Subject: Review: Armageddon (1998)

From: [email-masked] (Fox Davidson)
Date: 5 Apr 1999 05:03:57 GMT

Armageddon
Review by Fox Davidson

  In one of the most hyped films of the past decade, Armageddon is a 
mega-bust.  A disaster flick that is a disaster on every level.  Not even 
Bruce Willis can save this expensive, incoherent, derivative mess.

  Following in the superior Deep Impact's heels, Armageddon tells the mudding 
tale of an asteroid the size of Texas on a collision course with Earth.  The 
film fails to mention how this particular hunk of space rock was detected by 
NASA, or even the inept script-hole that shows a U.S. spacecraft being 
obliterated in orbit by a comet shower, followed by the destruction of 
Manhattan. Oops.  NASA couldn't see that?  I guess when you are Billy Bob 
Thornton (playing a NASA official), you kinda wonder how such a wonderful 
actor as yourself is reduced to rubish like Armageddon.

  Willis plays Harry Stamper, "the world's best oil driller," who is called 
into action (just like it Die Hard, Mercury Rising, Die Hard 2!).  I have no 
idea why Harry, and his retarted group of drillers, are called for a job that 
if failed, would mean the end of life as we know it.  I guess it would seem 
cooler to have a bunch of dudes rescuing us from complete death and 
destruction than some smart, well-mannered scientist-cume-Amercian hero.

  The DVD of the movie is okay.  It contains a trailer, I believe a 
commentary (I was so looking forward to taking this disc out of my machine, I 
didn't notice), and some other mumbo jumbo.  The soundtrack is wide and good, 
but, like the cast, this disc is just worthless.

Film: *
Disc: **