Subject: REVIEW: "Starswarm", Jerry Pournelle

From: "Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor" <[email-masked]>
Date: 25 Feb 1999 13:41:18 -0500

Starswarm by Jerry Pournelle
	Review copyright Robert M. Slade, 1999

"Starswarm" is a book of juvenile science fiction.  As can be expected,
the plotting is fairly simplistic, the ending abrupt, and the
characterizations pretty much glossed over.  However, in the introduction,
Pournelle notes, and attributes to Robert Heinlein, the idea that in
juvenile fiction one can do more teaching than in adult fiction.

The book postulates an ecology based around, and run by, intelligent
entities formed of aggregate creatures.  An interesting means of
communication is proposed between individual creatures.  (It makes sense
in the case of those confined to lakes, but less so in the case of ocean
based forms of the same ... species?)  Environmentalism is a weak
subsidiary theme.  Some explanation of the complexity of ecological
interactions is given, but a number of opportunities for fuller
development are abandoned.

Most of the plot turns on the existence of an artificially intelligent
program, and on communications.  In these areas, the book is extremely
weak.

First there is data security.  The AI program has presumably been designed
by a very able computer scientist.  However, once running, it manages to
evade detection for at least ten years.  True, it is hiding in plain
sight, as it were, masquerading as a virus protection program.  (You don't
update your antiviral in more than ten years?)  Then again, having
successfully hidden for ten years, the first time anyone suspects
something is wrong, the program is identified almost instantly.  There is
a backup on Earth, but in ten years the program has not managed either to
penetrate security monitors (which it must have had access to at a fairly
high level originally) nor copied itself to other local machines for
greater protection against detection.

Ultimately the detection is made because of a single transmission, picked
out of what has to be an enormous number.  While this detection is
improbable in itself, there is no recognition of differences in bandwidth
that could have allowed the transmission to be made with almost no chance
of detection at all.

Dealing with the alien entities is also problematic.  While the entities
have been under intense scrutiny for more than ten years, a chance
observation of flashing lights not only reveals their nature, but also
provides a translation of their language, all in one go.  The aliens
themselves are phenomenally intelligent, being able to dissect an object
to the molecular level, understand its purpose, and replicate an improved
version within hours.

As everyone reading this series knows, it is unrealistic to expect
technical accuracy from fictional works, let alone juvenile fiction.
However, it seems that Pournelle's thesis is equally divorced from
reality.

%A   Jerry Pournelle
%C   175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY  10010
%D   1998
%G   0-312-86183-4
%I   Tor Books/Tom Doherty Assoc.
%O   U$23.95/C$33.95 [email-masked] www.tor.com
%P   349 p.
%T   "Starswarm"

[email-masked]  [email-masked]  [email-masked]  [email-masked]
Find virus, book info http://victoria.tc.ca/techrev/rms.htm
        Mirrored at http://sun.soci.niu.edu/~rslade/rms.htm
        Linked to bookstore at http://www97.pair.com/robslade/
Comp Sec Weekly: http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/computer_security
Robert Slade's Guide to Computer Viruses, 0-387-94663-2 (800-SPRINGER)