Subject: Retrospective: Mars Attacks! (1996)

From: Dragan Antulov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 19:02:12 -0000

MARS ATTACKS! (1996)

A Film Review 
Copyright Dragan Antulov 2003

In 1990s Hollywood discovered new sources of inspiration, and 
sometimes those sources of inspiration proved to be more than 
unusual. In case of Tim Burton some of those sources were 
downright bizarre. The best example was his 1996 science fiction 
parody MARS ATTACKS!, based on the set of 1960s trading cards.

Just as the title says, plot deals with planet Earth being invaded by 
aliens from Mars. They come to Earth in thousands of flying sources, 
armed with powerful ray guns and sadistic sense of humour. Their 
apparent aim is to exterminate all life, including humans, and they 
have great fun in doing so. However, clueless US President (played 
by Jack Nicholson) would need extra proof before he gets convinced 
in true nature of Martian intentions. By the time he knows what 
awaits Earth, it is too late - unstoppable Martians are killing and 
destroying all in their path. However, small band of survivors, that 
includes donut shop clerk from Kansas (played by Lukas Haas) 
would by chance discover a way to defeat the invaders.

In 1994 Tim Burton directed ED WOOD and thus paid the ultimate 
homage to Ed Wood, filmmaker (in)famous as the author of the worst 
film ever made. But it seems that Burton wanted to go even further 
and make film with reputation equal to PLAN 9 FROM OUTER 
SPACE, Wood's best known achievement. Unlike Wood, he had some 
70 million US$ of budget at his disposal and this budget is very 
visible in the film. There are plenty of CGI shots and the cast is really 
impressive, with some famous actors like Nicholson having to play 
more than one role. However, all their efforts seem wasted because 
the characters they play are so one-dimensional and annoying that 
the audience wouldn't notice or even care when they get pulverised 
by Martians. Another big problem of MARS ATTACKS! is lack of 
humour in Jonathan Gems' script - and since this is comedy, that 
means that the audience would have to watch a single joke all over 
again. However, occasionally there are few hits among many misses 
and those patient enough to sit through the entire film would be 
awarded with an memorable image or two. But those memorable 
images are hardly the reason to be subjected to MARS ATTACKS!, 
the most unpleasant surprise to all those who had based their 
expectations on the previous work of someone like Tim Burton.

RATING: 3/10 (+)

Review written on May 22nd 2003

Dragan Antulov a.k.a. Drax
http://film.purger.com - Filmske recenzije na hrvatskom/Movie Reviews in
Croatian
http://www.purger.com/users/drax/reviews.htm - Movie Reviews in English
http://www.ofcs.org - Online Film Critics Society

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 34899
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 1145101
X-RT-TitleID: 1074473
X-RT-AuthorID: 1307
X-RT-RatingText: 3/10