Subject: Retrospective: Brazil (1985)

From: Brian Matherly <[email-masked]>
Date: 20 Aug 2000 18:46:01 GMT

Brazil (1985)
Rating: 5.0 stars out of 5.0 stars

See this review as it was intended at: http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/

Cast: Jonathan Pryce, Kim Griest, Bob Hoskins, Robert DeNiro, Ian Holm,
Katherine Helmond, Michael Palin 
Written by: Terry Gilliam, Tom Stoppard and Charles McKeown 
Directed by: Terry Gilliam 
Running Time: 142 minutes 

One of the most talked about films of the 80's, Brazil is one of the
most stunning (but also the most bleak) films ever to be produced.  Part
of the trilogy of science fiction genre films (including Legend and
Dune) which were torn apart, re-edited, and rescored by then Universal
head honcho Sid Sheinberg, Terry Gilliam's piece de resistance has
garnered the largest amount of press.  This is due mostly to Gilliam's
determination to have the film restored to its original version and his
willingness to discuss the situation to anyone who will listen.  Gilliam
also had a full page ad taken out in Variety magazine after the film was
released asking Sheinberg when he was going to release his complete
edit.  It has taken almost twelve years, but Gilliam's final cut has
finally been released on both laserdisc and DVD.

In an eerily ironic twist, the film's incredible narrative parallels
Gilliam's battle for the proper treatment of the material.  Jonathan
Pryce is featured as an everyman that dreams of a life outside the
Metropolis-like bureaucratic hell (known as the Ministry of Information)
he is trapped in.  His life seems to turn around when he gets a
promotion within his company and literally meets the girl of his
dreams.  Everything appears to be working out until he suspects that the
girl he is in love with is a terrorist.  When he pursues her, he is
singled out as a terrorist as well and must fight the same system he
once worked for in order to restore his life.  His dreams quickly turn
to nightmares as his world comes crumbling down around him.  Despite its
futuristic setting, Brazil echoes many of the problems felt by any
modern day person who feels trapped in their current job. 

The film has been released in three different versions since it
originally appeared in 1985: the 131 minute theatrical version, the
"Love Conquers All" 94 minute TV version, and the 142 minute director's
cut.  Of the three, Gilliam's 142 minute cut is obviously the most
magnificent. I had only seen the film in its truncated 94 minute
television version prior to this recent release and had originally found
the movie hard to understand and uninvolved (a problem which is more
than solved with the director's cut).  In fact, I don't think I had ever
made it through an entire viewing of the cut film before finally seeing
Gilliam's original vision.  If I had never read any information
concerning Gilliam's wishes for the film, I may have never bothered
watching the complete version years later when it became available on
laserdisc.  I'm glad I did though, because Gilliam has constructed one
of the most incredible films I have ever seen. 

Brazil is especially remarkable on a visual level, thanks to Norman
Garwood's impressive designs.  Not only do the cities feel oppressive on
an Orwellian degree, but also every indoor set is claustrophobic enough
to lend the feeling of being trapped in a job where death is literally
the only escape from the rut.  The dream sequences are very imaginative
and grow steadily darker in tone as the film progresses until they
become the stuff of nightmares.  No film Gilliam has made before or
since has had the incredible visuals that this one contains.  Brazil is
definitely his most personal work and an obvious labor of love. 

The full director's cut special edition of Brazil was initially made
available on laserdisc and has recently made its way to DVD, both
courtesy of The Criterion Collection.  Split onto five discs for laser
and three for DVD, the Brazil special edition is one of the most
detailed box sets ever released.  The film is presented in its original
1.82:1 aspect ratio with a commentary track recorded by Gilliam, two
documentaries detailing the making of the film and fights that Gilliam
went through in order to get his film released properly, storyboards for
all of the dream sequences, production and promotional stills, and
trailers.  

The most impressive inclusion on the two sets is the "Love Conquers All"
94-minute version.  After watching the director's cut, seeing the
chopped-up version (that was originally intended for theatrical
release!) is a disturbing experience.  Gilliam's entire message is
nearly lost or severely altered thanks to the wishes of Sid Sheinberg to
have a film that ran under two hours and included a happy ending.  A
commentary track by film historian David Morgan is also included, which
details all of the changes and inclusions the editors made and how they
affect the original narrative.  For those who don't mind spending a
little more cash than they are normally used to, the Brazil special
edition is well worth the extra money. 
                            
Reviewed by Brian Matherly - [email-masked]
AOL Instant Messenger: Widescreen25
The Jacksonville Film Journal - http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/
-- 
Chuck Dowling
Editor - The Jacksonville Film Journal
http://www.jaxfilmjournal.com/