Subject: A Man Rides Through (REVIEW)

From: [email-masked] (Brad Chisholm)
Date: 11 Nov 88 02:58:39 GMT

SUMMARY:  Less powerful than the Thomas Covanent series but more   
          enjoyable.

   I know, I know... It's a little late for a review, but this book just
recently came out in paperback, and since I'm such a cheapskate, I waited
until now to buy it.

   The first thing that struck me about it was the lack of a synopsis 
of the first book (Mirror of Her Dreams).  Instead, it simply begins 
directly where it left off, and since neither volume can stand on its
own, I had to go back and re-read the first before starting "A Man
Rides Through".  It may have been more appropriate to publish both
books as a single volume, although such a large book probably wouldn't
have made as much $$ as the two smaller (but still sizeable) books.

   The plot has a similar feel to the Covenant books: a depressed,
disillusioned, modern-day person gets wisked away to another world
where something basically ordinary here makes them the most powerful
person in the other world.  In this case it's the heroine's affinity
for mirrors, in a world where mirrors are used for transportation/trans-
lation.

   There's nothing particularly stellar about the plot, but I still 
found myself enjoying the book much more than I had anticipated.  The
story flows along very smoothly, and (perhaps I sould be embarrassed
to say this) I'm impressed by Donaldson's writing skill.  True, there
are no twists or surprises, but he uses that predictability well in 
setting up conflicts between the non-omniscient characters.  (Rather
like horror movies showing the audience the monster lurking under the
stairs as the baby-sitter descends to retrieve the laundry.)

   I'm not sure I would recommend "Mordant's Need" to everyone.  I
don't think it (they?) would appeal to action/adventure lovers, whether
in SF or fantasy.  Nevertheless, I found them quite enjoyable and
engrossing.  There's more than 1200 pages all told (both books SHOULD
be read together), but it doesn't FEEL like 1200 pages.

   I'll give it a +2 on a -4 to +4 (modified Leeper) scale.

                      == Brad L. Chisholm ==

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Brad L. Chisholm          |  I found these opinions lying in
        [email-masked]           |  the street and decided to adopt
  <backbone>!mcnc!rti!sas!sasblc  |  them and give them a good home.

From: [email-masked] (Gordon Hogenson)
Organization: Harvey Mudd College, Claremont, CA
Subject: Re: A Man Rides Through (REVIEW)
Date: 13 Nov 88 21:26:57 GMT

Reading "Mordant's Need" was one of the highest points of this past year.
It is easily the best book I have read in the last four years, in the field
of fantasy or any other field, and I do read quite a lot.  Why did I like/
love it so much?  Let me explain.  Both books absorbed me utterly for several
days--enough to enter my dreams and command my time for their duration.

The reviewer of "A Man Rides Through" mentions that the plot was not
extraordinary.  On the contrary, I found the plot superbly done--it seemed
to stand out as one of the few extraordinary plots of our time.  The plot
is totally believable because it it moved along by characters--each of 
whom has a goal, each of whom has theories about what has been happening,
none of whom is quite right.  Thus, while all the characters are working
to achieve their motives, sometimes with good intentions, sometimes not,
the plot unfolds as if it were happening before my eyes.  I am bewildered
that the plot was called "predictable"--I found it wildly unpredictable,
and I experienced genuine terror at the outcome--who would die and how many.
Each death was a severe blow to me, even the soldiers in the battle, who
die in every fantasy book of this kind.

The horror in this book is very potent, a powerful depiction of the most
twisted, insidious evil.  True, the theme is somewhat like that of the
Covenant novels--a disaffected human who finds her/himself the master of
wild magic...  But I think it is a strong, viable theme and Donaldson
brings it off well.

It always bewilders me when I hear that some people preferred the 
Covenant books to these.  I was not particularily excited by much of 
the Covenant material.  In "Mordant's Need", the furious pace never lets
up.  Many of you will disagree, but if you liked such books as The
Belgariad, and the Shannara books, Mordant's Need is lightning from the
heavens.  Worthy of the longlasting eminence of true genius, and many
rereadings.
Gordon Hogenson @ Harvey Mudd