Subject: Review: Lost in Space (1998)

From: "Mark O'Hara" <[email-masked]>
Date: 9 Oct 1998 05:40:26 GMT

Lost in Space (1998)

Ever since my wife bought me a toy "B-9" Robot for our anniversary, I 
had wanted to see the newest incarnation of "Lost in Space."

Aside from the characters, it's not much like the campy 60's series. (Of 
course, I didn't exactly recognize the campiness at the time; I was too 
busy hiding my eyes during the alien scenes. "Lost in Space" was the 
only TV show scarier than the monster scenes in "Voyage to the Bottom of 
the Sea"!) 

Following the premise of the series occupied much of the running time. 
But it's a good premise: the Robinson family's animation is suspended 
while the Jupiter 2 cruises to a planet ten years away. Their journey is 
interrupted by a 90's version of B-9 -- only slicker, butch; but the 
booming voice is the same. Anyway, the adventures the family encounters 
after they are lost are worth watching: mostly smooth computer-generated 
critters, and a version of the vile Doctor Smith that made me and my 12 
year-old son shiver. (No, I'm still not de-sensitized to the horror that 
monsters are supposed to instill!)

Though I like William Hurt immensely (no one could have played the 
reluctant travel writer in "The Accidental Tourist" better), he is 
miscast as John Robinson. OK -- the head of the family is a heady 
scientist, but Hurt I can't see as action hero. The rest of the cast is 
solid -- the ubiquitous Gary Oldman (is he British, or what?) is 
eminently dislikable -- though not nearly as goofy as his television 
counterpart. 

Get ready for another franchise. "Lost in Space" is entertaining. I'd 
pay to see a sequel, especially with the chance it might have just a 
shade more camp and self-reflexive humor.

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com