Subject: Retrospective: Armageddon (1998)

From: Jerry Saravia <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 19:21:15 -0000

ARMAGEDDON (1998)
Reviewed by Jerry Saravia
RATING: Two stars and a half 

"Armageddon" is one of the guiltiest pleasures of my reviewing career - an
obscenely loud, unnecessarily expensive, fairly exciting, often hysterical
action film about meteors crashing down on Earth, notably New York City. One
obscenely huge asteroid, the size of a small country, is about to crash down on
Earth and destroy it. Billy Bob Thornton, in the movie's best performance, is
the laconic NASA official who decides the best plan of defense is to hire...oil
drillers (!) to stop the deadly asteroid by drilling a hole through its center
and planting a nuclear bomb. Huh? Hey, it's only a movie, especially when the
oil drillers are played by Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck and the hilarious Steve
Buscemi. Oh, and there's Liv Tyler as Willis's daughter, but the less said about
her, the better. 

"Armageddon" is silly, fast-paced, overlong, junky, nonsensical moviemaking with
more cuts and fast-moving camera angles per second than ten Martin Scorsese
movies cobbled together. The idea is to give you a migraine the size of an
asteroid, not to entertain you. I admit I was entertained. Still, this type of
plotless stupidity has its limitations in an overworked genre. 

For more reviews, check out JERRY AT THE MOVIES at
http://www.geocities.com/faustus_08520/Jerry_at_the_Movies.html 

Email: [email-masked] or at [email-masked] 

==========
X-RAMR-ID: 35302
X-Language: en
X-RT-ReviewID: 1177227
X-RT-TitleID: 1083337
X-RT-SourceID: 875
X-RT-AuthorID: 1314
X-RT-RatingText: 2.5/4