Subject: Retrospective: Dragonheart (1996)

From: Dragan Antulov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 21:47:34 -0000

DRAGONHEART (1996)

A Film Review 
Copyright Dragan Antulov 2003

All those who compare titles in American bookstores with the titles 
in American cinema theatres are going to notice an interesting 
phenomenon. Fantasy books are more popular than their science 
fiction counterparts, while it is quite the opposite in Hollywood - 
fantasy films are very rare compared with the multitude of science 
fiction titles. On one hand, it is somewhat easy to explain that 
phenomenon with financial reasons - while science fiction film might 
require single man dressed in alien suit, strange worlds of European 
mythical past put huge demand for exotic costumes and production 
design. On the other hand, fantasy films are not likely to provide 
escapist entertainment matched by fantasy books and their epic 
scope, world-building and Byzantine plots that fill tens of thousands 
of pages. Fantasy films, therefore, almost always looks like inferior to 
their literary counterpars, and DRAGONHEART, 1996 spectacle 
directed by Rob Cohen, is one of such examples.

The plot takes place in unnamed European country at the end of 10th 
Century AD. Protagonist of the film is Bowen (played by Dennis 
Quaid), knight that teaches ideals of chivalry young prince Einon 
(played by Lee Oakes). Tutoring is interrupted by peasant revolt that 
leaves Einon's father dead and young prince mortally wounded. 
Boy's mother, Queen Aislinn (played by Julie Christie), is desperate 
enough to seek help from the dragon Draco (voice by Sean Connery), 
the protector of her ancient Celtic ancestors. Draco heals the boy by 
giving him half of his heart. Boy grows up to become evil and 
tyrannical King Einon (played by David Thewliss) and disgusted 
Bowen blames the dragon for such transformation. Bowen decides to 
track down and slay every dragon he could find. But meeting with 
Draco, who happens to be the last of its kind, would create strange 
alliance between the dragon and the dragonslayer. This alliance is 
joined by Kara (played by Dina Meyer), peasant woman who wants 
to lead another revolt against the tyrant.

The script of DRAGONHEART clearly shows all the difficulties 
associated with creating credible or interesting fantasy world or 
creating a good fantasy plot. Charles Edward Pogue's screenplay is 
torn between the desire to have the texture of fantasy novels and the 
filmmakers' demands for simplicity. The compromise is unfortunate 
one - characters and their motivations aren't developed enough, and 
some of characters are nothing more than cliches (including "comic 
relief" played by Pete Posthlethwaite). However, Rob Cohen directs 
this film with great confidence, aided with good Slovakian scenery, 
impressive special effects and, last but not least, Sean Connery in one 
of his more unusual incarnations (dragon that even took physical 
mannerisms of a Scottish movie icon). There is enough action and 
humour for audience to be entertained for most of movie's running 
time. DRAGONHEART is not very good film, but despite all of its 
shortcomings, it proves that fantasy and Hollywood entertainment 
might go hand in hand.  

RATING: 5/10 (++)

Review written on March 23rd 2003

Dragan Antulov a.k.a. Drax
http://film.purger.com - Filmske recenzije na hrvatskom/Movie Reviews in
Croatian
http://www.purger.com/users/drax/reviews.htm - Movie Reviews in English
http://www.ofcs.org - Online Film Critics Society

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 34432
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 1121171
X-RT-TitleID: 1071583
X-RT-AuthorID: 1307
X-RT-RatingText: 5/10