Subject: REVIEW: MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Michael J. Legeros)
Date: 17 May 1996 16:12:07 GMT

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE
                       A film review by Michael John Legeros
                        Copyright 1996 Michael John Legeros

(Gramercy)
Directed by     Jim Mallon
Written by      Michael J. Nelson, Trace Beaulieu, Jim Mallon, Kevin
                Murphy, Mary Jo Pehl, Paul Chaplin, Bridget Jones
MPAA Rating     "PG-13"
Running Time    74 minutes
Reviewed at     The Colony, Raleigh, NC (8MAY96)

==

     Mike Nelson, Tom Servo, and Craig T. Robot bring their cable-TV
shtick to the big screen in MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE,
though with a substantially less-awful target to take aim at.  The
three, who sit silhouetted at the bottom of the frame, wisecrack their
way through the cheesy 1955 classic THIS ISLAND EARTH.  From sitcoms to
"Star Trek" to DR. STRANGELOVE, their comments come from every corner of
the pop-culture spectrum.  More gags fail than fly, sure, but they all
contribute to an atmosphere of mirth and merriment that lasts the
duration of the film.  You'll laugh; you'll howl.  (Unfortunately, the
other sequences-- those set in the dog bone-shaped space station, where
the characters live, breathe, and watch movies-- are cheap-looking and
largely unfunny.) The best part of MST3K: THE MOVIE is that the humor
lacks either a mean-spirited or condescending edge.  The writers don't
attempt to outsmart the viewer; instead, they invite us to laugh along
with them.  They know, as we do, that bad movies are best heckled at.

     Grade: B

--

Mike Legeros - Raleigh, NC 
[email-masked] (h) - [email-masked] (w)
Visit me in MOVIE HELL <URL http://www.n-vision.com/hell/>