Subject: RETROSPECTIVE: LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1986)

From: [email-masked] (Ram Samudrala)
Date: 9 Dec 1996 21:06:47 GMT

LITTLE SHOP OF HORRORS (1986)
                       A film review by Ram Samudrala
                        Copyright 1996 Ram Samudrala

/Little Shop of Horrors/ is a musical comedy about a flower shop
employee, Seymour Krelborn (Rich Moranis), and his new found plant,
named Audrey II (voice by Levi Stubbs).  Like a Harlan Ellison
creation, Audrey II is deceptively appealing to the people passing by,
but behind that appeal lies a deadly intent: world domination.

It all starts during a total eclipse of the sun, where Seymour buys
the plant from outer space at a nursery.  Immmediately after that,
life at the flower shop where he works, becomes immediately exciting.
First, customers who had been walking by ignoring the business start
arriving in droves.  Then, with the help of Audrey II's desire for
human flesh, Seymour manages to eliminate the competition for Audrey
I's affection: a motorcycle-riding fear-inspiring rough 'n' tough
dentist (Steve Martin).  When the proprietor gets in Seymour's way,
Audrey II finishes him as well.  But when Audrey II's lips seek Audrey
I, and when a marketing agent presents the opportunity of having a
plant like Audrey II in every home on the planet, Seymour realises
that Audrey II has gone too far, leading to a climatic showdown
between Seymour and Audrey II.

Both Moranis and Martin put on some sterling performances.  The main
problem I had with the movie was the appearance by Bill Murray as
Denton.  While there was a lot of humour in his appearance, I thought
it just didn't fit in.  The music has its moments, with some powerful
performances by Audrey II and the trio of narrators.  Definitely worth
renting.

[email-masked]  ||  http://www.ram.org  ||  http://www.twisted-helices.com/th
               Movie ram-blings: http://www.ram.org/ramblings/movies.html