Subject: REVIEW: STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI (SPECIAL EDITION) (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Michael Redman)
Date: 3 Apr 1997 15:43:24 GMT

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI (SPECIAL EDITION)
                       A film review by Michael Redman
                        Copyright 1997 Michael Redman

*** (out of ****)

As I have mentioned before, the "Star Wars" trilogy makes much more
sense as one work than as three separate films. "Jedi" ends the tale
and, taken with the rest, is a part of one of most successful films of
all times. By itself, it is something of a weak ending.

When I saw this during its original release, I couldn't help but feel
disappointed. By that time, the great god "Merchandising" had reared its
ugly head and much of the movie seemed to exist to sell toys. The teddy
bear Ewoks would have contributed much more to the mythos with their
tribal teamwork versus the technology of the Empire if they weren't so
damned cute. But then they wouldn't have sold so many t-shirts.

Some of the problems exist for no reason. One of the strengths of the
project has always been the spectacular special effects, yet someone
must have been asleep when some of the "Jedi" scenes were executed. The
rubber-masked pig-men guards at Jabba's headquarters look like big kids
out trick or treating =97 and are just as convincing. The insipid blue
elephant creature appears as real as someone waving a stuffed animal
back and forth.  In an unfortunate decision, the musical number has been
extended for the Special Edition and works even more poorly than it did
in the original.

The attack on the new Death Star is remarkably similar to the attack on
the first one in "Star Wars".

I will also have to admit that I enjoyed the film much more this time
than during the eighties. Not having such high hopes, I was able to
concentrate on its strengths. Luke has his third (or is it fourth?)
father killed and must stand on his own. The character of the Emperor is
wonderful and the scenes with him, Vader and Luke are filled with
tension.

"Jedi" may be the weak link, but it is still better than 90% of the
other stuff out there.