Subject: REVIEW: DRAGONHEART (1996)

From: [email-masked] (James Berardinelli)
Date: 4 Jun 1996 13:07:23 GMT

DRAGONHEART
                       A film review by James Berardinelli
                        Copyright 1996 James Berardinelli

RATING (0 TO 10): 5.0
Alternative Scale: ** out of ****

United States, 1996
U.S. Release Date: 5/31/96 (wide)
Running Length: 1:43
MPAA Classification: PG-13 (Violence, mature themes)
Theatrical Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Cast: Dennis Quaid, David Thewlis, Dina Meyer, Pete Postlewaite, 
      Julie Christie, voice of Sean Connery
Director: Rob Cohen
Producer: Raffaella De Laurentiis
Screenplay: Charles Edward Pogue
Cinematography: David Eggby
Music: Randy Edelman
U.S. Distributor: Universal Pictures

     In the early summer sweepstakes, Warner Brothers has weighed in 
with TWISTER, Paramount with MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, and now Universal with 
DRAGONHEART, director Rob Cohen's swords-and-sorcery saga.  No prizes 
for guessing which is most likely to be the also-ran.  DRAGONHEART, 
which not only has the kiss-of-death of a De Laurentiis being listed in 
the credits (Raffaella is the producer), is a remarkable example of how 
not to fashion a solid adventure story.  Crowds craving excitement will 
be irritated by the numerous lulls; those hoping for something of 
substance will feel cheated.  

     Why is it so difficult to make a good fantasy motion picture?  It's 
possible to count on one hand the number of passable efforts.  Most 
fantasy movies, including George Lucas' WILLOW, the CONAN twosome, and 
last year's Arthurian FIRST KNIGHT, vary from mediocre to virtually 
unwatchable.  Fantasy is undoubtedly a rich and popular genre, but it 
apparently doesn't translate effectively to the fast-paced, visual 
medium of film.  Even with ILM providing nearly-flawless special 
effects, DRAGONHEART lacks a much-needed spark.  It's obvious and 
plodding, and only occasionally impressive.

     One distinction this movie can claim is that it's almost certainly 
the most unusual buddy movie of the year (KAZAAM not excepted).  We're 
not talking about two mismatched cops, self-destructive lovers, or 
oddball losers.  Instead, there's a beefy warrior-type and his new best 
friend, Draco, who just happens to be a gargantuan, fire-breathing 
lizard.  You know, the kind J.R.R. Tolkien wrote about that are featured 
prominently in the cult game DUNGEONS AND DRAGONS.  In this case, the 
scaly beast with the house-wide wing span and man-sized teeth not only 
belches flames, but is quite talkative (not to mention philosophical) -- 
even if his voice does sound exactly like that of actor Sean Connery.

     This isn't the first major screen appearance of a live-action 
dragon.  And, although the beast is a lot more impressive here than the 
one featured in 1981's DRAGONSLAYER, not even the thrill of a dragon 
attack can save this film.  Part of the problem is that Draco, despite 
looking imposing, is anything but that.  With Connery lending his voice, 
we immediately think of him as a helpful, friendly creature, and Draco's 
affability makes it impossible for us to be in awe.  In the end, he's 
just Dennis Quaid's computer-generated sidekick.

     Quaid, playing a knight wandering the earth in the late tenth 
century, gives the film's most credible performance.  He's believable as 
the once-valorous warrior, Bowen, who, as the result of a series of 
bitter disillusionments, has turned to mercenary means to earn a living 
-- he'll kill any dragon for a bag of gold.  Too bad that the character 
is so flatly-written.  The same gripe goes for his romantic interest, a 
young peasant girl named Kara (Dina Meyer), who's trying to incite a 
rebellion against the nobles.  With her obvious, twentieth-century 
American accent, Meyer makes Kara a living anachronism.  Bowen's chief 
nemesis is the evil king, Einon (David Thewlis), a former pupil.  
Thewlis (NAKED) is an accomplished actor, but his unimposing villain 
comes across as a pale imitation of Tim Roth's ROB ROY bad guy.  Pete 
Postlewaite (Oscar-nominated for IN THE NAME OF THE FATHER) portrays a 
roving poet/monk who hooks up with Bowen, and Julie Christie has a small 
role as Einon's long-suffering mother.

     About the only thing rousing in DRAGONHEART is Randy Edelman's 
bombastic score.  While the dragon has a fair amount of screen time, the 
spectacle soon wears off, and the script lacks the necessary vitality to 
keep us riveted.  DRAGONHEART boasts a few worthwhile moments, like the 
image of a rearing Draco silhouetted against the setting sun or the 
standoff between man and beast with Bowen inside the dragon's maw, but 
there aren't enough of these.  

     In appearance, DRAGONHEART bears a resemblance to BRAVEHEART -- 
there are the same kind of dirty peasants, thatched cottages, and walled 
castles.  Unfortunately, the similarities don't extend to the battle 
sequences.  Scenes of Bowen and Einon crossing swords generate little or 
no tension, and the clash of their respective armies isn't any better.  
While BRAVEHEART kept us on the edge of our seats, there are times when 
DRAGONHEART has us wishing we could crawl under them.

- James Berardinelli
e-mail: [email-masked]
ReelViews web site: http://www.cybernex.net/~berardin