Subject: RETROSPECTIVE: RETURN OF THE JEDI (1983)

From: [email-masked] (Chad Polenz)
Date: 26 Jun 1997 16:18:14 GMT

RETURN OF THE JEDI
                       A film review by Chad Polenz
                        Copyright 1997 Chad Polenz

Chad'z rating: **** (out of 4 = excellent)
1983, PG, 133 minutes [2 hours, 13 minutes]
[fantasy]
starring: Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), Harrison Ford (Han Solo), Carrie
Fisher (Princess Leia), James Earl Jones (voice of Darth Vader), Billy Dee
Williams (Lando Calrissian), Ian McDiarmid (The Emperor), produced by Howard
Kazanjian, written by George Lucas, Lawrence Kasdan, directed by Richard
Marquand.
	
In "Star Wars" we got a swashbuckling tale of a few good guys against a lot
of really bad guys. In "The Empire Strikes Back" we got a great study in
character and vivid definition of the universe and the powers that be. Now
with "Return Of The Jedi" we get that innocent thrilling adventure but at the
same time a philosophical portrait of the good and evil battles within a
person and how they can be much more brutal than the Death Star.

As the story opens we once again see our favorite droids, C3-PO (Anthony
Daniels) and R2-D2 (Kenny Baker), on their way to Jabba The Hut's palace.
Here is where Han Solo's (Ford) frozen body lies, property of the gambler he
never had a chance to pay back. Jabba is a huge, worm-like creature weighing
thousands of pounds. He is disgusting to look at, but he also gives forth an
image of power as everyone seems to do his bidding.

Eventually all of the main characters end up in Jabba's palace, either
through a disguise (Princess Leia and Lando Calrissian - Fisher, Williams),
mock imprisonment (Chewbacca - Peter Mayhew), or by walking in the front door
(Luke Skywalker - Hamill). 

Luke claims to be a Jedi Knight but he seems powerless against the mighty
Jabba. The battle and escape scene out in the desert is pure swashbuckling,
as Hamill seems more like Eroll Flynn up against pirates than a Jedi Knight
fighting evil aliens. This is not one of the most original scenes in the
trilogy, but it is probably the most fun as it is all hand-to-hand combat
instead of spaceships.

Luke goes back to Degobah to complete his Jedi training with Yoda (voiced by
Frank Oz), but we learn he does not need any more, the only thing left to do
is to "confront" Darth Vader (voiced by Jones). Yoda tells Luke another
Skywalker exists, and Ben Kenobi (Alec Guinness) again appears to Luke and
elaborates further. This adds to the great mythology of The Force and the
Jedi Knights. We also know a final battle between Luke and Vader is imminent,
which adds to the metaphysical suspense.

Back at the Rebel Alliance the final assault against the Empire is about to
occur. Another Death Star has been constructed and is orbiting a forest moon
where it is protected by an energy shield. Han Solo will lead a team to
infiltrate and destroy the shield generator while Lando Calrissian will lead
the attack on the Death Star. In "Star Wars," this great feeling of uniting
together to fight the evil power didn't occur towards the end, the fact it
happens early here is fantastic because the intense excitement lasts for the
rest of the film, not just the climax.

The Emperor (McDiarmid) is the epitome of the ultimate evil character. He
hides his red eyes and wrinkled face under a dark cloak, he speaks in a
devilish tone without raising his voice, and of course he has that wicked
laugh. When Skywalker comes face to face with him, we realize it is his words
that make him so evil. He encourages Luke to act on instinct and strike him
down, but Luke knows the power of the Dark Side cannot be used against
itself.

Han Solo and Princess Leia's strike team gains victory over the Imperials
with the help of primitive, bear-like creatures called Ewoks. The Ewoks are
so cute and innocent that when they launch an attack against the Imperial
Army the irony of it all is really exciting (I almost cried!). 

What is even more moving is Darth Vader's ultimate salvation. It's amazing
the Alliance's savior would be the person they had been fighting against all
along.

Needless to say the rebels do win in the end, and the space battle is even
more detailed this time than any other scene in the trilogy, but it isn't the
most important point. "Return Of The Jedi" has once again taken us as far
away from own reality as possible to make a statement much closer to the
heart. 

Please visit Chad'z Movie Page @ http://members.aol.com/ChadPolenz