Subject: Review: Spirit Fox, by Reichert & Wingert

From: [email-masked] (HKlaus6073)
Date: 12 Nov 1998 14:26:54 -0500

SPIRIT FOX by Mickey Zucker Reichert and Jennifer Wingert
	Review Copyright 1998 Harriet Klausner

The war of the Gods has finally ended, leading to peace among the mortals.
The "joyous reunion" has led to the people of the High Marchlands
outlawing law.  Weapons are put aside and serenity hugs the land. In this
serene environment, Kiarda is born. Like many of her people, the noble
lass is linked to a fox, but the animal dies before the duo bonds. The
spirit of the deceased creature merges with that of Kiarda inside the
infant's body. Her father, Lord Stane hides this information from everyone
including his daughter.

Years later, the peace is threatened by an outside army led by vicious
mages, willing to use the forbidden magic to destroy the animal linked
people. At the same time, Kiarda has become a shapeshifter. Stane unfairly
accuses the man she loves of raping her, forcing him to flee. However,
Kiarda has no time to ponder her beloved because she must risk her life to
save her people from the power of an enemy who feel they have justice on
their side.

SPIRIT FOX is an interesting opening entry to a new fantasy series. The
intriguing premise is well designed, but the authors have tried to provide
too much detail in one novel. Thus, the story line occasionally loses
sight of its central theme. Mickey Zucker Reichert and Jennifer Wingert
are clearly talented authors, whose work will generate excitement amidst
genre fans, especially younger readers.

Harriet Klausner

%T SPIRIT FOX
%A Mickey Zucker Reichert
%A Jennifer Wingert
%I Daw
$D Dec 1998
%O $23.95
%P 368 pp.
%G ISBN 0-88677-806-9