Subject: Review of "Ground-Ties" by Jane S. Fancher

From: [email-masked] (P. Douglas Reeder)
Date: 15 May 93 14:17:06 GMT

A Review of "Ground-Ties" by Jane S. Fancher
        review copyright 1993 by P. Douglas Reeder

     The setting of _Ground-Ties_ combines the traditional
FTL-spaceship-and-faster-FTL-communication element with a
newer one: the world-wide computer network.  The combination
is surprising at first, but logical, given FTL communication
and computers.  (I dislike assumtion of FTL technology; it's
so unimaginative; FTL star-faring civilations look too much
like our own.)  This civilization has cut its ties with
Earth, and lives in space habitats, except for various
Reconstructionist movments (despised by the majority) who
seek to reconstruct various cultures from Earth, usually
colonizing planets to do so.  The government (The Alliance)
is aparantly dominated by a small oligarchy who practice
nepotism and prejudice against "Recons"
(Reconstructionists).  One the major themes is the tensinons
between the Recons and the rest of society; unfortunately we
see almost nothing of ordinary society; all the significant
non-Recon characters are in government Security.  HuteNamid
is the Recon planet where most of the action takes place,
and the Recons there derive there cultural ideas from Native
Americans.
     The characters are realistic; the conflict arises
because the characters have differing goals.  The oligarchy
remains offstage.  Admiral Loren Cantrell and her people of
the security force is working to blunt the influence of the
oligarchy.  Stephen Ridenow's Recon heritage was hidden when
he entered the academy at ten and now, ten very rough years
later, is being graduated early for this mission.  Dr.
Wesley Smith and Dr. Paul Corlaney are non-Recon researchers
on HuteNamid, each with his project to forward.  Governor
Sagiimagen Tyeewapi, his daughter Anevai, and Nayati Hatawa
are three Recons of HuteNamid with different perspectives on
how best to preserve independance of action for their
planet.
     The plot involves missing data and a paper by Smith
that could seriously affect the Net as the characters know
it, and only Ridenow recognized its importance.  As
Cantrell, her team, and Ridenow investigate, more strange
things turn up and everything gets complicated.
     It is difficult to follow all the information in the
opening scenes, but persevere, it becomes clear before long.
The setting seems unlikely at first, but makes sense once
you get used to it.
     The book ends before all the loose ends are tied up;
either there is a sequel in the works or Fancher has had to
cut down a larger story, presumably for the editor, this
being her first novel.  This didn't bother me overmuch, as I
wasn't working too hard at following all the plot lines.
     All in all, it's quite good for a first novel and is
well worth reading if you like mature, realistic characters
and plots.  I will be on the lookout for more of her works.

%A Jane S. Fancher
%T Ground-Ties
%I Warner Books, Inc.
%C New York, NY
%D copyright 1991
%P 376 pages
%K network, FTL, Indian, mature characters
%O paperback $4.50

-- 
Doug Reeder                              Internet: [email-masked]
Div, Grad & Curl                         USENET:   ...!tektronix!reed!reeder