Subject: Review: Lost In Space (1998)

From: "C.J HILL" <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 1998 01:16:31 GMT

Lost In Space (PG) UK Review.

Lost In Space is the Hollywood remake of the terrible, black and white
series.  Unfortunately the lessons learnt over the years on how to
improve on the past have clearly not been adhered to.

The reasons for my conclusions to this are as following.  First
there's the plot.  A modern trend nowadays seems to favour great fx in
favour of a well thought out and well acted story. This is the case
here.  The story is that Earth's resources are almost depleted and the
Robinsons venture off across the galaxy in search of a planet that's
been found to be identical to ours.  The mission is sabotaged courtesy
of Gary Oldman and the family, along with Oldman who was trapped
onboard the ship as he carried out his plan, find themselves lost in
space.  Ahem.  How many times have we had the "Futuristic Earth out of
resources" plot.  Too many, that's how many.  Next, the acting.  With
the exception of Mr Oldman, who's excellent skills are clearly wasted
in this tosh and nonsense, the acting is dreadful.  Next up is the
awful script to accompany the bad acting.  It's lifeless, dull and
does not inspire any interest or empathy for any of the characters.
Finally all the action and some other scenes as well are ripped
directly out of other great sci-fi classics. Star Wars, The Empire
Strikes Back, E.T, Blade Runner and even Aliens come under the hammer.

So, is there any reason to see Lost In Space?  Well, one.  The special
effects.  They are fantastic.  These will induce compulsory
drooling. I do not expect to see these bettered until next year, when,
no doubt they will.

To sum up, Lost In Space is terrible.  It does not have one original
idea of it's own and even having big names in the cast has not helped
it one bit.  Take a tissue for your drool and an incredibly open mind
for the rest.

	Utter tosh.  2/10

Review by Chris Hill.