Subject: REVIEW: INDEPENDENCE DAY (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Chad Polenz)
Date: 20 May 1997 01:12:59 GMT

INDEPENDENCE DAY
                       A film review by Chad Polenz
                        Copyright 1997 Chad Polenz

**** (out of 4 = excellent)
1996, PG-13, 145 minutes [2 hours, 25 minutes]
[science fiction]
starring: Bill Pullman (President Thomas Whitmore), Will Smith (Captain Steve
Hiller), Jeff Goldblum (David Levinson), Margaret Coplin (Connie), produced
by Dean Devlin, written by Dean Devlin, Roland Emmerich, directed by Roland
Emmerich.

Wow! I am so blown away by this film I am nearly speechless. Rarely does a
film come along that is such a good mix of excellent storytelling, suspense
and adventure, and is able to synchronize it as well as this film does.
The story starts out with scientists realizing something huge is nearing the
moon and is giving off a radio code that is reducing itself as it constantly
recycles - a definite warning of some type. It gets closer until they realize
that it is actually a group of huge UFOs approaching the Earth's atmosphere.
The sense of intense excitement builds very quickly, as we are wondering who
these aliens are and why they are here.
Soon the ships enter the atmosphere, and mass hysteria ensues. President
Thomas Whitmore (Pullman) addresses the country and tries to calm everyone
down, but doesn't advocate evacution, and even stays in the White House with
a UFO right above it. 
One of the scientists who first discovered the secret alien code (Jeff
Goldblum as David Levinson) has an ex-wife (Margaret Coplin as Connie) who is
an assistant to the president and is able to meet with him and warn him of
the countdown. We get quite a cliche escape scene and many terrifying
devastation scenes, but the suspense, combined with the excellent special
effects are so incredible it is breathtaking. Just the act of trying to
describe these actions does not do the film justice at all, it is much more
complicated and detailed. It really must be seen to be appreciated.
In the wake of the total carnage there is a fantastic aerial battle between
U.S. Marine F-18 Tomcats and alien ships, perhaps one of the most exciting
scenes I have ever viewed. Just consider the situation: our own military up
against aliens from another planet - how cool is that? Maybe that sounds like
something from an Ed Wood movie, but if there was ever an exception to the
rules "Independence Day" is it. We fight back, but do not win (at first). 
Will Smith deserves special mention as Captain Steve Hiller; his character
is quite hyper and yet he is always able to keep his cool and make for one of
the most likable characters to come along in a long time. When he is anxious
to "Whoop E.T.'s ass" we know exactly how he feels.
When the president and most of the main characters meet at the secret Area
51 military base they realize the CIA had captured an alien ship 50 years ago
and has learned much about their anatomy and technology. This element might
seem a little too convient, even the mad scientist character (played by Brent
Spiner with just the right touch of comic relief) seems a little out of
place. But the movie doesn't really try to put itself forward as the most
realistic film ever made, it just wants us to have fun watching it, and I
sure did.
The final act is a very fast-paced, last ditch effort at fighting back. It
seems as if the world is about to be obliterated, but suddenly a loophole is
found. It's a very dangerous risk that the entire world is about to embark
upon, but they really have nothing to lose, and great risk (when done
properly) equals great suspense which equals great victory, which we do get
here, not once, but twice (actually, you might even say three times).
"Independence Day" is an either love-it or hate-it movie. You could
scrutinize every little detail and unrealistic point but that would be a
waste of time. We tend to take our movies too seriously today, so if we just
leave our cynicism behind and use our imagination we'll experience something
so fantastic that words will not be able to describe it.