Subject: Review: JASON X (2001)

From: Steve Rhodes <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 17:37:06 -0000

JASON X
A film review by Steve Rhodes
Copyright 2002 Steve Rhodes
RATING (0 TO ****):  **

Go into James Isaac's JASON X with very low expectations, as I did, and you
might just find that you end up like it.  The technique didn't work for me, but
it's always worth a try.

JASON X, the tenth in the FRIDAY THE 13TH series, is set way off in the future
-- 2455 to be precise.  It is a time of peace and prosperity on earth with
people spending all their waking hours engaged in artistic and humanistic
pursuits.  Kidding, of course.  Screenwriters' visions of the future usually
vary only in the degree of the destruction that humans have inflicted on the
planet and each other.  This time Earth is so uninhabitable that the action is
set on a spaceship.

In what could be titled JASON GOES SCI-FI, the movie tells yet another tale
about Jason Voorhees (Kane Hodder), who, after having been frozen back at the
turn of the millennium, is being defrosted.  

The college age scientists on board the ship are all horny hunks or brainless
brunettes, except for one token blonde bimbo.  The best and funniest character
is a female android named Kay-Em 14 (Lisa Ryder), who is a cross between
Sigourney Weaver and an inflatable sex toy.  Her best scene comes when her
master tries to help her be just like a real woman.  The only problem is that
her nipples keep falling off.  He assures her that he loves her just the way she
is.

Most of the movie -- surprise -- consists of Jason slicing and dicing the crew
as gorily as possible.  The crew, given their level of stupidity, probably
deserves their fate.  When it's clear that their bullets won't kill Jason, their
solution is just to fire more.  (Why do science fiction movies figure that guns
in the future will be almost exactly like today's machine guns, only bigger? 
Don't they think weapons will advance in four centuries?)  And when the crew
goes after an unstoppable killer like Jason, why do they split up so that he can
more easily kill them off one or two at a time?

With its kind of enjoyable, high volume techno-organ funeral music and its
little bits of humor, I've got to admit it.  It could have been worse.

JASON X runs 1:33.  It is rated R for "strong horror violence, language and some
sexuality" and would be acceptable for older teenagers.

The film opens nationwide in the United States on Friday, April 26, 2002.  In
the Silicon Valley, it will be showing at the AMC and the Century theaters.

Web: http://www.InternetReviews.com
Email: [email-masked]

***********************************************************************

Want free reviews and weekly movie and video recommendations via Email? 
Just send me a letter with the word "subscribe" in the subject line.

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 31662
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 309416
X-RT-TitleID: 1113860
X-RT-SourceID: 703
X-RT-AuthorID: 1271
X-RT-RatingText: 2/4