

LOST IN SPACE (1998)

Starring: Jack Johnson (Will Robinson), Gary Oldman (Dr. Zachary Smith),
William Hurt (John Robinson), Matt LeBlanc (Major Don West), Lacey
Chabert (Penny Robinson), Mimi Rogers (Maureen Robinson), Heather Graham
(Judy Robinson), Dick Tufeld (voice of Robot)

Directed by: Stephen Hopkins, Written by: Akiva Goldsman 

Rated PG-13 by the MPAA for violence, strong language, and sexual
situations

Reviewed by Doug Skiles

"We're lost... aren't we?" - Penny Robinson

Yes, the Robinson family is lost again, with Dr. Smith, Major West, and,
of course, the Robot, all in tow.  You probably know about this, though,
since it's been advertised since last August or so.  It's been
advertised as much as your typical effects-heavy summer film blast, but
it sure as hell isn't summer yet.  At any rate, as you can probably
guess, LOST IN SPACE is based on the TV series of the same name that
aired in the 1960s.  And, as such, the plot has a number of similar
aspects in it.

In the future, the Earth is dying.  In only two more decades, it will be
uninhabitable for human life.  However, one planet has been found that
can be colonized to save the human race - Alpha Prime.  The planet is
ten years away however - and that's where the Robinson family comes in. 
The Robinsons, their pilot Major Don West, and a defensive robot are to
take the ten year journey (spent in cryo-sleep - by the humans at least)
on board the Jupiter 2 to Alpha Prime, and build a hypergate there. 
This gate can then be used along with the identical gate built next to
Earth so allow the citizens of our lovely blue planet to transport
instantaneously to Alpha Prime.  It all seems like a fine plan, but no
one counts on Dr. Zachary Smith, who, working in cooperation with
terrorist faction, attempts to sabotage the Robinsons' mission. 
Unfortunately for Smith, he's caught on board the Jupiter 2 when it
takes off, and, thanks to his own efforts, he, along with the Robinsons,
West, and, yes, the Robot, are now "lost in space." And I'm sure you
know what that leads to...

"Danger Will Robinson, Danger!" - Robot

And then the real questions arise.  What will happen when the Robinsons
become lost?  What will they do with Dr. Smith?  What kind of strange
dangers will they encounter out in the unexplored regions of the
galaxy?  And what happens when talented director Stephen Hopkins and
lord-of-destruction Akiva Goldsman team up to create a big-budget, major
release, highly-anticipated film?  

LOST IN SPACE swings wildly around the quality spectrum.  It has moments
of intense coolness, as well as moments of intense idiocy.  In the end,
though, despite cheesy aspects, I had a good time.  At first I felt like
I had taken part in a guilty pleasure - perhaps I had no business
enjoying a movie with the problems that it has.  But then, why should I
feel guilty?  I had fun, and damn it, that's gotta be a good thing.  

The direction is well handled, thanks to Stephen Hopkins, who worked
well on films like PREDATOR 2 (1990) and THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS
(1996).  The production design also looks great.  Gorgeous settings fill
the screen.  Details down to the costumes - even those slightly BATMAN &
ROBIN-like rubberish cryo-suits - looked good.  And the Robot was just
plain nifty.  

The special effects are incredible all around, from start to finish. 
Well, okay, there's on exception to that, but I'll get to that in a
second.

The sci-fi elements are, for the large part, well handled, even when
they could turn out convoluted.  The things the Robinsons encounter are
always interesting and fun (or creepy), whether animate or inanimate. 
Well, okay, there's one exception to the "animate" part, but I'll get to
that in a second.

Time is actually taken in this film to get to know the characters a
little better.  Even in the midst of their problems, we learn a little
more about their personalities.  A couple of these scenes are cheesy,
but largely, they fit in, and help move the story along well, as well as
helping us to care more about John, Will, Maureen and the gang, all the
way down to dear old Robot.

As for the performances, the real find is Jack Johnson as Will
Robinson.  Child actors often come across as annoying, but Johnson is
extremely good in this role.  Gary Oldman's Dr. Smith is often somewhat
of a friendly villian, but whatever take on the role that he's aiming
for, he does it very well, as you'd expect.  William Hurt and Mimi
Rogers are solid as the Robinson parents, with Hurt doing well as a
busy-yet-caring father (almost becoming a film cliche) and Rogers...
well, not having enough screen time.  Chabert also does nicely in the
role of young Penny, but, this being the first time I've heard her
voice, I was pretty surprised at the distrubingly inhuman
crazed-chipmunk-that-rode-the-bat-out-of-hell high-pitch intonation in
her voice.  And can someone explain why the special effects boys decided
to obviously enhance her cleavage?  Matt LeBlanc, as West, was also
surprising, but in a good manner.  He fit exactly as he should have into
the role of the good Major, and, even though he didn't stray terribly
far from his character Joey on "Friends," he might be able to have a
real film career - something I always thought only Courtney Cox and
Matthew Perry (okay, maybe Jennifer Aniston... ) would muster.  Dick
Tufeld's vocal work on the Robot is something fans will recognize from
the original series, as also Tufeld voiced the original Robot.  His work
here is an indispensable asset to the production, and really drives up
the old fun factor.  The Robot turns out to be not just another effect,
but another good character.  

But what about Heather Graham?  Well, this is the first film I've seen
Graham in.  Maybe it's the fact that her role was underwritten, but
Graham doesn't show much talent here.  She seems to have been hired
largely for her looks.  Of all the cast members, she is the most painful
to watch, mostly since too much of her time is taken up serving one of
the film's lamer subplots.  And, as such, she's going to serve as my
segue way into the bad elements of the movie.

That lame subplot is the flirtation between Don West and Judy.  It's
pointless, it's stupid, it's badly written, and it really didn't need to
be there.  It even leads into a short sexual-tease scene that feels very
out of place in a film that's otherwise fine for most families (as long
as they don't mind the profanity).  But there the subplot is, and it
takes up screen time, as well as allowing for two or three fair jokes. 
I guess we have to let it live.

Remember my certain "animate" problem?  And my one special effects
problem?  Well, if you want to know what it is that manages to
inexplicably be the only bad effect in the film, as well as be a
slightly lame subplot in itself, I say only this: monkeyish Ewok-spawn
must die. 

The first half hour of the film gives a couple of indications that you
might be lined up for something unsettlingly campy.  Never fear, though,
as things definitely get better once people get frozen on the Jupiter 2.

And, yes, the dialogue reaches a number of points where it sounds overly
dumb.  But most of the time, things are alright, and even when it sound
stupid, it's not so bad that it can't be forgiven.

Despite all this, though, the film is a good time.  Cheesy at times,
foolish at times, beautiful at times, unrelentingly cool at others, it's
a mixed bag that finally stacks up to be a fine show.  Akiva Goldsman,
who killed BATMAN & ROBIN (1997) and damaged BATMAN FOREVER (1995) seems
to be going up, and maybe, with work, will be a solid screenwriter at
long last.  Or hey, maybe not.  Just stay away from the superhero
franchises, Akiva.  Hopkins is still solid.  The cast is good - Johnson
is a real find - and the effects/settings/production designs are
frequently dazzling.  It has humor, adventure, and creepiness.  It has
good, and bad, and luckily for us all, the good wins out.  Yes, this is
LOST IN SPACE.  There's been a lot of films created based on TV shows. 
And for every funny THE ADDAMS FAMILY (1991) there's a painful CAR 54,
WHERE ARE YOU? (1994).  And, sure, you can't expect them all to turn out
as good as THE FUGITIVE (1993) or even MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE (1996).  But
LOST IN SPACE manages to join the ranks of the more entertaining movies
in the genre.  It's not the best, but it's one of the good ones, and I
have no problem with seeing more of the Robinson famly in the future. 
"Get lost," and enjoy.

RATING: ***

"Breathe, Penny, breathe." - Will Robinson