Subject: REVIEW: Another Day, Another Dungeon by Greg Costikiyan

From: [email-masked] (Alan Wexelblat)
Date: 24 Oct 91 19:33:25 GMT

Another Day, Another Dungeon
			by Greg Costikyan
		Review Copyright (c) 1991 Alan Wexelblat

Greg Costikyan is one of the premiere game designers on the planet.  For
many years, his designs for historical, modern, and fantasy games kept SPI
afloat.  He also wrote a good number of modules for simulation and
role-playing games of all varieties.  Now he has turned his hand to writing
a novel, and the result is one of the best pieces of humor I've seen in a
while.

Trying to describe the plot of "Another Day" is kind of beside the point,
but here goes:  A mage, Timaeus, seeking a quick buck assembles a group of
adventurers to raid the Caverns of Cytorax.  In the group are a pair of
thieves who are constantly bickering, a dwarf who insists on carrying the
entire world in his backpack, a dumb but strong barbarian and a drunk
cleric.

Now at this point, you can be having one of two reactions.  If you're saying
to yourself something like "Oh, ghod, that sounds like too many adventures
I've seen," then you're on the right track.  This book is for you.  If
you're saying "What's funny about that?" then you probably haven't played
enough D&D or similar role-playing games to appreciate what's going on.
You all are excused now.

For those of us who recognize the stereotypes, though, Costikyan rewards us
by both cleverly filling them out and by piling on one silly misadventure
after another.  Along the way, there are jokes only we RPG weirdos are going
to find funny.  Like when the fire-mage detonates a fireball in a too-small
room, causing an incredible backwash and frying most of his own party.  Or
like when the dwarf, among his many other supplies, carries an eleven-foot
pole.  Why?  "Because there are some things I wouldn't touch with a ten-foot
pole."

The entire book is full of in-jokes and good puns, but rather than let this
get in the way (as some humor writers tend to do), Costikyan keeps the plot
moving along at a satisfying pace.  The characters remain true to their
stereotypes, but they also have a life and an interest to the reader beyond
their use as the butt of humor.

The cover says that this is "Book one of Cups and Sorcery" but don't let
that put you off.  The immediate action is satisfactorily resolved in this
volume while leaving openings for future volumes.

%A Greg Costikyan
%T Another Day, Another Dungeon
%I TOR Fantasy
%G ISBN 0-812-50140-3
%O $3.95
%D 1990