Subject: Review: Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring, The (2001)

From: Shannon Patrick Sullivan <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2001 19:27:27 -0000

THE LORD OF THE RINGS: THE FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING (2001) / ****

Directed by Peter Jackson. Screenplay by Fran Walsh, Philippa Boyens and
Jackson, based on the novel by JRR Tolkien. Starring Elijah Wood, Ian
McKellen, Viggo Mortensen. Running time: 177 minutes. Rated PG for
frightening scenes by the MFCB. Reviewed on December 21st, 2001.

By SHANNON PATRICK SULLIVAN

Synopsis: In the realm of Middle-Earth live the diminutive Hobbits. Sixty 
years ago, one unusually adventurous Hobbit, Bilbo Baggins (Ian Holm) 
discovered a magical ring which he bequeathes to his nephew Frodo (Wood). 
But the wizard Gandalf the Grey (McKellen) discovers that Frodo's ring is 
actually the legendary One Ring, crafted by the Dark Lord Sauron millennia 
ago to dominate the world. Frodo must bring the Ring to the wasteland of 
Mordor to destroy it in the fires of the volcano where it was forged. To 
aid him in his quest, a reluctant Fellowship is formed: Gandalf, Frodo's 
faithful gardener Sam (Sean Astin), mischievous Hobbits Pippin (Billy 
Boyd) and Merry (Dominic Monaghan), the ranger Strider (Mortensen), human 
lord Boromir (Sean Bean), the Dwarf Gimli (John Rhys-Davies), and the Elf 
Legolas (Orlando Bloom). But as they cross the lands of Middle-Earth, the 
Fellowship is assailed on all sides by the forces of Sauron, including the 
spectral Ringwraiths, the monstrous Orks, and even Gandalf's mentor, the 
sorcerer Saruman (Christopher Lee).

Review: In a sense, I'm lucky when it comes to watching "The Fellowship Of 
The Ring", the first of a trio of films enacting JRR Tolkien's immortal 
"The Lord Of The Rings". I first read the book when I was eleven years old 
-- a decade and a half ago -- so although I'm familiar with the source 
material, the details are sketchy enough that watching it unfold onscreen 
still bore suspense for me. I'm sure I would have been entranced with 
"Fellowship" even had I read the text yesterday; this way, I truly became 
absorbed into one of the most breathtaking cinematic experiences ever.

Jackson faced many difficulties in translating the book to film. Most 
notably, Tolkien's novel is largely grounded in his development of the 
history and culture of Middle-Earth, impossible to directly portray in a 
movie. Add to this the sheer number of characters and plot points, and 
"Fellowship" could easily have become a horrendous mess, even with a 
three-hour running time. But Jackson has found the perfect middle ground: 
the changes he has made are reasonable and inoffensive, and enough of the 
spirit of Tolkien's work is preserved while nonetheless crafting something 
very much suited to the medium of film.

Even if this movie version barely scratches the surface of Tolkien's 
detailed world, it is still apparent in the details. And not just the 
stirring set pieces, such as the glimpse back in time to when the Ring was 
first lost, or the sequence where the Fellowship passes two mammoth 
statues of ancient kings standing on the banks of a river. Rather, the 
history of Middle-Earth is deliciously hinted at in Grant Major's stunning 
sets and Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor's glorious costume design. 
Consider, for example, a scene late in the film when the Fellowship has 
camped in a woods; all around them are fallen statues, centuries old, 
silent testament to the existence of Middle-Earth long before the opening 
credits rolled.

Unlike the novel, it is the visuals which are the movie version's chief 
attraction. Jackson and cinematographer Andrew Lesnie have done a 
phenomenal job of transforming New Zealand into something fantastical and 
yet very real. More so than the two subsequent installments, "Fellowship" 
is very much a travelogue across the vastness of Middle-Earth, and the 
film reflects this. We experience the pastoral serenity of the Hobbits' 
Shire, the stark wintry majesty of the Misty Mountains, the dark and 
oppressive stillness of the Mines of Moria, each sight more riveting than 
the last. Jackson succeeds in demonstrating why "The Lord Of The Rings" is 
the quest to end all quests, why this novel was the progenitor not just of 
many imitators, but essentially of an entire genre.

Some Tolkien purists may be upset by some of the changes between book and 
movie; I am not amongst them. Most simply shape the story into something 
more suitable for a film: whereas the book takes place over months and 
unfurls at an almost leisurely pace, there is a real sense of urgency in 
the movie version, which seems to occupy a much smaller timeframe. Other 
changes are more debatable, but are justifiable. One criticism often 
levied at the novel, for instance, is its paucity of prominent females; 
Jackson redresses the balance somewhat by expanding the role of the Elf 
Arwen (Liv Tyler) -- significant only in a small portion of the third book 
-- using her in place of another minor character and thereby involving her 
in more of the action.

Some of Jackson's interpretations do not seem quite right to me: the 
Elven land of Lothlorien and its queen, Galadriel (Cate Blanchett), 
appeared far more alien and remote than I expected. But he also makes the 
threat of the Ring much more apparent by introducing a physical 
manifestation in Bilbo which is truly frightening. And Jackson makes far 
more use of (very appropriate) humour than did Tolkien. In a movie so 
lengthy, this is most welcome to provide some diversity.

Other Jackson triumphs include the terrifying manifestation of the 
Ringwraiths (who long haunted my nightmares when I first read the book) 
and the eerie portrayal of the Ring's magic. Wisely, Jackson does not 
overplay the special effects except when it is absolutely necessary; 
dizzying shots of huge armies of Men and Orks, for example, feel 
completely genuine.

The acting is fine across the board. Wood is excellent as the brave, 
timid, isolated Frodo. McKellen is superb as a man who is at once a genial 
old trickster and a frightening being of enormous power. Also noteworthy 
is Holm, who portrays Bilbo with just the right amount of eagerness, 
weariness and uncertainty.

"The Lord Of The Rings" is one of the greatest, most imaginative novels 
ever written. With its enormous scope and unparalleled attention to 
detail, few thought it could ever be successfully translated into film. 
Peter Jackson is one-third of the way to proving those critics wrong: one 
of history's best novels is now one of its best movies.

Copyright © 2001 Shannon Patrick Sullivan.
Archived at The Popcorn Gallery,
  http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/movies.html

  |     Shannon Patrick Sullivan    |         [email-masked]          |       
  +---------------------------------+---------------------------------+
/  Doctor Who: A Brief History of Time (Travel)   go.to/drwho-history  \
\__ We are all in the gutter but some of us are looking at the stars __/

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 30550
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 274589
X-RT-TitleID: 1108476
X-RT-SourceID: 886
X-RT-AuthorID: 1699
X-RT-RatingText: 4/4