Subject: Review: Armageddon (1998)

From: [email-masked] (Pierce Dalton)
Date: 27 Feb 1999 05:47:38 GMT

ARMAGEDDON
Reviewed by Pierce Dalton
1 1/2 stars (out of 4)

 Armageddon blows.

 It a matter of speaking, or course

 The comet-disaster flick is a disaster alright.  

 Directed by Tony Scott (Top Gun), it tells the story about an asteroid the
size of Texas caught on a collision course with earth.

 And you thought that dinky little comet in Deep Impact was trouble.  Jeez.

 After a great opening, in which an American spaceship, plus the city of New
York, are completely destroyed by a comet shower, NASA detects the said
asteroid and go into a frenzy.

 They hire the world's best oil driller (Bruce Willis), and send him and his
crew up into space to fix our globel problem.  That's like sending a mouse into
a cat carrier, isn't it?

 The action in Armageddon are so over the top, nonstop, and too ludicrous for
words, I had to sigh and hit my head with my notebook a couple of times.  I was
not alone.  Plus, to see a wonderful actor like Billy Bob Thornton is a film
like Armageddon is a waste of the actor's talents.

 The film is just a reel to show off a bunch of snazzy FX shots.  The only real
reason for making this film was to somehow out-perform Deep Impact.  

 Producer Jerry Bruckheimer fails with Armageddon.

 It's my pick for one of the worst of the year.

1999 (c) Quick Flick Pix  [email-masked]