Subject: Review: Sister To The Rain, by Michaels

From: [email-masked] (HKlaus6073)
Date: 21 Sep 1998 12:58:27 -0400

SISTER TO THE RAIN by Melissa Michaels
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

San Francisco private investigators Rosie Lavine and Shannon Arthur do not
want to have elves as clients ever again after their previous case almost
left them for dead (see COLD IRON). Who would want as their client a
sociopath, which is what an elf actually is. So who else would walk into
their office seeking to obtain their services than one of those frail
looking, too pretty beings. Rosie and Shannon were recommended to Lord
Finandiel, a FOOF if there ever was one.  He wants the sleuths to
investigate a manifestation that is frightening all the children (wee ones
are held in honor by elves) in his community of truebloods, mortal, and
halflings.

Since the fee is good and the case seems easy enough, Rosie and Shannon
agree to look into the eerie noises that are frightening everyone.
However, the simple case takes a bizarre turn when a mortal is murdered.
Now, the two Bay area detectives must ferret out a killer before things
turn bloody between the races struggling to share a community in the
California mountains.

SISTER TO THE RAIN, the second book in the Lavine fantasy mysteries, is a
astounding who-done-it that makes supernatural creatures seem absolutely
real.  The story line is fun, but the characters steal the show. From the
acerbically sarcastic Rosie to the prejudicial Finandiel, readers feel
like elves are genuine and living in California. Though similar to Laurell
Hamilton's Blake mysteries, Melissa Michaels makes her own distinct magic
that fans of fantasy who-done-its and the fantasy genre as a whole will
want to read. P.S. To learn what a FOOF is, read the book.

Harriet Klausner

%T SISTER TO THE RAIN 
%A Melissa Michaels
%I Roc
%D Oct 1998
%O $5.99
%P 304 pp.
%G ISBN 0-451-45730-7