Subject: UNDEAD by Roxanne Longstreet

From: [email-masked] ()
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 01:53:44 GMT

The UNDEAD
			a review
                           by	
			Ray Tate

	I so wanted to give THE UNDEAD a good review, but it's not
	gonna happen.  THE UNDEAD features one of the most likable
	vampires since St. Germaine.  His name is Adam Radburn, and
	he is the type of vampire who drinks from willing donors,
	attempts to blend with society and is really just a thinly
	disguised super-hero.  I love this type of vampire, and I'm
	so sick of the chic, leather-clad murderous yahoos who
	commit murder then whine about how misunderstood they are.
	Call me old-fashioned, but I like clearly defined good versus
	evil.  So what's the problem with the book?

			SPOILERS AHOY!

	The book isn't about medical examiner Adam Radburn! The novel
	is told from the POV of Michael Bowman, an oversexed surgeon
	married to an oversexed wife/police detective who has an 
	affair with her clod of a partner.  See, Adam has been Mike's
	friend for years, and after all this time, Mike suddenly notices
	Adam doesn't cast a reflection.  Gasp!  This leaves Adam with
	two choices.  One, he can kill Mike, or he can hypnotize him.
	The first option isn't an option, and the second option doesn't
	quite take.  Mike begins having flashes of memory which lead
	him to follow Adam and solve the mystery.  Here's the main
	problem.  We know Adam is good.  We know Mike isn't in any
	danger.  So the chase--when hunter becomes hunted--becomes
	comedy broad enough for the humor to escape.  There's no
	suspense.  No tension.  Nothing.  It is for this and many
	out of place sub-plots why the book failed for me.

%T The Undead
%A Roxanne Longstreet		
%I Zebra Books; Kensington Pub. 
%D 1993 U.S.A.
%C New York, NY
%G ISBN 0-8217-4068-7