Subject: Review: Tatja Grimm's World

From: [email-masked] (Bruce Holloway)
Date: 29 Jul 87 20:07:50 GMT

TATJA GRIMM'S WORLD [***+]
Vernor Vinge

When the publishers  of  the seven hundred year old fantasy, mythology, and
contrivance  fiction  (CF)  magazine "Fantasie" take on a mysterious, seven
foot,  red  haired  barbarian to play the part of the star of their leading
pulp  serial,  "Hrada",  they  thought  they  were getting a bit player who
they'd have to  baby  through  her  part.  But  when  she  saves the senior
editors of the floating  publishing  house  from death in the flame pits of
the Termite People by inspired acting, they realize they  have  a genius on
their hands. 

Not that that's the only clue she gave  them.  In  the  second part of this
three story collection  (previously published seperately in science fiction
magazines), Tatja Grimm rises from the newly  created  position  of science
editor to Queen  of  the  most  powerful  nation  in  the world, and in the
third, she finds her destiny... or at least meets it halfway. 

The  first  story  introduces   us  to  a  world  where  metal  is  scarce,
superstition and odd religions  abound,  and  science  is  just starting to
make a foothold. "Fantasie", the most widely distributed  magazine  in  the
world, is an ambassador  to  these varied people, and by publishing cutting
edge scientific  theories  loosely  covered  by  Contrivance Fiction, helps
spur a Scientific Revolution. 

The other two stories focus  on  Tatja,  a  super  genius  who is not above
manipulating anyone in her quest to  find  another  as intelligent as she -
in the stars. 

This book is best when it's focusing  on  the supporting characters - Tatja
is nicely  drawn  as  the  omniscient  genius,  but  she's  too absorbed by
monomania to be interesting  as  a  person.  The  climax is predictable and
slow  in  coming,  but getting there is so much fun that I  recommend  this
book. 
-- 
Bruce Holloway - Terminal Netnews Addict    {seismo,sun}!amdahl!drivax!holloway
ALBATROSS, ATARI*TROS @ Plink                                ALBATROSS @ Delphi
                                >>> HI, KARL! <<<