Subject: Review: Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within (2001)

From: Dustin Putman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 03:12:18 -0000

Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within     * * * 1/2 (out of * * * * )

Directed by Hironobu Sakaguchi.
Voices: Ming-Na, Alec Baldwin, Donald Sutherland, James Woods, Peri Gilpin,
Steve Buscemi, Ving Rhames, Keith David.
2001 - 106 minutes
Rated PG-13 (for violence and brief profanity).
Reviewed by Dustin Putman, July 11, 2001.

Taking its title from the enormously popular video game series, Hironobu
Sakaguchi's "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" is a landmark achievement in
CG animation. With a full cast of human characters entirely evolved from
computers, it is the most impressively detailed and life-like animation to
have graced the silver screen--ever. Pretty images, however, do not a great
movie make, so it is with much relief and elation to say that "Final Fantasy"
has an--at once--somber, original, thrilling, and thought-provoking story
with messages that dig far deeper than the usual sci-fi/action film.

Set in the year 2065, Earth has been taken over by threatening, transparent
aliens who suck the spirit out of any living thing that they can get their
hands on. In order to save the fate of mankind, Dr. Aki Ross (voiced by
Ming-Na) and her trusting mentor, Dr. Sid (Donald Sutherland), must find the
last eight remaining spirits that have not been taken away by the so-called
"phantoms," which hold the key to salvation. Aiding in their journey is buff
nice-guy Gray Edwards (Alec Baldwin), whom Aki finds herself taking a liking
to. Standing in their way every step, General Hein (James Woods), who lost
his family to the creatures, has vowed to take out the aliens by his own
radical means.

Ambitiously written by Al Reiner (1995's "Apollo 13") and Jeff Vintar, "Final
Fantasy: The Spirits Within" defies all expectations and then surpasses them,
both in its historical leap in computer-generated animation, and its
beautiful, multi-layered story that thoughtfully touches upon such subjects
as life, death, human compassion, and faith. From the characters' skin pores,
to their nearly flawless movements, to their gently blowing hair strands,
people have never before looked quite so--well--genuine. Although it is still
fairly clear that they are animated figures, sometimes it isn't so apparent,
and this is when the CG creators' work really shines. Furthermore, the
ruinous backdrops from which the action takes place is astonishingly
naturalistic and awesome to look at.

The plot threads are every bit the animation's equal. While "Final Fantasy"
could have been marred in futuristic nonsense and non-stop alien attacks,
director Hironobu Sakaguchi's aims are significantly higher, both in scope
and substance. The action sequences involving the phantoms seeking out the
spirits of the characters are exciting and well-photographed, but the
quieter, more subtle moments are what lifts the motion picture above being
conventional. One such scene, in which Aki and Gray turn to each other in an
instantaneous embrace as they mourn the tragic deaths of their crew members,
is heartbreakingly powerful filmmaking that transcends the limits, up until
this point, of modern animated movies. With a story that is infinitely more
mature than most, and characters with a deep sense of humanity, it was easy
to grow to care about them as if they really were living and breathing actors.

The voice work is distinctive and universally strong. Ming-Na strikes all the
right notes as the determined Dr. Aki Ross, who is, perhaps, the most
memorable sci-fi heroine since Sigourney Weaver in 1979's "Alien" and its
sequels. Alec Baldwin holds up his end of the bargain in the other lead role,
as Gray Edwards, a dead-ringer for Ben Affleck. The burgeoning relationship
that forms between Aki and Gray is an involving, sweet one that doesn't feel
forced or tacked-on. Rounding out the notable voice cast is Donald
Sutherland; James Woods, whose villain role turns out to have an
understandable motive and, at the very least, a trace of heart; and Ving
Rhames, Peri Gilpin, and Steve Buscemi as the remaining members of Dr. Aki
Ross' hard-working crew.

At a time when practically every week holds some sort of step forward in
modern visual effects, "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" currently stands
as one of the great artistic achievements in film history. A gorgeous,
surprisingly meditative look at the beauty of life and the mysteries of
death, the film is definitely not standard animated fare. It has the ability
to inspire, contemplate, and most important of all, make you care.

   - Copyright 2001 by Dustin Putman
     http://us.imdb.com/ReviewsBy?Dustin+Putman
     http://www.atnzone.com

* Coming Soon - My New Movie Review Website,
www.themovieboy.com!!! *

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 28813
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 236354
X-RT-TitleID: 1108683
X-RT-SourceID: 26
X-RT-AuthorID: 1388
X-RT-RatingText: 3.5/4