Subject: Robinson: Starseed

From: [email-masked] (Dani Zweig)
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 92 06:44:57 GMT

"Starseed", by Spider and Jean Robinson, is out in paperback, but don't
expect a second "Stardance".  The difference between "Starseed" and
"Stardance" is much the same as the difference between the later Callahans
books and the early ones:  It's a wallow, not a story.

Oh, there is the skeleton of a story.  A woman goes to the space habitat
where those who wish to become true space dwellers are trained; we share
a hundred pages of guided tour with her; a menace is revealed and -- as
in most of Spider Robinson's books -- is dealt with semi-miraculously.
It's not much of a plot, but it's not supposed to be.  The main point of
the book is for the authors to convey, and for the readers to wallow in,
a warm fuzzy feeling.

-----
Dani Zweig
[email-masked]

   If you're going to write, don't pretend to write down.  It's going to be the
   best you can do, and it's the fact that it's the best you can do that kills
   you! -- Dorothy Parker