Subject: Review: Planet of the Apes (1968)

From: [email-masked] (Mathew Tschirgi)
Date: 19 Oct 1998 04:47:23 GMT

PLANET OF THE APES

STARRING: CHARLTON HESTON AND RODDY MCDOWALL

There are mainly two groups of science fiction.  One group is primarily action 
based using scientific impossibilities as objects in the story, such as 
INDEPENDENCE DAY, STAR WARS, and EVENT HORIZON.  The other group creates a 
scientifically impossible situation that is resolved by using brains and logic 
rather than brawn and weapons like many of the STAR TREK films, DARK CITY, and 
DR. STRANGELOVE.  PLANET OF THE APES falls in the "brains" category.

It starts with a ship crashing on another planet.  The crew members, which 
include Taylor (CHARLTON HESTON), decide to explore.  This planet seems barren 
until the trio of astronauts discover a race of stupid humans.  Taylor 
comments, "If this is the best they have, we'll have this planet conquered in 
about 6 months."  Soon chaos erupts as a group of gorillas charge forward and 
begin to brutally attack any human they see.  Taylor is trapped on the PLANET 
OF THE APES.  He finds some friends in the form of Cornelius (RODDY MCDOWALL) 
and Zira (Kim Hunter), a pair of chimpanzees devoted to domesticating humans.  
The Head of Science and Religion, Dr. Zaius (Maurice Evans), doesn't wish 
humans and apes to get along however...

This movie won an Honorary Oscar for its detailed make-up effects used on the 
many varieties of apes in the film.  The acting is pretty decent throughout, 
with some exceptions.  Several of the lines are variations on classic humans 
phrases: "Monkey see, monkey do" becoming "Human see, human do" is a decent 
example.  The special effects of the opening sequence leave a lot to be 
desired.  The first 30 minutes of the film are pretty slow, but the film picks 
up as soon as the apes come in and doesn't stop until the surprise ending.

Those who are used to more action-oriented films will probably be bored by 
this movie.  It has a little bit of action here and there, but not enough to 
say that it dominates the whole film.  PLANET OF THE APES is an interesting 
science fiction film that will leave you thinking at the end with its subtle 
commentary on humans as a race.  I give it *** out of ****.