Subject: REVIEW: MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN

From: [email-masked] (Mark Santora)
Date: 26 Feb 92 17:58:51 GMT

[Followups directed to rec.arts.movies.  -Moderator]

			MEMOIRS OF AN INVISIBLE MAN
		       A film review by Mark Santora
			Copyright 1992 Mark Santora

     The teaming up of John Carpenter and Chevy Chase, sounds
interesting, doesn't it?  Well, I was uniquely intrigued.  I am not a
very big Chevy Chase fan.  But, because I am a very big fan of
Mr. Carpenter's work, I decided that I would give the film a chance.
Here are my findings.

     First, this is not a typical John Carpenter film.  There are no
underlying messages in the film.  There are no clever subtexts for the
audience to wrestle with.  I must admit, it threw me.  But as soon as I
realized that the film was simply for enjoyment, I started to get into
the film.

     I must admit, although Chevy Chase's recent films have recently
made me quite weary of him, this should do a great deal to revitalize
his carrer.  First, he plays the movie straight.  Granted, he should
have been doing this years ago, but the film benefits from it.  Of
course, playing an invisible man, Chevy gets to walk and bump into
things for a little slapstick.  But it is part of the film's natural
progress.

     Here is a quick plot summary.  Chevy Chase plays an investment
banker who meets Daryl Hannah one night.  They hit it off.  Anyway,
after she leaves, he gets drunk.  The next morning he has a lecture to
attend.  When he arrives hung over, he goes to find a bathroom.  Chevy
falls asleep in a sauna.  An accident makes the science lab loose
control over their machinery and causes portions of the building to
appear invisible.  This is a *great* effect, from the fun guys at ILM.
Anyway, when some CIA guys find out about him, headed by Sam Neill, they
instantly start out after him.

     The effects are good.  The mirror images of Chevy are not overused
in an attempt to make him appear invisible (oxymoron).  John Carpenter's
direction is again top-notch.  I believe that this is his biggest studio
film since BIG TROUBLE IN LITTLE CHINA (a personal favorite).

     Okay.  Final thoughts.  This is a good film.  We are not talking
Oscar time here, but this is worth your look.  Out of 10, I rate it a
7.

    How I scale things:
                      1.  Save your money.
                      2.  Not worth the rental.
                      3.  There are better student films.
                      4.  Stupid, with few redeeming qualities.
                      5.  Watchable without blowing chunks.
                      6.  You could do worse, 1-4.
                      7.  Worth the money
                      8.  Really good.
                      9.  Excellent.
                     10.  MUST SEE.
                            -there aren't a lot of these...