Subject: REVIEW: STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI (SPECIAL EDITION) (197)

From: [email-masked] (Chad Polenz)
Date: 30 Jun 1997 23:49:25 GMT

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI (SPECIAL EDITION)
                       A film review by Chad Polenz
                        Copyright 1997 Chad Polenz

Chad'z rating: **** (out of 4 = excellent)
1997, PG, 136 minutes [2 hours, 16 minutes]
[fantasy]
starring: Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie
Fisher (Princess Leia), James Earl Jones (voice of Darth Vader), Billy Dee
Williams (Lando Calrissian), Ian McDiarmid (The Emperor), produced by Howard
Kazanjian, written by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, directed by Richard
Marquand.

"Star Wars" fanatics are divided into three camps with each camp believing
one of the films in the trilogy is superior to the other two. I'm a "Jedi"
fan myself and only recently have I realized I was on the underdog team.
Members from the other teams say this film has the least amount of depth, but
I strongly disagree. If "Star Wars" defined the basics of this universe
through a great adventure, and "The Empire Strikes Back" had a great sense of
design and expanded further with the mystical atmosphere of The Force, then
"Return Of The Jedi" brings everything together as it has the innocent,
thrilling adventure of the first film and brings the supernatural mood of the
second film down to a more personal and relatable level.

Technically, the first act isn't very important in the long run. Still, it
is always exciting to watch our heroes convene at Jabba The Hut's palace in
an effort to rescue Han Solo (Ford). One of the reasons the "Star Wars"
trilogy is so fun and appealing is probably due to this element of
friendship. 

Jabba and his palace have always been one of the strangest aspects of the
trilogy. He's a huge slug that everyone seems to voluntarily worship, and
although we never really learn why, it doesn't matter because it's so
charming. In this special edition the song and dance routines are even more
lighthearted than the original. In fact, it's so cartoony it seems like
something from one of the Muppet movies. But it was still fun to watch
because it's something familiar and brand new at the same time.

I never noticed how slowly the middle act is paced. The chase scene through
the forest of Endor has always been exciting, but seeing it on a big screen
left me breathless. Although it is just an excuse for action, it certainly is
original and fun to watch and I can respect that.

The naysayers claim "Jedi" doesn't have the mystery and mysticism the
previous films had, but I think it does. The truth of Luke's family is
finally confirmed, and the words both Yoda (voiced by Frank Oz), and Ben
Kenobi (Alec Guiness) use and the way they say them is moving. We might not
be able to relate to The Force but we all can relate to family, and therefore
we sympathize with Luke's plight. In order to save the universe he must
confront Darth Vader (voiced by Jones), his father, just when he realizes he
is capable of redemption.

If ever there was a character of pure evil, The Emperor (McDiarmid) is it.
Although he is just a character in a movie, he is quite possibly the closest
representation of who we know to be Satan. His dialogue might be a bit over
the top, but that is the point. The Emperor plays mind games not only with
Luke but with each individual viewer as he placates to and encourages hate.
We had always thought of Darth Vader as bad, but we suddenly see him in a
different manner as he does something that takes more courage and power than
the entire Rebel Alliance has to offer.

The final act of is a non-stop adrenaline rush. It's a fantastic,
adventurous battle that has been built up over the course of three films.
When the cute, innocent Ewoks ring out their battle cry against the evil
Imperial Empire it's something that would be stupid anywhere else, but
because these films are so charming it's inspiring. At the same time, Lando
Calrissian (Williams) and the Rebels' attack against the second Death Star
and the massive Imperial army is wonderful. 

The ending to this special edition is basically the same as the original but
with a few modifications and additions. Instead of the Ewoks' tribal music,
we get a much more glamorous and modern score over several shots of thousands,

if not millions of people celebrating the defeat of the Empire. These shots
were absolutely marvelous, and I wish more had been added.

I still say "Return Of The Jedi" is the best of the trilogy as it has all
the surface and metaphysical elements of the two prior films, and an
exciting, charming, and detailed story. But, to paraphrase Randal Graves (see
"Clerks"), I can't help but wonder if any independent contractors working on
the uncompleted Death Star weren't innocent victims when it was destroyed by
the Rebels? 

Please visit Chad'z Movie Page @ http://members.aol.com/ChadPolenz
e-mail: [email-masked]