Subject: Review: Armageddon (1998)

From: [email-masked] (Josh Schirmer)
Date: 20 Jul 1998 05:38:11 GMT

ARMAGEDDON
a review by Josh Schirmer
===

* * * * * out of * * * * *

My feelings about this summer (in the movie department) are quite mixed.
There are a variety of movies in theaters right now, which is always a
plus, but most of them are so awful it's ridiculous to charge $7.00 to
see them. (Isn't that always the case?) But to balance the trash, there
have been some PHENOMENAL films, such as "The X-Files", "Mulan", or the
amazing "Truman Show".

It seems to me anything tagged as a blockbuster this summer has not
lived up to it's expectations, some not even coming close. "Deep Impact"
felt like it was missing something. "Godzilla" doesn't deserve ANY
attention, not even the negative stuff it's been getting. And next up on
the list for blockbuster expectation would have to be "Armageddon".

Hyped to the point of breaking, "Armageddon" looks like the typical crap
we've been dealt already. The previews make it out to be a shallow,
stupid-looking film with only special effects to draw us in. And who
really wants to see another meteor movie already? After all, doesn't bad
publicity generally mean bad movie?

Hardly the case.

"Armageddon" brings a "Titanic"-esque feelings, where human spirit and
hope seems to swell in every scene, where the emotion portrayed pulls at
the ol' heartstrings, where you feel everything the characters do. It's
a knockout a movie, something the whole family will be able to enjoy.

Bruce Willis is perfectly cast in his role, the dry wit and toughness
delivered with genuine feeling. Ben Affleck, although not able to beat
his performance in "Good Will Hunting", is believable and enjoyable (and
an easy way to draw legions of teenage girls). Billy Bob Thorton is
always a treat. And who doesn't love Steve Buschemi? Alas, Liv Tyler's
character is a tad one-dimentional, with a part that could have easily
been played by anyone. Nevertheless, she's always delightful, and her
smile brings a certain degree of shine to the screen. And the supporting
cast is well put-together, too.

The special effects are wonderful, and the cinematography is not unlike
"The Rock", with it's twisting angles and 'cool' panning. Can anyone
else smell an Oscar nomination...?

Like I said, summer's had it's ups and downs. "Armageddon" is definitly
an "up". It's nice to see that in today's modern age, where summer films
are built on special effects and nothing but, someone took the time to
put in the one thing other movies are missing: heart.

Take the whole family. There's something for everyone. You, too, deserve
"front row tickets to the end of the world".

--Josh Schirmer
  [email-masked]