Subject: Review: Pitch Black (2000)

From: Jamey Hughton <[email-masked]>
Date: 5 Mar 2000 20:08:30 GMT

PITCH BLACK
*** (out of four stars)
A review by Jamey Hughton

Starring-Vin Diesel, Radha Mitchell, Cole Hauser,
Keith David, Lewis Fitz-Gerald and Rhiana Griffith
Director-David Twohy
Canadian Rating-14A

MOVIE VIEWS by Jamey Hughton
http://Welcome.to/MovieViews

Total crap. That would be the most accurate choice of words when
describing the majority of sci-fi monster movies that have been exposed
to in the past few years. Characters were pursued down flooded cruise
liner hallways by fake tentacles (“Deep Rising”), stalked by robotic
aliens (“Virus”) and swarmed by ugly flying mammals (“Bats”). And let’s
not forgot this January’s “Supernova”. Holy Lord, did that movie reek.
But before you reject “Pitch Black”, a science-fiction film with no
A-list stars or special trimmings, keep in mind that director David
Twohy is behind the camera. You may recollect that Twohy’s directorial
debut was the highly intelligent (and highly underappreciated) alien
takeover film “The Arrival”. Sure, Charlie Sheen was in it, but the film
was executed with an unusual aura of imagination and style. Twohy also
co-scripted the excellent cat-and-mouse thriller “The Fugitive” in 1993,
so with “Pitch Black”, I was expecting more than just a bloody parade of
stock characters pitted in unoriginal situations. There was also my
knowledge that, in addition, Twohy penned “Waterworld”.... but hey, we
all make mistakes.

“Pitch Black” opens with a bang. A transport ship carrying several
passengers and some particularly dangerous cargo collides with space
debris and plummets through the stratosphere in an astounding 10-minutes
of seat-gripping disorientation. The unscheduled landing site is a
desolate, seemingly uninhabited desert planet with three suns. The
handful of survivors include captain Fry (Radha Mitchell), the
strong-minded heroine with more than a dash of Ripley in her soul,
rugged lawman Johns (Cole Hauser), and the dangerous cargo - a murderous
convict by the name of Riddick (Vin Diesel). Riddick’s chilling opening
narrative defines his character to a tee: “They say in cryo-sleep, the
only part of you that doesn’t shut down is the primitive side...the
animal,” he says.  “I guess that’s why I’m still awake.” When Riddick
frees himself from his confinement to roam the planet by foot, the
remaining passengers get spooked. But what they really should be
concerned about is the local wildlife: an endless swarm of nocturnal
creatures that could be described as carnivorous hammerhead
pterodactyls. Luckily, they only attack at night. Johns has a
breakthrough: “They seem to stick to darkness, so if we stick to
daylight, we should be alright.”

And then, a total eclipse occurs. Isn’t that always the luck of
characters in this type of movie? At any rate, the survivors must
scramble across the desert plain with the necessary amount of energy
cells they will require to takeoff. The real question at hand is this:
placed in a life-threatening situation, will Riddick help the crew or
flee for the sake of his own freedom? Would you believe that this, the
extra dimension of character development, is one standout factor that
makes “Pitch Black” so refreshing? ‘Tis true. The screenplay, by Twohy
and brothers Jim and Ken Wheat (who penned several forgettable sci-fi
movies), is a competent tension builder that boasts an absorbing set-up
and some palpable character interaction. There are memorable scenes, all
stemming from the character of Riddick. Inman (Keith David), the leader
of a small group of Islamic pilgrims, approaches Riddick to question his
faith in God. The timid English boozehound Paris (well-played by Lewis
Fitz-Gerald) is positively horrified of him, and finally there’s the kid
(Rhiana Griffith), who wants to be Riddick.

Diesel, tough and lean, makes quite the lasting impression. But the real
star here is the alien foe - a massive, skittering army of clawed
monsters, sensationally well-devised and sleek in their appearance.
Twohy builds tension nicely by keeping the creatures in the shadows
until the eclipse, when they emerge from under the planet’s surface in
tremendous numbers. All around, the visual effects - including the
well-edited crash sequence - are top-of-the-line in quality, despite the
relatively meager budget.

The script offers us intelligence, but it eventually degenerates into a
leftover creature feature ghoulash. The stylish, visually polished
appearance of “Pitch Black”, often bleached out in a manner reminiscent
of the Gulf War comedy “Three Kings”, is the film’s most vital
component. Effective images such as the towering skeletonized remains of
past inhabitants are scattered across the alien landscape, and the
cinematography is spellbinding. The only time Twohy really indulges is
during a few attack sequences which reveal that he could have graduated
from the Brian DePalma school of editing; these fast, choppy cuts are
rather ineffective. My major complaint was the lack of action during the
2nd act. This all changes, however, when the lights go down and the
beasties come out to play...and not in a friendly sense.

All three primary actors - Diesel, Mitchell and Hauser - do splendidly
with building their characters. “Pitch Black” offers some aspects that
regular science-fiction does not: characters that we can identify with,
a thoughtful visual look, and a few genuine surprises for such a
simplistic plot. So, without further ado, sci-fi fans may rejoice: the
sleek, intelligent “Pitch Black” is superior monster mayhem.

(C) 2000, Jamey Hughton

MOVIE VIEWS by Jamey Hughton
http://Welcome.to/MovieViews

Your Comments Appreciated! [email-masked]