Subject: REVIEW: MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Chuck Dowling)
Date: 7 Mar 1997 15:41:44 GMT

MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000: THE MOVIE
                       A film review by Chuck Dowling
                        Copyright 1997 Chuck Dowling

Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie (1996) **** out of ***** - Cast:
Michael J. Nelson, Trace Beaulieu, Kevin Murphy, Jim Mallon.  Directed By:
Jim Mallon.  Running Time: 73 minutes.

Big screen version of the cult favorite TV series from Comedy Central.  If
you are unfamiliar with the show, here's the basic premise: Mike Nelson and
his robot friends are trapped in space and forced to watch really bad
movies.  To make the film more tolerable, they talk throughout the film,
making lots of jokes and obscure references to a number of different things.

For the big motion picture version they are forced to watch "This Island
Earth", a horrible 50s sci-fi flick (which surprisingly many film guides
rate highly).  There are only minor differences between this film and the
series: it is funnier than most episodes, it runs a little shorter, the
segments in between the watching of the film aren't done as well as on the
show, and it is rated PG-13, which allows for a little use of language,
but nothing too shocking I assure you.  And be sure to stay tuned through
the final credits.

For some ridiculous and completely stupid reason, Comedy Central cancelled
the TV show right before the film's release.  Comedy Central is now minus one
quality show.  The show has been picked up, however, by The Sci-Fi
Network.  The Sci-Fi network is run by some very bright individuals.

-- 
Chuck Dowling
Visit Chuck's Movie Reviews at http://users.southeast.net/~chuckd21/
Over 1,600 movies rated and/or reviewed!  Movie news, film related
links, and reader's reviews.