Subject: REVIEW: DRAGONHEART (1996)

From: [email-masked] (Larry Mcgillicuddy)
Date: 14 Jul 1996 14:52:29 GMT

DRAGONHEART
                       A film review by Larry McGillicuddy
                        Copyright 1996 Larry McGillicuddy

*** (out of 4)                                
Directed by Rob Cohen                                              
Starring Dennis Quaid, Sean Connery, Dina Meyer, Pete           
Posthlewaite, Industrial Light and Magic.                   

Review- A movie named Eddie starring Whoopi Goldberg opened 
on the same weekend as Dragonheart. I didn't like it. I felt
the movie took itself way too seriously. Well Dragonheart   
succeeds where Eddie failed. This medieval story of knights 
and dragons is hopelessly silly at times, but thats part of 
the fun.                                                    
                                                            
Quaid stars as a man who has taken up the proffesion of     
dragonslayer after he feels he is betrayed by a dragon early
in the movie. He runs into the last dragon in existence, and
there is a genuinely amusing battle between the two which   
results in a standoff where Quaid is in the dragons mouth,  
but has his sword pointed at the dragons brain. Eventually, 
they decide to call a truce, and they work out a deal. Since
he is the last dragon, he will pretend to die and Quaid will
be able to get paid for it.                                 
                                                            
Their scam works at first, until they come to a town without
any money. Instead the town sacrifices a girl to the dragon,
but of course, Draco is a nice droagon, so he won't eat     
her.There is however a very amusing scene where Draco is    
hitting on the young girl.                                  
                                                            
Of course, as you can probably tell by the plot, this is a  
silly movie, but it does know when to take itself seriously 
at the right times, unlike Eddie, which was serious all the 
time. You could probably call this a medieval comedy,       
because there are more laughs here than in Eddie and Spy    
Hard combined. Dennis Quaid makes a fine hero. Pete         
Posthlewaite provides some ghreat comedy as a monk who      
journeys with them. Dina Meyer is appealing as the          
sacrificed girl. But lets face it, the movie is really about
the dragon, and what an amazing creation he is. Connery's   
voice and ILM team up to provide us with a truly magnificent
dragon. So, if you are going to see this movie for a strong 
hard core medieval epic, you are going to the wrong movie.  
If you are going because of the dragon, you will not be     
dissapointed, and you will be provided with plenty of laughs
that smooth out the boring parts in the script.