Subject: Review: Event Horizon (1997)

From: [email-masked] (Jeff Walters)
Date: 13 May 1998 03:59:09 GMT

**Event Horizon**
Reviewed by Jeff Walters

      Man, this was one wierd movie. Similar to Conspiracy Theory in
that it couldn't decide which genre it is. The first hour is your
standard stock Aliens clone, which nicely created an eerie atmosphere
about the ship. The last half hour? This was when the makers blew the
script out the airlock and just decided - "Screw it, let's just kill
everybody". From then on - forget Sci-Fi...this movie becomes 100%
horror.

           What really dissappointed me about this movie was that it
tried to scare you in entirely the wrong way. Instead of using
clever tricks or trying to build up to a scare - this movie just uses
loud noises, sudden camera shifts and short quick bursts of
gore.....yawn....everyone's seen it all before and knows when to
expect it. The one thing that was done well was the lead up to
finding out about what happened to the previous crew. There are
skeletons lying around mangled and mashed, but what did this?
Then finally after being painfully restored - the new crew views the
video.

         The acting isn't too bad at all.....considering what the
actors had to work with anyway, as there is no complex or interesting
dialogue to speak of. There was some very nice camerawork in certain
sequences though, like when the hull near the bridge of the Event
Horizon is breached and the camera pans back to follow specific
objects as they bounce across the deck and are sucked out into space.

      This movie could have been so much better. It had a good
experienced cast who deserved more to work with. There was just
nothing new here that any of us haven't seen before in Aliens or
Hellraiser. 

2 stars out of 5