Subject: Donaldson's new book

From: kdale@bbncc-eur (Keith Dale)
Date: 4 Nov 86 16:42:53 MET

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but Stephen
Donaldson has come out with a new book - "The Mirror of her Dreams".
It appears to be the first of a new series (makes no pretense at being
part of a trilogy) called "Mordant's Need", and Thomas Covenant does
not appear in it (!).  It is hard cover, of course, with 658 pages,
and the copy I have is a British edition - I picked it up in London
about three weeks ago.  I haven't read it yet (it's next on my list),
but for you die-hard Donaldson fans I've reproduced the dust cover
blurb below.  I'll offer a review shortly.

"The story of Terisa and Geraden began very much like a fable.  She
was a princess in a high tower.  He was a hero come to rescue her...
She was held prisoner by enchantment.  He was a fearless breaker of
enchantments.

"As in all the fables, they were make for each other."

'But their story was not that simple.  Terisa Morgan was plucked from
a life of wealthy dreariness in New York City by Geraden, the oldest
ever apprentice to the congery of Imagers in the threatened land of
Mordant.  Terisa's inexperience and Geraden's ineptitude made them
unlikely champions for Mordant in the desperate hour of her need.

'Yet the compelling sound of horns in her dream that drew her away
from her existing life, and the swirling images in his mirror that
pushed Geraden her way could not be denied.  For Mordant was directed
by the skill of the Imagers with their mirrors, and they now pointed
to a champion who would come to save them.

'The threat to Mordant is dire indeed, and comes from within the
kingdom as well as from the reappearance of the arch-Imager Vagel and
the invading hordes of Cadwal.  Suspicion is rife in the fortress of
Orison at the heart of King Joyse's Mordant.  Just who is friend and
who is foe in this confusing land of conjured images in unclear.
Somehow Terisa and Geraden must find a way through the many
treacherous traps laid for them, and must escape unharmed, too, from
the fierce attacks of a mysterious figure in black.'

Keith