Subject: REVIEW: MEN IN BLACK (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Christopher Null)
Date: 30 Jun 1997 23:49:34 GMT

MEN IN BLACK
                      A film review by Christopher Null
                       Copyright 1997 Christopher Null

At last, someone remembered how to make a good summer movie!

With a clever, funny script and dead-on acting by title characters Will
Smith and Tommy Lee Jones at the heart of this hot weather gem, MIB gets
it all just about right, succeeding at crossing the sci-fi and comedy
genres where recent experiments like MARS ATTACKS! crashed and burned. 
Linda Fiorentino, almost unbilled in a great supporting role, also lends
a fun sexiness to the film -- a picture in which the leads seem
perfectly crafted for its stars.

While the plotline about chasing an interstellar bug around New York is
a little spare (clocking in at around 90 minutes) and devoid of much
sub-plot, it's so damn funny that you'll practically forget about all of
that... another trick that recent offerings haven't pulled off.  Also,
make sure you stay to the end, wherein a surprisingly humble look at
life is revealed... especially when you consider that this came from
Hollywood.

RATING:  ****

|------------------------------|
 \ ***** Perfection             \
  \ **** Good, memorable film    \
   \ *** Average, hits and misses \
    \ ** Sub-par on many levels    \
     \ * Unquestionably awful       \
      |------------------------------|

-Christopher Null  /  [email-masked]  /  Writer-Producer
-Visit the Movie Emporium at http://www.filmcritic.com
-and Null Set Productions at http://www.filmcritic.com/nullset.htm