Subject: REVIEW: "Firestar", Michael Flynn

From: "Rob Slade, doting grandpa of Ryan and Trevor" <[email-masked]>
Date: 13 Aug 1998 14:18:17 -0400

"Firestar" by Michael Flynn
	Review Copyright 1998 Robert M. Slade

I suppose what attracted me initially was that the book dealt so
extensively with education, which is dear to my heart.  But the first two
thirds of the book are exceptionally finely crafted in terms of tone,
development, plotting, and even poetry.  Rather than mere newsstand fodder
genre fiction, like so many other science fiction, mystery, thriller,
etc. genre volumes, at its best this approaches the level of the literary
novel.

The science is not bad either.  While not burdening the reader with
detail, the technologies described are plausible and, with minor
exceptions, achievable with existing or foreseeable engineering.  Careful
study and attention to orbital and celestial mechanics, rocket engine
technology, and even metallurgy is evident.  Solar panel conversion and
laser power transmission is perhaps just a tad optimistic, but acceptable.
In the early parts of the book the business and economic aspects seem to
be quite reasonable as well.

Computers and communications are generally presented realistically.
Laptops, "assistants," voice recognition, and communications are all quite
functional.  The one area that I have a significant problem with is really
only a side note to the story, and one that could easily be excised or
modified: the mythical "lone genius hacker" so fondly beloved by fiction
writers.  Supergeek or not, realtime navigation software is nothing to
mess with on the fly, in a rush, at the last minute.  The exploits of a
lone wolf breaking into pretty much every system on the planet is also
just too far beyond the realm of the possible to even entertain.

As I have intimated, though, the last third (by page count) of the book is
not up to the quality of the beginning.  Plotting, characterization,
development, and even the poetry and technology suffer towards the end.
Having been grabbed by the early chapters, and held solidly through most
of the book, I was seriously disappointed by the time part three came
around, and completely let down by the ending.

%A   Michael Flynn
%C   175 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY  10010
%D   1996
%G   0-812-53006-3
%I   Tor Books/Tom Doherty Assoc.
%O   [email-masked] www.tor.com 
%P   885 p.
%T   Firestar