Subject: Review: Armegeddon (1998)

From: [email-masked] (Joy Wyse)
Date: 10 Jul 1998 16:06:45 GMT

Review: ARMAGEDDON

Starring: 	Bruce Willis
		Liz Tyler
		Ben Afflect
		Billy Bob Thornton
		Steve Buscemi

Review by:	Joy Wyse

If you're into explosions and destruction, there's a lot  in this film. 
It's another one of those "blow up the world" movies that have been done
many times before.   Every cliche that you've ever seen is here including
the "which color  wire do I cut?" scene.  It is totally predictable.  The
familiar format makes us ask, "Which of the supporting cast members will
die?"   You know what's coming before it happens.  But, I liked it.  Most
of the people who do, are females.  Hey, I even cried, even though I
expected the finale.  But I laughed, too, at some very funny lines.

Men, on the other hand, are more technical and more skeptical.  Truly, who
WOULD risk the future of the planet to Bruce Willis and a group of oil
drillers?  Surely, some other nation  would have had an alternate plan, or
would they really  all follow the lead of the good old US?  The big
question here is: Would it be easier to train astronauts to be drillers,
or drillers to be astronauts?  Or couldn't there have been half and half?

For me, this movie was pure escapism.  No, it isn't artistic.  It isn't
well-written or well-acted.   But for what it is, a "blow 'em up" movie. 
I really liked it.  I give it a B+.  And, I would definitely watch it
again.

See you at the Movies.