Subject: Review: Armageddon (1998)

From: Rob Ehrlich <[email-masked]>
Date: 10 Sep 1998 20:23:21 GMT

A Film Review by Robert Ehrlich

Directed by Michael Bay
Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, Michael Bay, Gale Anne Hurd
Written by Jonathan Hensleigh (8 other people too)

After watching Armageddon I realized that I had watched an extremely
long commercial.  A 150 minute commercial to be exact.  The director,
Michael Bay, had me interested in the beginning of the film, and I began
to think that it would be like The Rock in outer space.  But the only
thing that was pretty much the same about both films was Michael Bay's
style, Jerry Bruckheimer as producer, John Schwartzman as
Cinematographer, and Jonathan Hensleigh as the writer who wasn't
credited for The Rock.  All of these guys can't make a good film?  OH!
I'm sorry. I forgot about the other eight writers for this film.
They're the ones that had the characters say lines such as:
"It's gonna blow!" "It's gonna blow!" "It's gonna blow!" "It's gonna
blow!" "It's gonna blow!"
"It's gonna blow!" "It's gonna blow!" "It's gonna blow!" "It's gonna
blow!" "It's gonna blow!"
One "It's gonna blow!" for each writer, and one more for good luck.  If
I want to here someone say "It's gonna blow!" or see something that is
going to "blow", then I'd see a Russ Myer film.
I did "enjoy" the film, but I won't say any bad things about Michael Bay
or Jerry Bruckheimer because they are good film-makers.  I guess im so
disappointed because I was waiting since last year for this film to come
out.  Now I have to wait till late November for Bruckheimer to redeem
himself with Tony Scott's Enemy of the State.  And I'll have to wait
even longer till Bay gets another project.