Subject: Review: Armageddon (1998)

From: James Brundage <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jan 1999 07:48:08 GMT

*Armageddon*

Directed by Michael Bay

Starring: Bruce Willis, Ben Affleck, Steve Buscemi, Liv Tyler, Billy Bob
Thorton

As Reviewed by James Brundage

The last time we saw Bruce Willis in front of the camera riding the binge
trend of apocalypse movies was in 1995, with the bizarre, twisted Terry
Gilliam saga of a virus and a time travel paradox "12 Monkeys". Having just
finished it as I type these words, I think back with longing to better, more
original apocalypse films, where the disasters were not simply aliens or
rocks in the sky, as happens in this movie. However, perhaps Bruce is the
good luck charm both to apocalypse drama AND summer action films, having
worked wonders in a tricky role with "12 Monkeys" and, in my mind, bringing
a much better light onto this summers finest action film. Not to say that
any day of the week I'd rather rent 12 Monkeys than this, or watch "The
Rock" (the last GOOD action flick that Jerry Bruckheimer came out with).
Deep Impact had the drama, but got an F on the action and the comedy. And,
let's be honest, not many people actually GO to the movie for the drama.
It's really all how on the edge of the seat you are.

In Armageddon, director Michael Bay (The Rock), takes us on a thrill ride
that, in this summer (with a SERIOUS dearth of films where we can just go
out there and enjoy watching it), is actually fun. I'll be the first to
admit its brainlessness, but I'll also be the first in line for its quirky
humor (who other than Jerry Bruckheimer would cast Steve Buscemi as a serial
rapist in one movie (Con Air), and a twisted genius with a sense of humor in
the next (Quote: The Rubix Cube, easy. All of its easy… I've got a
double-doctorate from MIT at 22, you know why I do this job: cause they let
me work with explosives).), its fine thrills (both on and off the ground),
and its cute but fun characters you can't help like.

Most people try too much in the apocalypse film. Looking back (and I've seen
just about every apocalypse film this decade, and most of them from the last
one), I find only one or two that I liked all around. So few contain JUST
the right amount of drama, JUST the right amount of action, and JUST the
right amount of humor to create a film truly worth seeing.

Three come to mind, Gilliam's "12 Monkeys", Sonnenfield's "Men in Black"
(besides it being too short, it WAS a good film), and "Armageddon". No
matter what your summer priority is, see this one.

http://fly.to/criticsheaven