Subject: Review: Gattaca (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Alex Fung)
Date: 19 Oct 1997 19:00:25 GMT

GATTACA (Columbia - 1997)
Starring Ethan Hawke, Uma Thurman, Jude Law, Gore Vidal, Alan Arkin,
  Loren Dean
Screenplay by Andrew Nicol
Produced by Danny DeVito, Michael Shamberg, Stacey Sher
Directed by Andrew Nicol
Running time: 112 minutes

                  ***1/2 (out of four stars)
                     Alternate Rating: A-

Note: Some may consider portions of the following text to be spoilers.
      Be forewarned. 

    -------------------------------------------------------------

   Nobody in Hollywood could have been more pleased with the scientific
   breakthrough announced earlier this year that British researchers had
   performed the first successful cloning of a live sheep than those at
   Sony Pictures associated with the GATTACA project.  In terms of
   timing, such news couldn't have been more perfectly orchestrated,
   bringing to the forefront of public awareness the increasing
   sophistication in the science of genetic research over the past
   decade.  When one combines this with the rampant paranoia and
   mistrust of the government pervasive in popular culture -- the number
   of conspiracy-oriented books lining shelves in stores and the success
   of similarly-themed TV show THE X-FILES is indication enough -- it's
   the perfect climate for the release of a film like GATTACA, which
   profiles a dystopic world of the future where one's DNA is the most
   crucial and valuable commodity.

   Yet, like most great science-fiction, the strength of GATTACA is that
   the film really isn't exclusively a science-fiction film -- at its
   core, it's a very human and often poignant story which deals with the
   themes of potential, spirit and identity.  There's no heavy reliance
   on showy visual effects or displays of stunning future technology, as
   is typical in most sci-fi films; GATTACA is essentially a
   character-oriented drama spun off from a dynamite premise.

   It's the not-too-distance future, and scientific advancements have
   reached an advanced state where genetic tinkering allows the rich to
   create offspring literally devoid of any imperfection. Society has
   been divided into two distinct classes, where success is determined
   by science: the genetically-engineered 'Valids', and the
   naturally-conceived 'In-Valids' who are limited by society due to
   their imperfect DNA structures to serve as working drones.  It's a
   world where prosperity is predetermined at birth; the Valids have the
   world at their feet -- an infinite realm of possibilities to pursue
   -- while the In-Valids have nary a reason to hope.  So what's Vincent
   Freeman (Ethan Hawke), an In-Valid with nearsightedness, emotional
   volatility and a congenital heart condition, to do?  Burdened his
   whole life by living in the shadow of his Valid brother Anton (Loren
   Dean), and by his seemingly-unfulfillable ambition to become an
   aeronautics navigator for the elite Gattaca Aerospace Corporation,
   he's left toiling as a maintenance worker, eyes aimed upwards at the
   stars.

   Of course, Vincent is not content to passively accept his fate, and
   GATTACA, then, is essentially an Underdog Film -- a familiar One Man
   Against Society story.  On that level it works well, but where the
   film truly flourishes is when it focuses upon Vincent's indomitable
   determination to surpass expectations and push himself to the
   boundaries of physical limitation in order to attain his dream,
   against all forms of adversity.  His relentless drive to succeed in a
   near-suicidal, virtually hopeless piece of subterfuge is powerfully
   affecting.  Aided immeasurably by Michael Nyman's stirring score --
   to date, the best score I've heard this year -- it's a genuinely
   moving celebration of the human spirit, while avoiding the trappings
   of becoming schmaltzy or sentimental.

   In fact, New Zealander screenwriter-director Andrew Nicol's feature
   debut is such an auspicious piece of work that it's mildly
   disheartening that the film delves into a generic thriller subplot,
   dealing with a murder mystery on the grounds of the Gattaca Aerospace
   Corporation.  While this successfully taps into paranoiac elements --
   given that Vincent's true identity can be traced through any form of
   DNA residue left, it's entrancing to observe his ritualistic grooming
   each morning to attempt to mask his true identity, and fascinating to
   watch him attempt to cover his tracks by stealthily vacuuming his
   desk and leaving decoy DNA samples (it reminded me in a sense to the
   great moment in WAIT UNTIL DARK where Alan Arkin's Harry Roat Jr.
   markedly pointed out that he hadn't *touched* anything in Susie's
   apartment) -- it also leaves gaping holes in logic which push
   credibility beyond the bounds of belief; consider, if you will, wily
   Detective Hugo (the aforementioned Mr. Arkin) unable to match a
   completely undisguised Vincent against a clearly-identical headshot
   image -- perhaps *Hugo* is nearsighted too.  The murder mystery
   flounders, adding very little to enhance GATTACA and distracts from
   the film's primary theme, but it doesn't sink it.

   Another vaguely ineffective subplot in GATTACA involves fellow
   Gattaca Aerospace Corporation trainee Irene, a genetically perfect
   woman (Uma Thurman - 'nuff said) who provides an interesting
   counterpoint to Vincent in terms of their approaches to adversity,
   but generally serves merely a decorative role in the film.

   Among its arsenal of strengths (crisp, sharp visuals by
   cinematographer Slawomir Idziak; wonderful costumes by the legendary
   Colleen Atwood), GATTACA benefits from superb casting.  Mr. Hawke is
   very solid and sympathetic as the undaunted protagonist and
   demonstrates that he can carry the film, while Ms. Thurman makes what
   she can out of her smallish role.  And who else would one cast as the
   authority figure in the enormous future techno-bureaucracy of the
   Gattaca Aerospace Corporation other than Gore Vidal?

   The standout performance in the film, however, belongs to Jude Law.
   His performance of the crippled Valid unable to fulfill his
   predestined greatness, Jerome Morrow, is a remarkable combination of
   pathos, wit, and quiet resilience and strength, and his subtle
   blurring of the lines of identity between himself and Vincent is
   interesting.  The strange, symbiotic relationship between Jerome and
   Vincent is fascinating and compelling, and Mr. Law and Mr. Hawke play
   well off one another.

   While Jan Roelfs' top-notch production design assists in creating a
   dystopic and conformist world, the ultimate credit must go to Mr.
   Nicol.  His screenplay is intelligent, thoughtful, and well-written,
   and his direction is most accomplished.  The impressive GATTACA marks
   a science-fiction film which eschews effects and explosions in favour
   of a more fundamentally human story, and succeeds wonderfully.  While
   the world depicted in the film is cool, distance, and impersonal, at
   the heart of the picture is real warmth.

          - Alex Fung
          email: [email-masked]
          web  : http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aw220/

--
Alex Fung ([email-masked]) | http://www.ncf.carleton.ca/~aw220/
"The separate forms of social behaviour that we associate with film and
 television are also starting to break down..." - Jonathan Rosenbaum, 1979