Subject: REDWALL by Brian Jacques: reviewed.

From: [email-masked] (Hy Tran)
Date: 3 Dec 91 18:17:36 GMT

REDWALL, by Brian Jacques
Review by Hy Tran (copyright 1991)

Our hero is Matthias, a young novitiate in Redwall Abbey.  The residents
of Mossflower Woods, the abbey, and the environs have lived in peace and
prosperity for generations, when the evil Cluny the Scourge arrives, laying
waste and destruction to the countryside.  Matthias discovers in himself
unexpected strengths, and helps lead and unite the woodland folks in
repelling the villains.

Sounds fairly routine, right?  If you also include the elderly scholar
Brother Methuselah and the quest for the sword of the legendary Martin, 
warrior founder of Redwall Abbey, you'd still have a pretty routine story:
But Matthias is a mouse, as is the Father Abbot.  The loyal Constance
is a badger; the evil Cluny and his lieutenants are bilge rats.  "Oh, all
right" you say, "we've seen this before:  Adams' `Watership Down' (it's
even mentioned in the backcover blurb), or other imitators (for instance,
Williams' `Tailchaser's Song').  So what?"  You might even mention some
children's books, such as Margery Sharpe's "Miss Bianca" stories.  But
what we have here is a familiar tale that's well told.  We cheer for
the earnest young Matthias; we boo the fox Chickenhound; we jump for joy
when the elderly Methuselah foils an attack; and we delight in the antics
of Basil Stag Hare.  Upon critical reading, there's an awful lot of willing
disbelief to suspend; nor is there the texture and depth of a "Watership
Down."  (But then, to be compared with a masterpiece, and to be found wanting
is not a criticism...)

Don't be misled:  This is a very fun read.  The setting is medieval; the
heros may be mice, but they look and act like people (just furrier...).
The book will be found shelved with adult science fiction & fantasy, but it's
ideally suited for young teens (though adults too will be entertained).

%A Brian Jacques
%T Redwall
%I Avon
%D 1986
%G 0-380-70827-2
%O $4.50

Hy Tran

[email-masked]