Now I'm a flying talking donkey!" 
And despite its many contributors, the script for "Shrek" is full of such 
comic gems. Myers is delightful in more of a straight man role, and 
Lithgow also gets some great moments (watch for a hilarious repartee with 
the Gingerbread Man). "Shrek" takes great pleasure in lampooning fairy 
tales and nursery rhymes of all sorts, and reserves a few delightful 
knocks at Disney in the bargain. Things do go somewhat astray during the 
film's middle segment, which concentrates too much on the main characters 
at the expense of some of the terrific fairy tale satire which is the 
movie's greatest strength. But even then, one can always sit back and 
enjoy the beautiful computer animation, whose remarkable use here 
represents yet another dazzling leap forward for the technology.

Copyright © 2001 Shannon Patrick Sullivan.
Archived at The Popcorn Gallery,
  http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/movies.html

  |     Shannon Patrick Sullivan    |         [email-masked]          |       
  +---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
/  Doctor Who: A Brief History of Time (Travel)   go.to/drwho-history  \
\__ We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars __/

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 29377
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 247025
X-RT-TitleID: 1107906
X-RT-SourceID: 886
X-RT-AuthorID: 1699
X-RT-RatingText: 3.5/4