Subject: REVIEW: POWDER

From: [email-masked] (Ben Hoffman)
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 1995 18:50:24 GMT

POWDER
                       A film review by Ben Hoffman
                        Copyright 1995 Ben Hoffman

     While the film, POWDER, would have to fall into the genre of
science fiction, the film is absolutely mesmerizing.   It happens that
the genre is perfect for the story.  Equally as important is that it
tells us something about ourselves that everyone should by now know.
And that is that anyone who is "different" from us is suspect, is to be
ridiculed, and feared.

     Powder (Sean Patrick Flanery) is such a person.  His mother
dies the day he is born.  He is an Albino whose father is horrified
when he sees him.  The doctor says there may be other odd things
about the baby.   So when the father dies his grandmother puts him
in a room that is the cellar of the cottage.  Obviously, she does
not want the neighbors to know about him.   When Barnam (Lance
Henricksen) finds out about him he calls on Jessie Caldwell (Mary
Steenburgen) who runs a school for young men who have been in
trouble with the law and need to be taught how to behave.    Almost
needless to add, the "students"  begin to mock the newcomer.  This
leads to some very funny special effects.

     Powder, it is discovered, has an I.Q. that is so high it cannot
be graded.  He also has other powers and these are used to startle
those who try to take advantage of him.    He can manipulate
electricity, magnetize and do other special things that ordinary
people cannot do.

     Steenburgen is her usual kind, sweet self.  Jeff Goldblum as
the science teacher who befriends him is magnificently charming  in
the smallish role he has.  Both the sheriff and his bullying deputy
(Brandon Smith) are excellent.  In short, then, this is a film not
to be missed..

     Written and directed by Victor Salva.

3.5 bytes
                        4 Bytes =Superb
                        3 Bytes = Too good to be missed.
                        2 Bytes = So so.
                        1 Byte  = Save your money.

--
Ben Hoffman